Grizz encounter near Wolf Creek, MT

Shot 5 times, only one was a fatal hit, and one other only grazed it.... curious on the gun that was used and his skill level. Not to shane or judge him, but as a good wake up call that I/(we) as a hunter/shooter isn't no damn rambo.

Shot 5 times, only one was a fatal hit, and one other only grazed it.... curious on the gun that was used and his skill level. Not to shane or judge him, but as a good wake up call that I/(we) as a hunter/shooter isn't no damn rambo.
I shot the one that nailed me 5 times with a .44 magnum at point blank range, but didn't kill her. In the heat of battle aiming is not as simple as we like to think. I hope USFWS doesn't try to punish him, but I can see it happening, especially since he had no spray with him.

Grizz charging "might" get the adrenalin pumping through the system. Hard to stay on target when looking at a big, furry bowl of Jello running at you.

Lucky guy.

In the heat of battle aiming is not as simple as we like to think.
This is something that most tend to forget, including me. But it goes back to training.

I hope USFWS doesn't try to punish him, but I can see it happening, especially since he had no spray with him.
Considering the article mentioned he had non, I bet they'll be going after him on that. Even though the data doesn't support it, but to each their own.

I'll have to do some looking. But I thought I read about 2ish years ago of a griz attack either in MT or WY that the person was charged due to not using spray first... I'll have to do some digging now.
I can see where if someone had it and chose not to use it, depending on the circumstance that could play into it.

There is absolutely no way a person can be charged for not using what they don’t have. And it’s not a legal requirement to have it.

Lucky shot, training always helps for sure but when you have a grizzly surprise you at close distance, by the time you draw and start shooting at that thing charging full speed jumping up and down luck has a lot to do with it.

My group was told by a local in MT last year that if you get attacked by a grizz that you should make sure to shoot to kill. He said if they think there is any indication you were just trying to wound it that you were not in danger.

Anyone got anything to back that theory up?

Lucky shot, training always helps for sure but when you have a grizzly surprise you at close distance, by the time you draw and start shooting at that thing charging full speed jumping up and down luck has a lot to do with it.
I'm pretty sure he was aiming at that bear to defend his life in a totally volatile situation. Pretty sure intended results are to hit the bear and break the charge seems like I'm glad he's ok not lucky. No you don't have to carry spray and no it's not illegal to carry a gun and defend yourself from a grizzly bear in MT.

I'm pretty sure he was aiming at that bear to defend his life in a totally volatile situation. Pretty sure intended results are to hit the bear and break the charge seems like I'm glad he's ok not lucky. No you don't have to carry spray and no it's not illegal to carry a gun and defend yourself from a grizzly bear in MT.
Not sure what you mean by that but what I was saying is it's not easy to shoot and kill a grizzly at full charge with a pistol. I think he is lucky he made a kill shot on it before it was able to get to him.

Absolutely not on private land. It’s not in general on public lands, and I’m pretty sure we weren’t required to carry it as part our backcountry use permit in GNP. I sure don’t remember having it and I’m certain we would have if it was required.
Ahhh... I think what I was thinking was someone in YSP or thr Elk Refuge in WY, where they were required to have bear spray due to a permit and they didn't.

It's their game, their rules, their laws, their interpretations, their enforcers.
They will do what they will do.
That said, I'd never let that stop me in a "kill or be killed" situation.

Back