Heavy wool.

Guys I have been mostly lurking here for the past couple years and find great info here.
I know merino is popular amongst a lot of folk here. I use a lot of sitkas gear for backpack hunts but love heavy wool in winter conditions. I use a Filson mackinaw coat and Filson mackinaw bib overalls for still hunting moose in snow. I know its heavy but for wet extended hunting it has its place. Anyone else here use heavy wool?

Sorta, got some Fred Asbedel pullovers, problem is they aren't windproof.

How windproof is the Filson McKinaw wool? I do have a vest by them but haven't worn it outside yet.

Got Cabelas Wooltimate, very warm and windproof. Not what I'd call high quality wool like Filson but still great stuff.

Had Columbia Gelatin but thought the wool/poly mix just not quite what is needed for my climate and not windproof.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

danarnold

WKR
I have King Of The Mountain pants heavy lined jacket and shirt, I don't use it often enough for what it costs but it is high quality and warm

bhylton

WKR
i wear a jacket made my stormy kromer that is very warm. has lots of pockets as well. best part is it has not been found by the hippies and hipster like Filson has so its half the price.

elkyinzer

WKR
Absolutely, have my classic red/black striped Woolrich shirtjac, it's my #1 go to this time of year. Also have a great heavy pendleton shirt my wife got me and a heavier yet columbia wool suit. For on the move, it can't be beat. Great temperature regulation, it keeps you warm but less prone to overheating than synthetics. For treestand hunting I've learned the hard way, though, you better have a windproof layer on the outside.

Mossy

WKR
I've been using strictly heavier wools the past 4 years paired with modern base layers. Pretty aggressive and steep hiking so the breathable material is nice. I buy "vintage"(made in the US) woolrich and pendelton tops off eBay. I use big bill bottoms because they are affordable for wool pants and are green.

I use a Dachstein heavy wool sweater in colder temperatures. It's warm, windproof, snow proof, and has a wide temperature range.

It's heavier than modern clothing, but very versatile.

OP
D
I got my Filson gear long before it became trendy. The wool is not windproop. Early in the fall I hunt the open tundra we call it barrens here in Newfoundland. Winter here now and for still hunting in the woods nothing holds up like the older Filson. Newfoundland is renown for its wind . I dont find the wind a problem in the woods. The "BARRENS" is another story

Yes !!
1. Ulfrotte wool base layers. Not sure why more guys on this forum and others are not familiar with it - Merino at its finest when it gets really cold. Woolpower US | Merino Wool Clothing and Apparel

2. I have Seeping Indian - Which is not in business anymore. The owner and founder of Sleeping Indian was the original designer and co owner of King Of the Mountain. KOM is top notch stuff.

3. I have my eye on Grey Wolf Woolens. I do not own their stuff but I know guys that do. They make great custom wool garments and if you buy them lined, you be warm at just about any temp.

For late season stand hunting I use Day One wool bibs and and pull over. I ordered them lined with insulation and windstop. It's like hunting in a warm sleeping bag so I usually carry to stand location and put on before climbing tree or getting in blind. Great stuff but temps have to dip below freezing to keep from sweating even with just a light base layer under them. After freezing my butt off one season in some ASAT Camo gear, I am glad to have them as an option.

danarnold

WKR
Yes !!
1. Ulfrotte wool base layers. Not sure why more guys on this forum and others are not familiar with it - Merino at its finest when it gets really cold. Woolpower US | Merino Wool Clothing and Apparel
""
I bought a 400 g? Woolpower shirt from them but I'm not real thrilled with it, it's nice but the material is very loose woven,it's super stretchy but doesn't snap back into place at all, doesn't layer well. It almost never leaves the house but I bought it to use in the field

Last edited:
OP
D
Yes Jeff Martin Ulfrotte is fantastic gear. Been using it for baselayers for a fairly long time. Its woven quite differently but I find it works.

boom

WKR
there is no way. i tend to move alot. and i sweat..heavy wool sends me into a sweating tailspin i cant seem to get out of. my stormy kromer hat is too much for me.

danarnold

WKR
when it is windy ,i always have a wind shell for my heavy wool.
aka, a barbour jacket over wool is the real for me.
not backpacking stuff though.