Hello from the Show Me State!!

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
Hey gang. New here and going on my first ever elk hunt in southwest Colorado this year. I'm from south central Missouri. I started prepping in mid January. Lurking on here has given me HUGE insight on getting started. I thank you all!

Here's a little about me.

40 years old
Type AAA personality
Police Officer
Married with 3 killer kids
Traditional archery nut!
And I have an out of control Kryptek addiction (I'm too far gone. There's no help)

I'll be doing a solo backpack hunt in the San Juan region. I'm hunting with a recurve. A little about that: 56" tip/tip, 54# @ 28". It's an ILF set up (I made the riser myself which I'm quite proud of), Black Max Carbon Extreme limbs. I'll be shooting Axis 400 Traditional arrows with 200 gr Cutthroats up front, 4" parabolic feathers (pink), and green Nocturnal nocks on the back. Finished arrow weight is 556 gr. Slim Jim side mount quiver.

I've pretty much got all of my gear lined out. After a lot of research I decided to invest my $$ in Kifaru gear. Here's a brief overall of what I'm running.

Kifaru EMR II
Kifaru 20 deg Slick bag
Thermarest Neo Air Xlite pad
Tarptent Stratosphire 2 (highly modified)
Rokslide kill kit
Vortex Razor HD 10x42 binos
Lots of other miscellaneous stuff

I've been getting myself tuned up as well. Lots of cardio, interval sprints, lots of up hill/down hill runs. Most of my weight work revolves around my pack. I've worked my way up to 6 mile hikes with 55# of gear in my pack. I do push ups with it on, etc. Obviously there's not a whole lot I can do to prepare for the altitude. I do try to do all of my training just breathing in/out of my nose. Not sure if this will help but we'll see.

Thanks again for the never ending amount of information.

I'm happy to be here!

Carl

AdamW

WKR
Welcome man! I knew there was another Rolla area member, looks like live2hunt is in your neck of the woods. I'm in the Columbia area. Planning my first CO hunt for this fall as well. Looks like you've got some good quality gear for sure! Good luck this fall!

OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome man! I knew there was another Rolla area member, looks like live2hunt is in your neck of the woods. I'm in the Columbia area. Planning my first CO hunt for this fall as well. Looks like you've got some good quality gear for sure! Good luck this fall!

Thanks Adam!!