Guided elk hunt outfitter

USNGUNNER

FNG
I’m looking for some opinions on some reputable outfitters for a guided elk hunt for my father and I next fall. I don’t have any real preference on a location as long as the size of bull/success odds are good. We don’t have any preference points anywhere so this will have to be OTC or land owner tags. Budget for both $12000.

Any advice will be helpful. Thanks I’m advance!

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at Colorado. Though, a lot of outfitters are charging $6k+ per hunter and then expecting a tip on top of that. I think San Juan Outfitting would be in your price range and have a good reputation.

What size of bulls? Are happy with 50% success rates are do you want closer to 75%?

Before you say we want to kill 2 giants know that 6k per hunter is average for a fully guided hunt.

OP
USNGUNNER

USNGUNNER

FNG
What size of bulls? Are happy with 50% success rates are do you want closer to 75%?

Before you say we want to kill 2 giants know that 6k per hunter is average for a fully guided hunt.
that’s for the reply. I’m assuming with this budget I can expect sub 280”? This will likely be my dads only hunt so success rate is my priority. Is $6k a person on the low end of a guided hunt and if so, would you recommend throwing a little more at it have better quality hunt and bull?

$6000 should get you a quality hunt for bulls to 300 with a chance at bigger. But that’s public land with normal success rates. If you really want to up your odds of killing look for private land hunts.

OP
USNGUNNER

USNGUNNER

FNG
$6000 should get you a quality hunt for bulls to 300 with a chance at bigger. But that’s public land with normal success rates. If you really want to up your odds of killing look for private land hunts.
Oh hell, I’d be plenty happy with a 300. That’s good to hear. It might be worth it to spend a little more just for increased odds. Thanks for the input

j_volt

WKR
A $6000 hunt with a Wyoming general tag or with luck in the New Mexico guided draw is much different than $6000 on an OTC hunt.

In 2024, you aren't paying for bulls at $6000, you are paying for logistics and local expertise. The elk size/odds fall in line with the area from there.

A $6000 hunt with a Wyoming general tag or with luck in the New Mexico guided draw is much different than $6000 on an OTC hunt.

In 2024, you aren't paying for bulls at $6000, you are paying for logistics and local expertise. The elk size/odds fall in line with the area from there.
Great post

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
I know a few fellows that have taken the $6,000 - easy draw type of hunts. Mostly they were on public land and none of them came home with anything close to a 300" bull. Some had unrealistic expectations and passed on legal bulls, only to leave with nothing. A couple of guys never even saw an elk. Private land hunts are normally higher priced (maybe in the $7,500 range) and do not always produce, but generally chances are much better in the easily drawn units.

Unfortunately $6K will not get you any good private land outfitted hunts. $6K should get you a decent Montana or Colorado outfitted hunts. That doesn't cover the Elk tag which ranges from $700-$1200 depending on State and the Tip to the outfitter. I also don't think that gives you a great chance at a 300 bull as they are hard to find on public land. Realistic expectations at the $ level are a 5 or 6 point legal bull. If you stumble across a 300 great but they are not as plentiful as people may lead you to believe.

Coberly Creek Outfitters in Tonopas, CO runs a good operation in that price range. good lodge, good food.
Guides work hard. Public land hunting.

My Montana outfitter was great and in that price range but he sold and retired and the new guy isn't good.
He told me M & M outfitters out of Dillon is good. Monty Hankinson. I haven't used him yet, but value
my outfitters opinion.

Before booking any outfitter call references, post the name here to get feedback.

OP
USNGUNNER

USNGUNNER

FNG
Unfortunately $6K will not get you any good private land outfitted hunts. $6K should get you a decent Montana or Colorado outfitted hunts. That doesn't cover the Elk tag which ranges from $700-$1200 depending on State and the Tip to the outfitter. I also don't think that gives you a great chance at a 300 bull as they are hard to find on public land. Realistic expectations at the $ level are a 5 or 6 point legal bull. If you stumble across a 300 great but they are not as plentiful as people may lead you to believe.

Coberly Creek Outfitters in Tonopas, CO runs a good operation in that price range. good lodge, good food.
Guides work hard. Public land hunting.

My Montana outfitter was great and in that price range but he sold and retired and the new guy isn't good.
He told me M & M outfitters out of Dillon is good. Monty Hankinson. I haven't used him yet, but value
my outfitters opinion.

Before booking any outfitter call references, post the name here to get feedback.
That’s some good information. It sounds like I need to save up a little more money and postpone another year. Thank you for the reply

j_volt

WKR
That’s some good information. It sounds like I need to save up a little more money and postpone another year. Thank you for the reply
I would heavily suggest planning ahead. Most outfitters with availability next year, except for those that are hanging on by random draws, have openings for a reason.

Elk hunting while still a great adventure has become very expensive. Non Resident tags have increased in price in almost every state. Outifitters used to charge $3K now charge $8K. Gas prices/Food prices/Guide costs all account for this. Landowner tags have skyrocketed due to companies buying them to resell for Outfitted hunts.

A good bet is to join one of the online hunting consutants like Epic or Huntin fool and contact them with your budget and goals. In my experience they deal with good operations.

My last suggestion is focus on a good operation/good experience not rack score. A great week of good food,
good hard working guides, warm bed/shower and shooting a legal bull beats a double wide trailer, greasy food and the "chance" of maybe seeing a 300 bull. Unless you want to throw down $15-20K and get both :)

Good luck