Headlamps...

colonel00

WKR
I carry two headlamps. Mostly for redundancy in case one fails. However, I have found, admittedly in fairly limited usage, that I like the Zebralight for great illumination but I miss having colored LEDs for around camp. This is especially true if I am with other people and I don't want to blind them all the time. So, I am currently carrying a Princeton Tec Remix as my "camp" headlamp and the Zebralight is in my kill kit for when a lot of light is needed.

dotman

WKR
do the zebralights not have a flood and spot beam?

Yes some have both, in the specs you will see the degrees of beam for flood and spot. So for example it will list 85* flood and 13* spot. With the 600 series you will see out 40-50 yards with the flood and then see a spot that goes about 100+ yards IF the specs show both.

Rizzy

WKR
I was under the impression guys carry 2 headlamps for different purposes rather than for backup. I carry 2 small LED's for back up and I've done a complete hike out with one once when there was no moonlight.

tttoadman

WKR
I have a small single LED as my backup. I have never had an LED light fail in years of use. Not like the old bulb days. Not worth it to me to carry two headlamps, and i sure don't need one that will land airplanes. I very seldom ever have mine on high even when hiking at night. I find the softer light helps me from getting sore eyes.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a small single LED as my backup. I have never had an LED light fail in years of use. Not like the old bulb days. Not worth it to me to carry two headlamps, and i sure don't need one that will land airplanes. I very seldom ever have mine on high even when hiking at night. I find the softer light helps me from getting sore eyes.

Yeah well out here in Colorado we always have sore bloodshot eyes..... :rolleyes:

tttoadman

WKR
Originally Posted by tttoadman

SHTF said:
Yeah well out here in Colorado we always have sore bloodshot eyes..... :rolleyes:

30 miles north and i am good to go.

Clackamas County Oregon is known for 2 things. Mary Jane and Xmas trees. Xmas trees aren't selling nearly as well.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been cliffed out multiple times when packing out goats and sheep in the dark, so I always pack a headlamp with a high beam (190+ lumen).

Jdog

WKR
I carry two headlamps. Mostly for redundancy in case one fails. However, I have found, admittedly in fairly limited usage, that I like the Zebralight for great illumination but I miss having colored LEDs for around camp. This is especially true if I am with other people and I don't want to blind them all the time. So, I am currently carrying a Princeton Tec Remix as my "camp" headlamp and the Zebralight is in my kill kit for when a lot of light is needed.

I have the exact same two. I use the Remix for most and the Zebra as a backup or no chit I need 200 lumens to light up the night and get a suntan!

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Petzl Myo RXP is what i carry. I always have two headlamps no matter what. The weight is minimal and if needed its priceless to have two.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I don't usually carry a headlamp at all from mid-May to mid-August up here. After that I have been using the Mammut coal miner ;) and going back to it after using that little Zebra light 51...I'm sure the 600 is great and lots lighter, but I'll get by with the coal miner for now.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
n2 I actually scored the H502 great recommendation =-) Looking for Fenix PD35 now for a spotter. =-)

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
PD35 is enroute from REI now. Paid 21 bucks for it cause of my REI Dividin. Cant wait to play with this badboy.