Heavy outer layer or lighter weight shell with puffer underneath?

Darwin

FNG
New to hunting and starting to put some gear together. I think I'll mostly be hunting in milder weather (30 degrees and up) , but for times it gets colder and I'll be sitting in a stand, is it better to have a heavier coat (e.g. a Kryptek Vellus or Njord) or go with something like a Dalibor II softshell and have a packable puffer I can put on underneath if I get cold? I use the Kryptek lines because I'm finding some really good sales on their stuff right now.

I was trying to decide between the Vellus and Njord jackets and some reviews started to make me question weather going with the heavy weight outer layer was the best idea. In some reviews of the heavier weight gear people were saying they start to sweat wearing the heavier coat on the walk in (I assume that's even if it's unzipped and has pit vents). So from a layering perspective would it be better to go with a lighter weight outer jacket that is still windproof and water resistant DWR and then throw on a heavier/warmer layer underneath later when I settle in? Also seems like the softshell material would snag less and attract less burrs, etc. as you walk in. Other than fewer layers, is there an advantage to using the heavier weight out layer?

Mojave

WKR
I have windstopper shell, a goretex shell and a soft shell and a synthetic puffy and a down puffy and a mountain of variety of fleece.

I don't have a solid answer for you as it really depends on how much weather and the temp.

I also regularly wear a wool sweater under other things on top of my capilene or wool undershirt.

I do not own anything from Kryptek, so those lines I don't know.

Here is the lingo I use, maybe not the same as everyone else.

Hardshell to me is goretex or similar kind of wind resistant mostly water resistant

Rubberized shell like Grundens, 100% waterproof, very cold!

Soft shell to me is a non-windstopper soft shell jacket

Windstopper soft shell, very windresistant.

Synthetic puffy not very warm, maybe wind resistant

Down puffy very warm, mostly wind resistant.

It depends on a lot of factors, and I don't have a 100% answer.

I am also slightly overweight have good circulation and I don't really get that cold.

OP
D

Darwin

FNG
Thanks Mojave. Kryptek lists the Dalibor under their "late season" category, but I hate the Kryptek site. They do a terrible job differentiating their products or even giving you a real idea of (use in this type of temps). It does have some lining to it, but it's definitely not heavy weight. It is not 100% windproof but "wind resistant" so it's definitely not a hardshell. I'd say it's more of a lined "Windstopper soft shell, very windresistant" to use your categorization (with a DWR coating to make it water resistant).

I also am carrying some extra weight (in a wetsuit I look like a decent sized seal - the marine mammal, not Navy - rather than a walrus) and tend to run warm. I also tend to get hot quickly when moving.

Appreciate the thoughts on the puffer, I hadn't really considered the synthetic vs down differences.

I use the Dalibor with a fleece or Vellus vest under for the majority of my Whitetail archery hunts. Once Halloween rolls around, the Vellus jacket comes out.
2nd season rifle elk will have me in the Dalibor with puffy in the pack.
I tend to run on the cold side of things.

manitou1

WKR
Living and hunting "out West" here, the puffy with a wind/rain blocking outer sheel is the ticket for me and the guys I hunt with.

The combo gives a good, lightweight balance, is easily packable and most importantly it is functional.

OP
D

Darwin

FNG
Living and hunting "out West" here, the puffy with a wind/rain blocking outer sheel is the ticket for me and the guys I hunt with.

The combo gives a good, lightweight balance, is easily packable and most importantly it is functional.
Manitou1, what temps are you usually using that setup?

manitou1

WKR
I carry this setup during my entire hunt season... Sep thru Dec.
I have been bowhunting in 70 deg temps, leaving the sxs in the a.m. and gained altitude and had whiteout snow conditions by evening.

Generally, the puffy and outer shell stay in my pack until I stop to glass or have slowed to a level still hunt. It is easy to overheated in steep terrain at elevation, which can be a detriment if you get soaked from the inside out and vapor can't escape.

The small weight penalty is a no-brainer tradeoff for environmental protection.

With good base layers, a decent mid layer, the puffy and outer shell I am covered from 70 deg to 0 deg pretty much. In real cold temps I toss puffy pants into the pack... but have only used them a couple times because I am never lucky enough to draw late season big game tags, lol.🤣

yfarm

WKR
Synthetic slick surface base then 100 wt fleece with FL Corrugate shell or USGi level 4 shell for moderate to high activity. Add 850 fill down EB puffy under the shell when I stop. For prolonged stand hunting I put a pr of oversized camo insulated full zip coveralls over the top of the above and can lay on a pad overlooking a transit point all day in the teens to single digits with wind.