Group Hunting…. Who gets to shoot?

Triple d

FNG
Going on first group elk hunt this year and was wondering what tactics you all have used to decide who gets to shoot when? There will be 3 of us going and will likely be hunting together. We all get along very good but just thought I would see if there was any good tips or ideas other then using rock, paper, scissors to decide who gets to shoot the bugling bull!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt separately and you won't have to make that decision.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Is it a meat hunt? Does somebody have a certain class animal in mind? That would affect order depending on what is found.

Hunt separate
Whomever spots the shooter elk first
Draw straws

Are all options I’ve used in the past.

break it down into time slots. Shooter 1 gets daylight to 10am, shooter 2 gets 10-3, shooter 3 gets 3 till dark & rotate.
I assume you're talking about archery? If that's the case it's whoever has a good shot, period.

Rifle would be totally different as you would probably have more time to figure it out when the time came.

Hunted last year with buddy’s. Both just wanted to shoot whatever bull they saw and whatever was easy Pickens.

So find out who wants anything and who wants bigger.

I was also willing to go after hard to reach bulls and they weren’t as willing to work hard.

So try to figure out those types of scenarios. That may help.

wnelson14

WKR
Whosever vehicle you take they are first shooter then Just alternate days, if you want to move locations it’s up to the shooter on that day when to leave. Or something similar works well usually

I pretty much just try to let everyone else shoot first, works great in pairs but with a trio the other two can play rock paper scissors and I'll be last.

Generally, we hunt near each other but not together.

But if together, whoever has gone the longest without scoring is my rule of thumb, or the new guy if applicable. There is real joy in getting a guy his first elk. We all split the meat up anyway.

Obviously if a guy can’t make the shot because of bad angle, too far, obscured vision, etc., then take the shot rather than blowing the chance.

ToolMann

WKR
Whoever spots it gets first rights, if they pass it’s up to the next guy.
Exactly how we do it when hunting with the guys. Keeps it simple. You spot it, you have first dibs.

A bit different when hunting with my wife, which is most of my hunts. We both want the other to fill their tag more than our own. We've had a few of the "you shoot it", "no, you shoot it" scenarios. She's even gone as far as "forgetting" to load her magazine so I have to shoot. 😁 It is always a good time hunting with her.

BDRam16

WKR
For archery we decided to alternate days but it was decided that we were both ready just in case the first guy didn’t have an angle.

OP
T

Triple d

FNG
Appreciate all the input! Some of those ideas I never considered. Two of us it will be be our first time so we wont be picky. We will be archery hunting so only one person might have the shot opportunity is a good point. Thanks again for the input!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Solo or do a round robin. When you choose one hunter, then by default the other two are the callers and set back from the shooter anyway. So in most cases the callers will be drawing the bull to be in front of the shooter......i.e. well out of the other two's range. BUT.....elk don't always do what you want them to do, and they can and will come in at different angles to the callers. One of the callers may have one drop into their lap, or may even have a different bull sneak into them. In those cases, if you have a good shot at an elk, you shoot it.

JNDEER

WKR
For elk- We had an archery shoot off to determine the order of shooter. Shooters were up for the day, next day is the next shooter.

For deer- find it you shoot it unless limited entry tags then it’s what kind of animals you want to target to shoot.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
When rifle hunting with buddies …

Spotter gets first refusal. I thought this was ubiquitous.

When hunting with kids …

1. If the kid spots, they shoot.

2. Otherwise spotter’s kid shoots.

3. If a kid has never punched a tag … they cut the line.

Edit:

For archery hunting:

Alternate caller/shooter days or even alternate sets. Designated shooter gets to decide when to set up when alternating sets.

Last edited:

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
For archery we switch shooter for each encounter. We’ve done opposite days but it seems someone gets screwed if they turn off a day. Generally it’s clear that we have or haven’t had an interaction and on to the next. It’s worked for us.

But generally we split up and cover more ground and every couple days hunt together to break it up some.

We also split meat, but if someone tags out and there are still unpunched tags in camp you’re packing elk solo while the other tries to kill one still. I’ve never been in a position to keep hunting as I’ve been the lucky first elk killed every trip lol. Had one trip where I was packing my elk out and got an inreach 6 miles in. That wasn’t that much fun.

Broadhead

FNG
My trio always draws straws (grass, sticks, etc.) to determine shooting order. Long straw is shooter #1, middle straw is shooter #2, and short straw is shooter #3. We trade shooters anytime we have a true encounter. An encounter counts if an elk comes into archery range whether or not shooter #1 has a shot or not. Shooter #2 is always ready in case shooter #1 doesn't have a shot and shooter #3 is the caller. This has always worked well for my group and covers @grossklw's point. It sucks to be the guy who's shooter on the day that they're tightlipped. This helps spread the wealth of action a bit.