Help choosing 223 rifle

TFin04

FNG
I have a few specifics I am looking for in a medium weight but compact bolt action 223:

- Hinged floor plate. I hate carrying rifles with detachable mags. I may consider a truly flush fit magazine ala-Ruger American but would strongly prefer a traditional hinged floor plate.

- Fast twist for heavy bullets.

- Availability of Bell and Carlson stock. I have a Knight UL Muzzleloader with B&C stock and want to match this rifle as closely as I can to it.

I know the simple answer is Ruger American but I'd like to see what other options may fit this bill. Thanks!

OP
T

TFin04

FNG
I haven't watched this market in several years, what's the quality on current production Remington?

xsn10s

WKR
My new production 700 ADL 7mm RM is pretty slick. But the "jeweling" on the bolt is a joke lol. The bolt does cycle smoothly. The trigger is the non adjustable Timney 3lbs 12 oz, we'll see if it lightens up with use. I got the ADL because I knew I'd change the stock. It's in a used KRG Bravo. With limited load development is shoots sub moa. Here's the latest group with only 30 rounds down the barrel. Shot off a pack that kept settling on me with each shot, no rear rest. Shot this load out to 800 yards on a steel buffalo. I didn't walk down range but all the hits looked like they hit the shoulder where I was aiming. 1699898006233.jpeg

I haven't watched this market in several years, what's the quality on current production Remington?

The new rifles are excellent, build quality is pre freedom group or even better. My SPS Tactical shoots better than any of the 3 Tikkas I just sold did and the velocity with Federal 77gr TMK is 10fps faster from the 16.5” barrel than it was from 22” Tikka SS barrel.

xsn10s

WKR
Now when they say "non adjustable". Does that mean the screws are glued in place, or is it really non adjustable?
I didn't take a good look but as I remember it it's really non adjustable. Some of the new production did come with an adjustable trigger. I think it depended on when in the new production cycle it was built.

Now when they say "non adjustable". Does that mean the screws are glued in place, or is it really non adjustable?

There’s no adjustment points. Mine has a good bit of creep and doesn’t break very consistently, it’s an improvement from an xmark but an old style trigger is a better trigger. I’m waiting for TT’s holiday sales and it will be replaced with a TT Special 2 stage.

Call TT, they will send you a return label and replace the trigger for free and upgrade it if it’s an older one. Their customer service is excellent. If you take it apart you’re on your own for warranty forever and it’s all proprietary parts so not like you can replace anything.

TaperPin

WKR
A lot of times a Remington will be very close in cost from one store to the next, so it was a surprise to see $100 difference between Cabelas and Sportsmens wearhouse for the same 223 adl.

xsn10s

WKR
A lot of times a Remington will be very close in cost from one store to the next, so it was a surprise to see $100 difference between Cabelas and Sportsmens wearhouse for the same 223 adl.
I've seen a lot of the older Remingtons with slower twist go for cheaper , but not so much with the new Remarms. Anything is possible, I'd make sure on the twist.

TaperPin

WKR
I've seen a lot of the older Remingtons with slower twist go for cheaper , but not so much with the new Remarms. Anything is possible, I'd make sure on the twist.
That’s a good call. I hadn’t even thought of that - the more expensive one was 1:8 and I assumed the other was, but didn’t actually look at it up close.

xsn10s

WKR
That’s a good call. I hadn’t even thought of that - the more expensive one was 1:8 and I assumed the other was, but didn’t actually look at it up close.
could of been an older model. but hey if the price is cheaper for a new model then that's great!

OP
T

TFin04

FNG
Thanks for the help guys. Good to hear new RemArms is doing well, that's probably the easy button for this problem.

terryda

FNG
Interested in the Bell and Carlson stock that kickemall has for sale that is for a Ruger American 223.

terryda

FNG
Kickenmall's posting does not have a "post reply' option. I just recently registered and, for the life of me, cannot figure out how to contact him. Any advice would be appreciated.

terryda

FNG
Have a Ruger American Predator in 223. Found that it likes the Hornady American 60 gr Interlok sold at Academy.