Haul Road footware?

shmcleod

FNG
Title says it all. Wondering what people recommend? Planning on an archery hunt off the road, so not doing the 5-mile trek

10" kenetrek hunting boots or neoprene muck boots? (don't own Xtra tuffs yet LOL)

as.ks.ak

WKR
Depends where. Hippers to mountaineering boots. If you’re gonna be by a vehicle which you will. Bring options.

And for the love of God if you see someone doing a stalk, don’t stop close enough to them that you’ll spook the animal that hunter is stalking.

I would bring two pairs and alternate. I liked having mountain boots with gaiters for the support. I never wished I had rubber boots.

BowMan86

FNG
Mountain boots and gaiters will get you through most of it. I have run through some sections where standing water up your calf is everywhere and rubber boots have done well in those situations. Last time I did the 5 mile hike, I wore rubber boots and my two buddies wore kenetreks and gaiters. I was the only one with dry feet by the time we got to camp. It can be really wet out there and if you can stand to hike any distance in rubber boots, it is the best way to stay dry. High risk of blisters though if you don’t have a good boot with the right fit. Other option would be to bring two pair of mountain/hiking boots and swap them out each day, drying the spare pair.

yfarm

WKR
Chota knee highs with Simms guide boots
or if its really wet the tundra hippies

zippe444

FNG
I ran crispi boots and gaitors stayed halfway dry swapping socks. Brought wiggys slip on waders for creek crossings to keep from filling boots worked for me

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kenetreks or stiff boots work, but muck boots worked better for me.

I wore Kenetreks on Kodiak in the tundra for 9 days. My feet were wet and I felt grateful for the support because it is so uneven. But, later I came to believe it was the boot itself that created the need for support when stepping on the uneven ground and the sole didn't move. I am from AZ where the ground is so rocky you need the stiff sole otherwise the bottom of the foot gets beat up from walking on the rocks. So, I was used to wearing the boots.

After that trip, I went on a goose hunt in Arkansas and got basic muck boots from Cabelas. I liked them a lot more than I thought.

My next trip to AK I wore ghe muck boots for 8 days and never put on my Kenetreks. My feet stayed dry and I didn't need the support because my feet/ankles moved with the terrain. I was really worried because I sprained my ankle just two months before our hunt and walking through the airport in a hurry hauling luggage and my rifle I could still feel the sprain in my ankle.

There were a couple days that I went on a walkabout for 3-4 miles because we weren't seeing any caribou at all. I was much more comfortable wearing muck boots and it was less effort. I wore a thin sock and a medium weight sock.

I will never wear Kenetrek/Crispi in Alaska tundra again. There was less stress over all on my legs and body because it didn't have to compensate for the stress that using stiff soled boots put on my knees, and core.

Use at least one trekking pole.

bmrfish

WKR
I don’t know how it is physically possible but even the hill slopes are swamp. I liked my meindls with sealskins socks and gaiters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK_Chuck

FNG
I second the recommendation for tundra hippies. If you’ve never walked on tundra before those tussucks can be a real pain and I prefer more ankle support than muck boots and their equivalent provide.

Wading boots, tundra hippies, and gaiters over the hippies has been an ideal combo for me, but I was also going in farther off the road.

CMF

WKR
Following. Plan to do this hunt this year or next.
I'm not sure what I'll be bringing for footwear, but if you do muck neoprene make sure to put some miles on them before hand. I just did 4 miles turkey hunting in mine the other day after not wearing for a while and I wish I had my hiking boots.

TShunts

FNG
I second the, “if you’re driving bring options” used my normal hunting boots kenetrek with gaiters, to mucks, to wiggys waders for water crossing. It all depended on the specific location. Oh I can’t forget the crocs!