Hart or Alamo Precision

Easy then:

McMillian Hunter stock
Defiance Tenacity
Bartlein #3 or similar
Trigger Tech primary
Hawkins Obendorf BDL bottom metal
Thank you so much i just priced everything out and with Dana's labor cost this is right in my wheel house price wise

Ahh, ok.

Make that barrel 22” and 1–8 twist. Flute it if you please.

With that recipe you should end up with a quite handy finished rifle near 7.25# give or take, which is perfect for an all arounder.

Last edited:
hey stan.850 for labor is 300 to 400 cheaper than all the ones mentioned.not many know of dana,but he knows his way around rifles.so are you supplying components.is dana going to assist you with this.i would try and gey a defiane tenacity action.if 6.5 creedmoor.most shoot a 1-8 twist ,if you want to shoot lighter bullets you might consider a 1-9.personaaly i would go 1-8.as far as barrels gothe top manufacturers are all good to go.if your stuck on barlein no larger than a 2 b.google bugholes barrels.check all of them out.i have used 6 brands over the last many years.as long as the lot of steel used was good and just as important your gunsmith knows his stuff,you wont be able to shoot the difference.bartlein,krieger,brux,hawk hill,mullerworks,rock creek along with benchmark are all good.cut rifle barrels seem to last a little longer.discuss trigger options with dana or others.a hunting rifle does not need a tt diamond or bix&andy.your stock choice will work well on your budget.remember to ask him any ? you might have and his opinion on the components.i will check back in to see what your doing.please keep us updated.sorry for some miss spelling,keyboard is shot.

also,stan you need to look at the remington stock options.i believe the medalist is specific to tikka.

stan.greg at bugholes has the tencity short action in stock with the standard 308 bolt face which is what you want.bolt face is .473.also has a bartlein 2b in stock with 1-8 twist.with your budget i dont know if your fluting or not.greg does different patterns.could do it before shipping if you wanted to take some weight off that 2b contour.he also has a brux 3 contour whick is a 1/2 pound lighter.not sure if you could cut the brux to 22".if you dont mind a little longer barrel you could go that route.just make sure whichever way you go the balance is good.scope choice comes into play somewhat.you coulg go with a timney or trigger tech primary or special.depends on what pull weight you want.since its target and hunting 1 1/2 to 2lbs would be decent.

stan.greg at bugholes has the tencity short action in stock with the standard 308 bolt face which is what you want.bolt face is .473.also has a bartlein 2b in stock with 1-8 twist.with your budget i dont know if your fluting or not.greg does different patterns.could do it before shipping if you wanted to take some weight off that 2b contour.he also has a brux 3 contour whick is a 1/2 pound lighter.not sure if you could cut the brux to 22".if you dont mind a little longer barrel you could go that route.just make sure whichever way you go the balance is good.scope choice comes into play somewhat.you coulg go with a timney or trigger tech primary or special.depends on what pull weight you want.since its target and hunting 1 1/2 to 2lbs would be decent.
Thanks for all the advice. I will be buying the components piece by piece then finally sending them off. If it wasn't for this cruise i'm getting ready to pay i would have this done sooner. But I will be calling dana today to discuss again

Literally just got off the phone with Dana. Super nice guy and will be using him for the build. He prefers the stock to come already inletted. And all of my other components will work for what I want. Spoke to him for about 30 minutes and he was super helpful with his recommendations didn't push anything I don't need. And my build is super simple according so turn around time will be quick. Below is my parts lists.

Defiance Tenacity
McMillian Hunter
Trigger Tech Primary
Hart Barrel #3 Contour

Literally just got off the phone with Dana. Super nice guy and will be using him for the build. He prefers the stock to come already inletted. And all of my other components will work for what I want. Spoke to him for about 30 minutes and he was super helpful with his recommendations didn't push anything I don't need. And my build is super simple according so turn around time will be quick. Below is my parts lists.

Defiance Tenacity
McMillian Hunter
Trigger Tech Primary
Hart Barrel #3 Contour
You're gonna like that build a lot! Everything there is top quality.

Personally I'd go with a Hart #4, as I like a bit heavier barrel and then gain back some weight with fluting, but that's just me. I find heavier barrels a bit easier to shoot, especially at distance, and less picky with ammo preferences. Also realize that contour numbers are not the same across manufacturers. For example, a Bartlein #3 is a good bit heavier than a Hart #3. A Bart #3 would compare more closely to a Hart #4. All that said, this is all just MY personal preference. You'll do just fine with your choice, especially if you want to save yourself some weight.

You're gonna like that build a lot! Everything there is top quality.

Personally I'd go with a Hart #4, as I like a bit heavier barrel and then gain back some weight with fluting, but that's just me. I find heavier barrels a bit easier to shoot, especially at distance, and less picky with ammo preferences. Also realize that contour numbers are not the same across manufacturers. For example, a Bartlein #3 is a good bit heavier than a Hart #3. A Bart #3 would compare more closely to a Hart #4. All that said, this is all just MY personal preference. You'll do just fine with your choice, especially if you want to save yourself some weight.
Thank you. Dana said a 3 or 4 would work for the Hart barrel just comes down to preference just gotta find a tenacity without the rail then slowly get my parts together.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hey stan.850 for labor is 300 to 400 cheaper than all the ones mentioned.not many know of dana,but he knows his way around rifles.so are you supplying components.is dana going to assist you with this.i would try and gey a defiane tenacity action.if 6.5 creedmoor.most shoot a 1-8 twist ,if you want to shoot lighter bullets you might consider a 1-9.personaaly i would go 1-8.as far as barrels gothe top manufacturers are all good to go.if your stuck on barlein no larger than a 2 b.google bugholes barrels.check all of them out.i have used 6 brands over the last many years.as long as the lot of steel used was good and just as important your gunsmith knows his stuff,you wont be able to shoot the difference.bartlein,krieger,brux,hawk hill,mullerworks,rock creek along with benchmark are all good.cut rifle barrels seem to last a little longer.discuss trigger options with dana or others.a hunting rifle does not need a tt diamond or bix&andy.your stock choice will work well on your budget.remember to ask him any ? you might have and his opinion on the components.i will check back in to see what your doing.please keep us updated.sorry for some miss spelling,keyboard is shot.
I'm going to supply the parts and Dana pointed to several different dealers to source from.

I'm going to supply the parts and Dana pointed to several different dealers to source from.
I also deferred to him on components but the list I gave him he said was great I'll be able to knock out the the trigger, bottom metal, and barrel easily the action and stock will take time

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

When ordering my barrel should I select the exact length I need or should I order 1 or 2 inches above the finished barrel length?

Order slightly longer, manufacturers usually give you the length raw and length finished. You want enough to cut and crown or thread as desired.

Example:

05CD0DA5-4302-4F4A-ACD2-F3B453996233.jpeg

Last edited:
Depends on how you order it. Order it finished to a certain length and that’s what you’ll get. Check with your smith. Who’s doing the crowning?

If you want to save weight, talk to your gunsmith to find out the minimum shank/cylinder length he recommends for your particular cartridge and factor that in when ordering your barrel length. Also, make sure to specify the shank/cylinder length when ordering your stock.

Back