Help A Man Out

Long Cut

WKR
Let me mention before I merge bank accounts with the fiancé/wife in the next 8-9 months, I’m looking into making a last purchase or two “on my own”.

I really wanted to buy a rifle, but I figured she may notice a new rifle purchase. A new scope however, would fall by the wayside.

This scope will ultimately fall on a Tikka T3x chambered in 6.5 CM. Most of this guns life will reside in GA, killing deer and pigs from 10-400 yards. If I ever get enough time off of work, this setup will be used in the Dakotas, Wyoming, Mountains of Tennessee... You get the picture.

I need a good “do it all” scope in a budget range of $750-1,300. I’ve looked into Zeis, Nightforce, Leopoldo, Bushnell Elites, Vortex.. But researching online and first hand experience vary greatly, this is where y’all come into play.

What’s your “go to” scope.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
Big pool of scopes out there at that price range.
Help us out a little...what features are you most attracted to for this guns purpose
magnification range?
reticle?
dialing ? MOA? MRAD?
physical size/weight?
light gathering?

I try not to be fan-boy of any one specific product unless I know it is bomb proof. For rifle scopes I try to match my purpose to the best available product in my budget...though I have several brand names I avoid due to bad previous experiences.

SteveCNJ

WKR
I've had good luck with Leupolds. You can get a vx5hd 3-15x44 for around $1,000 depending on the reticle you choose. I'm going to venture out on a Weatherby MV Backcountry 280AI I just ordered and try a Zeiss Z5i 3.5-18x44.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
Big pool of scopes out there at that price range.
Help us out a little...what features are you most attracted to for this guns purpose
magnification range?
reticle?
dialing ? MOA? MRAD?
physical size/weight?
light gathering?

I try not to be fan-boy of any one specific product unless I know it is bomb proof. For rifle scopes I try to match my purpose to the best available product in my budget...though I have several brand names I avoid due to bad previous experiences.

Mag range I’d like 3/4 up to 14/18 x range.
Light gathering is a huge aspect for me, a 50-56mm objective would be in the ballpark of my interest.

MOA/MRAD to ME isn’t a huge issue. I’m more of a “set it and forget it” kind of guys right now. I don’t have any places that I shoot locally past 150 yards anyways. Maybe one day I’ll get more into target shooting and making substantial adjustments.

Reticle I love the BDC Redicles for quick shot opportunities. I also like MilDot, MilPlex to give you an idea.

In order of importance:
Glass quality, Reliability, Light Gathering, a BDC/MilDot style reticle with a mag range of 3-4 up to 14-20 for $750-1,300 for a quick summary.

TN2shot07

WKR
I’d vote Leupold vx5 3-15 or a Zeiss conquest 4-16, both have plenty of reticle choices and are in that budget.
Also, free marriage advice… Don’t be afraid to discuss big purchases, it’s a hell of a lot better for everything to be in the open and on the same page

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I would also look at Trijicon and Meopta with your budget. In full disclosure, the only Trijicon i have hands on experience with was the ACOG, but I have seen lots of good feedback on the other scopes they make.

Vaultman

WKR
Mag range I’d like 3/4 up to 14/18 x range.
Light gathering is a huge aspect for me, a 50-56mm objective would be in the ballpark of my interest.

MOA/MRAD to ME isn’t a huge issue. I’m more of a “set it and forget it” kind of guys right now. I don’t have any places that I shoot locally past 150 yards anyways. Maybe one day I’ll get more into target shooting and making substantial adjustments.

Reticle I love the BDC Redicles for quick shot opportunities. I also like MilDot, MilPlex to give you an idea.

In order of importance:
Glass quality, Reliability, Light Gathering, a BDC/MilDot style reticle with a mag range of 3-4 up to 14-20 for $750-1,300 for a quick summary.
For your first 3 in order of importance... I would go with Zeiss V4. I have always loved my Zeiss scopes. I am not a dial a range guy so I am not sure on the "return to zero". But for glass quality and light gathering, I don't know that they can be beat in that cost range. Imo! Ymmv.

Rock-o

WKR
Let me mention before I merge bank accounts with the fiancé/wife in the next 8-9 months, I’m looking into making a last purchase or two “on my own”.

I really wanted to buy a rifle, but I figured she may notice a new rifle purchase. A new scope however, would fall by the wayside.

Not even married and having to hide purchases? Man, I'm sorry. But, that's not what we're here to discuss.

How about a Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 FFP?

Wapiti1

WKR
First, I would suggest the yours, mine and ours approach to bank accounts.

Then I would suggest two directions:

If you wish to dial for distance, a 6X SWFA and be done with it. If you want variable, 3-9 SWFA. Nightforce SHV 3-10 would also fit well here.

Or, if you don't wish to dial, but still want some hold over markers, a Trijicon 3-9 Accupoint with MIL DOT reticle.
Any of these would serve you well for a long while.

Jeremy

WMag338

WKR
Have a joint account, but also keep separate accounts. Trust me on this.

Also, check out Europtics and Sportoptics. You can get killer deals on demo scopes from many of the top tier optics manufacturers.

SteveCNJ

WKR
It's working class people who need pre-nups. If a rich guy has 20 mil and he loses half he's still doing OK and will eventually replace the lost money. If a working class guy gets hit with alimony we're screwed for many years to life. With the divorce rate around 50% why take the chance.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Leup..Mk4 M1 4.5-14x50 TMR...right around $700 at Midway...I've got two of them now, thinking hard about getting a third. All on 6.5's. All have dropped big game. I have no problem spotting and hitting my 1000 yard gong which 12x14. I'd never shoot big game at that range but its fun plinking for me. 500 to 600 yards on a elk is a chip shot as far as the scope goes. Perfect for a gentleman in your position. Promise it's a mike drop.-WW

ps. As a veteran, we all know what the divorce rate with us is, well all the banking stuff mentioned before is gold. And prenups are for everyone now. My gf brought that up on date number 2, talk about a load off my back.

pps. I also have a VX3i LRP 6.5-20x50 on another 6.5 Creed and honestly, I'm happier with the Mk4 on a hunting rifle. The VX is fun on my heavy target gun, but no fun packing around the hills all day.

Last edited:
Answer:

Leupold and Vortex have always been great for me, there are no doubt better scopes out there, but these have worked for me. I am inside the 400 yard range and typical October-November western conditions, sunny days to freezing drizzle, and a blizzard for good measure. I have had good luck with a Vortex Viper HST on my 7mm RM, think it was in that $950 price range, 7 Antelope and 5 Muleys from 100-400 yards, open prairies to sage brush hills, never felt like it was my scope holding me back (I always get done Elk hunting in September, so can't say how that set up does in the Elk woods).

Comment:

Yes pre-nups!!! Had that conversation right away, also joint accounts are fine, but always have your own account, and encourage her to do the same. The big thing on the joint is making sure your not the one putting all the money into it.

When it comes to your money, don't hide your purchases, better to be honest and have that fight/discussion upfront, sets the tone. Hunting and having decent gear are not crimes, and its not cheating on her either.