Votes: 4 23.5%
  • RSI Smartcap

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • ARE REVO CX

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

Cody_W

WKR
I ordered a new Super Duty that’ll be delivered in May and have been going back and forth between putting a Diamondback HD tonneau or going with either an ARE REVO or RSI Smartcap.

I’ve always just ran an open bed, but I’m ready to try something different. I’d love to hear y’all’s experiences.

I’ve attached a few pictures of the products mentioned.

Attachments

• IMG_2748.jpeg
    IMG_2748.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2751.jpeg
    IMG_2751.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2753.jpeg
    IMG_2753.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 62

Ucsdryder

WKR
My previous truck had a hard topper, bed height, the new truck has an ARE topper. Both 6.5 foot beds. It’s not even close. The bed height hard topper was borderline worthless. Almost no room in the bed for hunting and camping trips.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Would not consider any fiberglass over those smart caps. The build quality, venting and sealing are all huge upgrades.

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
My previous truck had a hard topper, bed height, the new truck has an ARE topper. Both 6.5 foot beds. It’s not even close. The bed height hard topper was borderline worthless. Almost no room in the bed for hunting and camping trips.

I’ve been worried of this. That’s why I though the diamondback might be a good option since it has 1600lb capacity on top with load cleats to lash down.

7mm-08

WKR
Another vote for a full canopy here. I went with an A.R.E. MX series and couldn't be happier with my choice. I have another truck with a cab-height canopy (23 years) as well, which is excellent, but can't hold a candle to the extra volume I gained with the MX series.

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
Would not consider any fiberglass over those smart caps. The build quality, venting and sealing are all huge upgrades.
My one reservation has been their price hikes this past year. At some point I want to draw the line. $4,500 on a truck cap is a bit ridiculous. The truck costs enough as it is.

wyosteve

WKR
From my perspective, it mainly depends on how you use the truck bed. If you haul bigger, tall type items, you'd want something that gives open bed access. Same if you use a gooseneck/5th wheel hitch. If you just throw your stuff in and want a place to possibly sleep, then a topper is the answer. I have a Bakflip on mine. It folds to open the bed completely if needed. Can fold part way if desired. It's rated to hold either 300 or 400 pounds on top.

TSAMP

WKR
My one reservation has been their price hikes this past year. At some point I want to draw the line. $4,500 on a truck cap is a bit ridiculous. The truck costs enough as it is.
I was quoted 3300 for the RSI without the window recently. There are threads on here about them but the general complaints are the door latch mechanism freezing up and the tiny windows provide poor ventilation if you have dogs or camp back there in warm weather.

The door latch issue is well documented and they've yet to update the designs as far as I know.

Personally the features in fiberglass toppers such as auto lock and bigger windows drove me that route.

If RSI got a little more modern I'd go that route for my next one.

schmalzy

WKR
Tried a cover and ultimately went for the full shell. Made the truck significantly more useful with it. Sleeping in back, kids hanging out in there while skiing, and a multitude of other situations. They’re pricey but if you’re using your truck a lot for recreation I think it’s tough to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldor

WKR
I am all about aluminum caps back in the day. you could take them off buy yourself for larger loads etc. Had some security. At todays prices I just run a Truxedo cover, they last for years. My last fiberglass shell was to heavy to be taking on and off . I still use my truck as a truck , it is muti use so bed access is needed. Really like the Smartcap idea direct to consumer.

Idaboy

WKR
It all depends on what kind of functionality you need....if you are thinking of sleeping in or might be carrying things that won't fit under tonneau due to height, then have to reconsider....if you just need some secure storage with ability to stack something on then hard tonneau not bad....I have a Retrax and it's a beast/solid. But I don't sleep/camp in my truck. It really depends on how often you use back of truck. The drawback to full topper cover is loading/can't stand up in, and I am getting too old to be climbing around in back of truck.Removing and storing topper can sometimes be a PITA.....if I only used truck for outdoor adventures and hunting then I would consider smartcap.

Last edited:
I actually went from a topper to a diamondback and preferred it. Truck rode better, stuff was more secure in the bed, and had better visibility when driving. The only issue I had was I couldn’t fit coolers under the Diamondback. After I sold my Tacoma I’ve been driving with a bare bed and really like it. Those RSI Smart Caps are intriguing though. Still trying to make my mind up for my Tundra.

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
From my perspective, it mainly depends on how you use the truck bed. If you haul bigger, tall type items, you'd want something that gives open bed access. Same if you use a gooseneck/5th wheel hitch. If you just throw your stuff in and want a place to possibly sleep, then a topper is the answer. I have a Bakflip on mine. It folds to open the bed completely if needed. Can fold part way if desired. It's rated to hold either 300 or 400 pounds on top.

I’m always hauling something in the back, and regularly have bigger items that would have to be lashed on the top of a tonneau, I rarely use a gooseneck anymore as I’ve tried to switch to nearly all bumper pulls so I can use a decked system. Sleeping in the bed would be a huge benefit for hunting and recreational when I’m traveling without our airstream.

I guess the only reason I’d go with a ton way would be to save a few bucks and for a lower profile look.

Randle

WKR
I have done both ways and a full canopy with a 4 " higher than cab height is where I am now .
The extra head room sure is nice
Make sure if its fiberglass ot has plywood molded in for extra strength for a roof rack

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
I have done both ways and a full canopy with a 4 " higher than cab height is where I am now .
The extra head room sure is nice
Make sure if its fiberglass ot has plywood molded in for extra strength for a roof rack
Absolutely a must. If I go with a shell it’ll have a rack regardless