Headlamp - What is the Best?

Higbean

FNG
Anyone have any complaints about the glow in the dark bezel on the Zebras? I don't really want that when hunting, but otherwise it would be fine.

colonel00

WKR
I just ordered my light yesterday but I find the glow in the dark thing very interesting. It should make it much easier to locate in a dark tent or even in a pack in the dark assuming that it has enough "charge" to glow after being put away for a while. Not too concerned with having it while hunting as it will will only be out and possibly glowing when it dark enough to need the light which will obviously be brighter than the glow. I guess I could see it being an issue if you were putting on a pre-dawn stalk and wanted to be able to cut off your light when you were getting close without having to worry about taking it off and putting it away and all.

slim9300

WKR
As long as your not hunting at night it should be fine :)

Exactly. You can't see it until you turn off the light, at that point you should take off your headlamp. Even then it's not bright enough to spook anything (other that yourself the first time you see that 'eye' looking at you). :)

If all else fails and you are still worried about it, just rotate your light 180 degrees with a quick turn (the 'bracket' allows for the rotation) and the problem is solved.

Nordic

FNG
I've heard a lot of good things about Zebra, but I don't own one.
I have a similar head lamp that Zebra makes. It's a Ultrafire UF-H6 and it uses one 18650 battery.
It's very durable and it's cheaper than Zebra lights (cost was $38 I think). Since I have a lot of other flashlights that use 18650 batteries this one was fine for me.
I forgot it in the forest this spring for a week and it was snowing/raining with below freezing during nights and above freezing in daytime all week. When I retrieved it, it was working as usual. It has more of a narrow "throw" beam than wide "flood". I think the 100% is 700 lumens or so, but I use it mostly on 30%.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLWDsTE0XLo

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Posted this a few posts up. Basically shows a comparison between the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol47QOyDynM

Good demonstration of the two lights. I'm gonna give one of these a whirl for my earlier season stuff where its light for nearly 19-20 hours a day. Seeing in the video that even on spot it only shines out to 30-40 yards means I'll probably still bring my Mammut for October Mountain Goats on Kodiak as they really shine an honest 100 yards which helps for route selecting to get off the mountain or someplace to camp in the dark. But for early season stuff it could save me about 4 oz or so.

Looks like a great little headlamp if used within its limitations. Look forward to putting it to work.

worx53

WKR
Slim,

Can you explain the difference in a h51 vs. a h51w ? Is the 51w brighter and spot further even though the lumen output is lower than the h51?

slim9300

WKR
Slim,

Can you explain the difference in a h51 vs. a h51w ? Is the 51w brighter and spot further even though the lumen output is lower than the h51?

The 'softer' color allows you to see most colors better at night (especially greens). Thus, for me this equates to less shadows and better sight. For working indoors the W would be pointless but for hunters the W models are ideal.

muleman

WKR
Slim,

I will defer to Slim for actual user experience, but interject what I know. I'm a new dealer with ZebraLight and have had numerous recent conversations with them about quality of light output by the the "w" models. As described by ZebraLight the w models provide a more natural light that renders colors better and provides more 3D look. As far as brightness the H51 is brighter by 30 lumens. ZebraLight states that the difference would be hard to tell. I am bringing in both the H51 and H51w models in to do a comparison.

muleman

WKR
How much does something like the H51 weigh? The weight I saw was 1.5 ounces if that's right I'm assuming that's w/o the headband and batteries.[/QUOTE
  • 1.2 oz (35.8 gram)
  • 2.2 oz (61.9 gram) with an Eneloop AA
  • 3.0 oz (84.9 gram) with an Eneloop AA and headband

slim9300

WKR
How much does something like the H51 weigh? The weight I saw was 1.5 ounces if that's right I'm assuming that's w/o the headband and batteries.

My H502w weighs 2.38 ounces with a lithium battery and headband. The H51 should be about identical. The Sanyo Eneloop batteries (rechargeable) are heavier as the posted stats above point out.