Have any of you incorporated your harvests into your cultures traditional meals and dishes?

Loo.wii

WKR
I am going on a bear hunt very shortly and I’ve been considering a few ways to prepare my harvest if I am so lucky. One of the possibilities I’m considering is a dish called griot. Traditional it’s prepared with pork, turkey neck, or goat. With bear having similar qualities to pork, i figured this would be a good idea.

Has anyone else crossed over their cultural dishes with wild fare?

I’m thinking elk tongue next!

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
That does look really really good though!! Nicely done! I have been trying to figure out how I want to prepare an elk tounge as well

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely but we tend to just call everything by the cut of meat whether its store bought beef or wild venison, sheep, goat etc. And then use that cut of meat the same way across the board. This also helps those in my family who won't touch the dish if you tell them what's it's made of.

We will make Venison Lau Lau, Venison/Wild Pig Adobo, stews, pastrami etc.for large pieces of meat. Then the meat turned to hamburger is used in all the typical hamburger fashions. We have done venison back strap sashimi and venison kilawin before that was awesome.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
Absolutely but we tend to just call everything by the cut of meat whether its store bought beef or wild venison, sheep, goat etc. And then use that cut of meat the same way across the board. This also helps those in my family who won't touch the dish if you tell them what's it's made of.

We will make Venison Lau Lau, Venison/Wild Pig Adobo, stews, pastrami etc.for large pieces of meat. Then the meat turned to hamburger is used in all the typical hamburger fashions. We have done venison back strap sashimi and venison kilawin before that was awesome.
I want pictures

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I really like squirrel gumbo. Bear sausage and gravy too.

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
That looks amazing
Have any in your family made a fuss about deviating from the “proper” meat ?
Only if they know or ask what's in it. otherwise they can't tell. I know some in my family will pre determine if they like a dish if there is game meat in it regardless how it actually taste.

Elk flank + (pick game sausage of your liking) = rouladen. I come from a German heritage and that is one of my favorite dishes to prepare.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I love to cook, I experiment a lot but really, my favorite preparations with wild game are usually very simple. We do tacos with heart and tongue, my kids love that. I do a lot of simple wood fire grilling. Just salt, pepper and olive oil, and as soon as it comes off the grill let it rest with paper thin slices of garlic or shallot, and fresh herbs.
I make a neck roast with red wine that is one of my families favorites as well.
Spanish rabbit stew is one of our favorites, as well as wild game paella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I had my friend’s wife who is Korean show me how to make venison bulgogi. Really delicious. I also make venison empanadas, turkey enchilada, and some other wild game dishes.