Have you been on a great hunt?

bowuntr

WKR
In case you missed my

In case you missed my thread…
I have done 4 fly in DIY moose hunts and 15 fly in Alaska DIY hunts total... IMO you can't do a fly in DIY Alaskan moose hunt in 2024, door to door, for 6k... not even close. Most reputable drop camp outfits are now at 10k+... I know, I'm booked for 2025. Increases in the last few years is insane. You could do some of the logistics yourself like diamond 10x suggested... but good moose spots are more sacred than gold claims. Good luck to you if you can do a fly in moose hunt for 6k next year. Ed F

cnelk

WKR
I have done 4 fly in DIY moose hunts and 15 fly in Alaska DIY hunts total... IMO you can't do a fly in DIY Alaskan moose hunt in 2024, door to door, for 6k... not even close. Most reputable drop camp outfits are now at 10k+... I know, I'm booked for 2025. Increases in the last few years is insane. You could do some of the logistics yourself like diamond 10x suggested... but good moose spots are more sacred than gold claims. Good luck to you if you can do a fly in moose hunt for 6k next year. Ed F

You spend your money.
I’ll spend mine

Mojave

WKR
If you are retired you can drive to Alaska in about a week. from most of the lower 48. The farther you are from Great Falls, Montana the farther and harder that gets.

These times depend on road construction. There will be plenty!
Great falls to Grand Prairie 12 hour day
Grand Prairie to Muncho lake 9-10 hour day
Muncho to Whitehorse 7-9 hours
Whitehorse to Tok 7-9 hours
Tok to Anchorage is 6 hours without road construction and plenty of ice heaves to destroy your trailer.
or Tok to Fairbanks 3-5 hours same as above

There are transporters in Tok, Glennallen, Anchorage, Fairbanks and lots of other places a long the way.

If you are wanting to hunt 26A or near Nome, you can add quite a bit of cost to that trip. As you have to get everything back to your car in Anchorage.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
You spend your money.
I’ll spend mine
When you have an inside connection to the transporter, it is disingenuous for you to be touting that a sub $6k fly in moose hunt is possible for the general person trying to do it. The transport to and from the field alone for the general public client with the same operator you use is more than $6k.

AKDoc

WKR
When you have an inside connection to the transporter, it is disingenuous for you to be touting that a sub $6k fly in moose hunt is possible for the general person trying to do it. The transport to and from the field alone for the general public client with the same operator you use is more than $6k.
^^^I totally agree with you^^^

I'll simply add (IMHO) that what we each choose to spend of our hard-earned money for our wonderful outdoor/hunting adventures is a number best kept private between ourselves and our transporter...certainly not openly shared on a public internet forum. Just my perspective...respectfully said.

cnelk

WKR

Ya know, I was just replying to the OP's inquiry. And I did it honestly.
When I researched pilots for the 1st moose hunt, I had no idea that the pilot knew a family relative that was also a local. But you get that stuff in a small community.

Im sure the pilot charged me the rate as he does anyone else. If I did get a discount I bet it wasnt much. The only difference was is he just doesnt take anyone. If fact, that last time I talked to him, he was thinking about not flying moose hunters anymore.

Also, whats your beef with me? Diamond10X also wrote on this this thread it can be done for less than $6k. More than once too.

There's ways to shave costs on an AK moose hunt.
It takes lots of logistics, planning and forethought.

bowuntr

WKR
Fred Bear did it too for under 6k... not in 2024. OP was inquiring for a future hunt, with a vague question. Anyone with inside info and connections is not going to spill them on the internet... but to tout that an Alaskan fly in moose hunt can still be done for around 6k is misleading. The increase is for real... and I'm not happy about it. The OP has disappeared... so now, this is nothing more than a pissing match. Ed F

Last edited:
Ya know, I was just replying to the OP's inquiry. And I did it honestly.
When I researched pilots for the 1st moose hunt, I had no idea that the pilot knew a family relative that was also a local. But you get that stuff in a small community.

Im sure the pilot charged me the rate as he does anyone else. If I did get a discount I bet it wasnt much. The only difference was is he just doesnt take anyone. If fact, that last time I talked to him, he was thinking about not flying moose hunters anymore.

Also, whats your beef with me? Diamond10X also wrote on this this thread it can be done for less than $6k. More than once too.

There's ways to shave costs on an AK moose hunt.
It takes lots of logistics, planning and forethought.
I've had plenty of people tell me I'm lying when I tell them I don't pay $6k+ to moose hunt.

What they don't understand is if you spend the time to research your own place to hunt it can easily be done for less than $6k. Part of the reason these transporters drop camps cost so much now is because guys are lining up to hunt the transporters spots because they're too lazy to research and find their own hunting area.

Careful now, the Internet is a wild place with a whole lot of info on it for people that know how to find the resources. It took about 3 minutes to narrow down the relatively small hunt area. Could probably figure out the pilot in a hurry and if a person was really dedicated, find the lake with a simple google earth grid. I have zero intention of any of that, but just pointing out no matter how vague the hunt report, YouTube vid, whatever; it’s still a mountain of information into the digital forever! I wouldn’t boast spots and prices too much!

There would be no murders left unsolved if they all took place at hunting spots 😂
IMG_7580.jpeg

cnelk

WKR
Careful now, the Internet is a wild place with a whole lot of info on it for people that know how to find the resources. It took about 3 minutes to narrow down the relatively small hunt area. Could probably figure out the pilot in a hurry and if a person was really dedicated, find the lake with a simple google earth grid. I have zero intention of any of that, but just pointing out no matter how vague the hunt report, YouTube vid, whatever; it’s still a mountain of information into the digital forever! I wouldn’t boast spots and prices too much!

There would be no murders left unsolved if they all took place at hunting spots 😂
View attachment 640755

I say go for it.
A person will maybe draw the tag, maybe research the logistics, and maybe the pilot says he’ll fly you.

Maybe you’ll even see a legal moose. Maybe not.

Lotsa maybes.

Good luck 👍

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Some people spend $2.5K+ for the latest, greatest compound, others cut a tree down and several years later whittle some bows from it. In the right hands, both will kill any critter you want. Some people can do their AK moose hunt for $6K, others will spend more than twice that for a comparable hunt. Both hunts can be great, or piss poor, most often that is determined by the attitude of the hunter as much as it is by the game encountered.

Like most things in life, if you believe you can do it, and most important, have the will and fortitude, you can make it happen. If do not believe it can be done, you are correct, it will never happen…..for you.