heavy hauling daypack suggestions?

Thinking of switching from a MR crewcab. Our group had 3 elk down and deep opening day last year... I had lots of time to think about load lifters and hip belts.

Anybody running a modified cargo panel like an EE bag on the back as a daypack heavy meat hauler?

For 100lbs+ packs, how does the cargo panel haul vs a grab it between the duplex frame and a DT3 bag vs meat inside a DT1 bag...

Any other suggestions? Thanks...

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I had lots of time to think about load lifters and hip belts.
No suggestions but this made me laugh thinking how I'd be bitching the whole time and trying to figure out something different cause "we aren't doing this shit again"

My group shot 3 elk on the same day the last year that cows were open. That day also had me searching for better pack options! The alaskan frame was okay but man that squeak had to go!

To your original question... A DT3 bag with a grab it or cargo panel would be what you are looking for. you can certainly go lighter with just a few pockets added to a cargo panel but I think you will like the DT3 especially if you used the crew cab.

Kifaru Late Season is a heck of a day pack! Works awesome and carries heavy load of meat nicely.
You can also go a bigger kifaru pack but cinch it down small.

I 2nd what Justin said about just using a bigger pack. I use my Timberline 2 as a dayback. It cinches down small, doesn't weigh much more than most daypacks, and hauls meat well.

No suggestions but this made me laugh thinking how I'd be bitching the whole time and trying to figure out something different cause "we aren't doing this shit again"

HAHA, perfect sentiment. I was thinking the same thing....

I would go with the DT frame and whatever you think would work best for your everyday hunting strapped to it. To be honest... I think that most of us spend way to much time trying to figure what will haul 125+ pounds the best when 99% (or more) of the miles you put on that bag will have much less weight. The cargo panel, grab it with a bunch or lash straps, the DT1, the hanging meat bag are all great options. I feel like if they are loaded correctly they are all about 6's as far as hauling weight.

We all do it on this forum, and its great to think of the "what ifs" and be prepared for the big heavy haul. But the facts are facts.... sacrificing 99% of the time just so you are prepared for that 1 long haul is overkill in my opinion. For example, I have the DT1, it absolutely packs down tiny for "day mode" but you have 30 long straps hanging all over the place and you have to wade shoulder deep through the bag to get to anything in most of the pockets. Yes, it would be great to have when you do get lucky, but a smaller bag and a CP will work well for the first trip then lose the bag and strap it to the frame for the rest.

Joe

OP
S

While I am suffering, I often think of all the exotic beaches I could have instead gone on my vacation for a lot less money than I paid to endure my current misery... but on the drive home, after we replenish with our first coffee and greaseburger, we talk about how fun it was and excitedly start planning rest of the way home how we are going to do it even bigger next year.

Thinking of switching from a MR crewcab. Our group had 3 elk down and deep opening day last year... I had lots of time to think about load lifters and hip belts.

Anybody running a modified cargo panel like an EE bag on the back as a daypack heavy meat hauler?

For 100lbs+ packs, how does the cargo panel haul vs a grab it between the duplex frame and a DT3 bag vs meat inside a DT1 bag...

Any other suggestions? Thanks...

Hill People gear packs are designed as little day packs that work as a panel on the kifaru frames I believe. Have you looked at that?

I am hoping my new icon 1850 is exactly what your describing... a heavy hauling day pack. But haven't had enough experience to say its the answer for sure.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Justin Nailed it. I have a Timberline 2 and it cinches down to nothing almost. Love that Pack.

rodney482

WKR
Timberline 1

All the pack I will ever need!

Will haul more weight than most can handle!

keep

Lil-Rokslider
While I am suffering, I often think of all the exotic beaches I could have instead gone on my vacation for a lot less money than I paid to endure my current misery... but on the drive home, after we replenish with our first coffee and greaseburger, we talk about how fun it was and excitedly start planning rest of the way home how we are going to do it even bigger next year.
It sounds like the way women describe child birth. It Hurts!!! Then shortly afterwards "it was such a great wonderful moment I hardly remember the pain, let's have another". Guess it's like hauling out elk on your back, sucks doing it but the pain is quickly forgotten then everyone is ready to get back after them

Shrek

WKR
I had the bikini but it was not long enough so I got a custom 28" duplex that just came yesterday. I can tell you for sure that the bikini blows the duplex away for comfort imo. I would also advise a bigger bag and cinch it down. A DT2 or 1 or the high camps will give a lot of flexibility . Just as soon as you say all I need it for is a day pack that will haul you will want to camp on the mountain for 5 days. A 4800 high camp and a long hunter lid and a couple of medium pouches for organization and you can cover just about everything. You give up almost nothing going with the bikini over the duplex and loose a lot of weight and gain comfort. I'm a kifaru coolaid drinker so all the other packs are just future regrets imo.

fuzzy

FNG
The LLP from Onearis is a game changer for me with my crew cab. For the sake of $70 it's worth a shot.

Fuzzy

Would someone comment on the size difference (thickness) of the lumbar pads between the duplex suspension and the LSL?

The duplex lumbar is much thicker than a LS pad. Several have put a LS pad in their duplex frame as the large pad was uncomfortable. I did the same which did help but was still not perfect. Come to find out the pressure was not really from the large pad but how the stay sat on my back. I now use "flat back" carbon stays with thick pad and it carries like a dream.

littlebuf

Banned
T1 . most versatile pack ive very owned and lighter than smaller badlands and the like day packs. you couldn't ask for a bigger payload capability in a "day" pack

I think I'm an oddball....it frlt good on the lumbar but the top of the stays stabbed me in the shldr blades. I'm just wondering if it was due to the pad size creating an angle at the top once the straps were snugged. I had flat back stays.

stephen b

WKR
TJ

I would talk to Aron- he will get it figured out for you.

One thing that comes to mind is that if you have only tried the composite stays so far and they are not working for you, you may need to try and use the aluminum stays to be able to bend them and dial them in to your spine and its curve.

That is how the normal composites were for my back with my duplex. Even though I have a "normal" back curve; where the curve was on the normal composites did not quite match up with where my curve was on my back ( in the mid back). When I put in alum stays and bent them for my back- it made a world of difference. You can even get 1" stock aluminum from a ace hardware and cut to size and then mold them to find out if that will solve it for you. Then you can order alum stays from Kifaru.

Just a thought