Hello from Colorado!

Hey everyone!

I've lurked this forum for quite a while, and want to say thank you for all of the useful information. I came to Colorado from Georgia four years ago to attend the Air Force Academy. I spent most of the time that I should have been studying dreaming of chasing Elk with my bow. Unfortunately, I was never able to make it happen during my time as a cadet. Luckily, I got the opportunity to stay here in Colorado until my report date for pilot training next April, and will be heading to GMU 71 to hunt the lizard head wilderness this thursday. I can not begin to describe how excited I am. I will be taking plenty of pictures, and will hopefully be posting a hunt story. Again, thanks for all the useful info! I am pumped to learn more firsthand here in a few days.

Shameless Plug: If anyone has hunted GMU 71 recently, I would love to ask a few specific questions via PM. Mostly regarding the actual terrain/vegetation vs what google earth shows. Unfortunately, I am going in without having put boots on the ground prior to my hunt. However, I think I have read every thread on the internet that mentions "71" and studied every line of my topo maps...haha.

rayporter

WKR
take a pic someday and post it for us. from the plane. i dont care if it is from a B52 or a warthog. post it.

thanks for your service-ray

JPC

FNG
Welcome Charlie!
I'm pretty new here on the forum and this will be my first year hunting, but if you are wondering about terrain... I might be able to help. I live within about 20 minutes of unit 71 (and also moved out here from Georgia - about 15 years ago). I have guided backpacking trips all through the Lizard Head Wilderness area (5 to 10 day trips), so I know the area well. I am brand spanking new to hunting though. If I can help, feel free to hit me up.

OP
C
Rayporter, I definitely will! As for what I will end up flying, it really depends on how you do in pilot training. Everyone starts in the T-6 Texan, which is a fast and agile prop plane. During the next phase, you rank the three possible routes by your preference: T-38s (Fighter/Attack/Bomber), T-1s (Transport/Aerial refueling/etc), and UH-1s (helo). At the end of pilot training, you get a list of the available planes and assignments in the Air Force for your track. You rank those as well, and they are assigned by going down the list of the best performers. So, in short, I have no clue what I will be flying haha... I originally really wanted to fly HH-60 pavehawks for combat rescue, but a few of my friends are in fighters now and are loving it. Who knows! I'll be happy with anything; all of the airframes have their positives and negatives.

JPC--I'll be sending you a PM. Thanks for the offer!

Good luck to all of you this hunting season!