Guide Light MT Frame

How does the MR Guide Light MT frame do for carrying weight, say compared to the SG Krux? What is the frame height? Thanks

No experience with SG, but my glmt carries well enough for the weight I choose to deal with. I'm the limit, not the frame.

That said, it seems to fit me well, I've tried others that ...carried weight better?...but the frame fit/feel felt more board like and I didn't like that.

*by carry weight better, I mean it didn't matter if it was 40 or 80#s, upside down or parallel to the ground, it carried without care, well. I would say the glmt is more finicky to how things are placed.

Loads matter, weights placement etc, the glmt works well for me so long as I'm not ignorant in whole to how I'm loaded, where as other frames had better margin of error

nobody

WKR
Mine sucked. I tried for a year to make my 2020 model Metcalf work, adjusted fit, watched every how-to available, everything but drive from central Utah to Bozeman and make them fit me themselves. If I ever got more than about 25-30 lbs into it, it would sag down my back and sit mid-butt. In the process, the pack would cut off circulation to my legs. I had one overnight trip where I had about 30 lbs in the pack and hiked in 2.5 miles to camp/scout, and about halfway in both of my little and second toes on each foot were completely numb, and the numb feeling went all the way up the outside of my calf to about where the pockets on my pants were at. That numb feeling got worse on the rest of the trip, and by the time we got back to the Jeep my 3 outside toes on both feet, my whole butt, and a 3 inch wide swath down the outside of my were totally numb, and the numbness lasted from that day (Saturday) until the following Sunday (8 days total).

On top of that, the frame stays just seemed so freaking short. No matter what I did, the load lifters never pulled any load off my shoulders. They were about 2 or 3” too short. It pulled super bad off my shoulders. I literally couldn’t get rid of it fast enough, biggest waste of money on hunting gear I’ve ever had. Ever.

Picked up a Stone Glacier Evo 40/56 the next week. They piece together a custom deal for me (x curve frame sheet, Krux frame stays), and shipped it same day to me because I needed it fast. It showed up 3 days before an archery elk trip, and I fit it up according to SG’s how-to videos (about 5 minutes total), loaded it up with 50 lbs of gear, strapped my bow to it, and packed in 4 miles. That 50 lbs felt lighter than half that much in the Mystery Ranch.

For reference, I’m 5’ 11”, 33 inch waist, 200 lbs, and broad shoulders (42” suit coat for those of you who understand). I’m not strangely built or anything, I’m pretty average build overall. And the Mystery Ranch didn’t fit me AT ALL.

I’m just one guy, lots of people use them successfully. But I’ll never own another.

But hey, I’m just some random guy on the internet…

Mr fan here. I havent used SG but ran Kifaru for a while. MR worked better for me. I have to make sure my hip belt is snug, but otherwise my MR frame carries as well as any pack I have owned.

IMO, once you get into that top tier of packs it comes down to personal fit and preference. What works well for me is going to be a torture device for others. Unfortunately, the only way to really dial in what works for you is to run each type under a load and find out what works best for you.

godwinmt

FNG
So with what's been said so far, it appears the MR may struggle with larger/taller people? Any feedback from shorter people with a sub 18" torso?

So with what's been said so far, it appears the MR may struggle with larger/taller people? Any feedback from shorter people with a sub 18" torso?
Not your question, but I am not sure it is a tall or short thing. FWIW I am 6’3” and have big shoulders/back. My torso measures +20 inches but I run my MR frame sheet a couple of inches on the short side Based on experimenting with it under load.

OP
G
Great replies, thanks. I need to measure my torso. I used to have a nice frame and carried a lot of weight with it and it wasn't bad but SG seems more comfortable. I sold the nice MR pack because it weighed so much and have been using SG since

nobody

WKR
Great replies, thanks. I need to measure my torso. I used to have a nice frame and carried a lot of weight with it and it wasn't bad but SG seems more comfortable. I sold the nice MR pack because it weighed so much and have been using SG since
The consensus from reviews and videos and forums seems to be that the Guide Lite MT is a step up from the Nice frame, so you’re half right. The MR is still super heavy for the bag capacity and frame capacity when compared with all the competition, and that’s not even my opinion, it’s fact. Check specs of all the major pack companies and MR is typically either the heaviest or close to it. If your SG is more comfortable already for you, as the saying goes, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

nobody

WKR
Not your question, but I am not sure it is a tall or short thing. FWIW I am 6’3” and have big shoulders/back. My torso measures +20 inches but I run my MR frame sheet a couple of inches on the short side Based on experimenting with it under load.
To your point, the torso length seems to almost be a moot point. I’m built nothing like you and am significantly shorter, and the frame is obviously too short for me. I measure out at an 18.5 inch torso, and purchased size according to mystery ranch guidelines. It really is just a crap shoot and a trial and error thing. One more reason to love the infinite adjustability of the shoulder straps and such on lots of the packs on the market.

And it’s another reason there’s many different Pack manufacturers on the market, and they’re all successful. Packs are so personal, and one person’s trash is another man’s treasure.

OP
G
The consensus from reviews and videos and forums seems to be that the Guide Lite MT is a step up from the Nice frame, so you’re half right. The MR is still super heavy for the bag capacity and frame capacity when compared with all the competition, and that’s not even my opinion, it’s fact. Check specs of all the major pack companies and MR is typically either the heaviest or close to it. If your SG is more comfortable already for you, as the saying goes, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
Well, the only reason I'm shopping is I was thinking I'd like a shorter frame. My "looking up" mobility is limited when say making a stalk - crawling, going uphill. I do wear my hip belt high. But I've been thinking nothing short of a plain day pack (or NICE frame) would solve this, no other frame pack would be short enough anyways. But I think a 24" SG frame would be a small improvement for me.

nobody

WKR
Well, the only reason I'm shopping is I was thinking I'd like a shorter frame. My "looking up" mobility is limited when say making a stalk - crawling, going uphill. I do wear my hip belt high. But I've been thinking nothing short of a plain day pack (or NICE frame) would solve this, no other frame pack would be short enough anyways. But I think a 24" SG frame would be a small improvement for me.
While I understand where you're coming from, I would rather have the frame be a little bit high up on the back of my head and limit mobility that way than have non-functional load lifters because the frame is too short. So just keep that in mind as you explore this, because the height of the Mystery Ranch lifters, for me, was non-functional.

Taller frame stays are always functional for shorter people, but the reciprocal isn't true. Shorter equals less lift on a load, and as annoying as my 26" frame is when I'm just running and gunning in daypack mode (totally understand what you're saying there), I sure love it when I get some weight in the load shelf and want to lift it off my shoulders, and even a half inch shorter would be too short under heavy (like elk quarters) loads.

And again, I'm a pretty average height and torso length. I wear my hip belt high like you say you do, above my belt line with the point of my Iliac crest right smack in the center of my hip belt, as it should be. Basically, my belly button sits right behind the top half of the waist belt buckle. It sounds like you're not actually wearing it high, you're wearing it in the correct location, which is higher than most people thing the pack should sit at (until you get the pack fitted properly).

OP
G
While I understand where you're coming from, I would rather have the frame be a little bit high up on the back of my head and limit mobility that way than have non-functional load lifters because the frame is too short. So just keep that in mind as you explore this, because the height of the Mystery Ranch lifters, for me, was non-functional.

Taller frame stays are always functional for shorter people, but the reciprocal isn't true. Shorter equals less lift on a load, and as annoying as my 26" frame is when I'm just running and gunning in daypack mode (totally understand what you're saying there), I sure love it when I get some weight in the load shelf and want to lift it off my shoulders, and even a half inch shorter would be too short under heavy (like elk quarters) loads.

And again, I'm a pretty average height and torso length. I wear my hip belt high like you say you do, above my belt line with the point of my Iliac crest right smack in the center of my hip belt, as it should be. Basically, my belly button sits right behind the top half of the waist belt buckle. It sounds like you're not actually wearing it high, you're wearing it in the correct location, which is higher than most people thing the pack should sit at (until you get the pack fitted properly).
I agree about the hip belt, I think it's the right way to wear. I basically keep raising it until I find where I like it, especially with weight, and it's always alot higher than I started out.

On the pack, I want the best of both worlds, day pack and backpacking pack. I think this is what the MR Popup tries to do, but maybe not well, I didn't get it at first.

I still think a 24" SG frame would still have working load lifters for a lot of people, I bet they'd sell a lot of frames this size if it was offered.

Thanks for your comments man, good info!

OP
G
I will add again, only in my opinion but compared to the quality of the original NICE frame and bags I feel their quality has gone down compared to the other pack companies.
The original NICE frames, and bags were bullet proof. Their military line probably still is.