Help Identifying A Howl

Rokwiia

WKR
Here is an audio of something canine that I recorded that I am trying to identify and was hoping to get some help from the depth of experience here on Rokslide.

This was recorded by me in the blackness of night in an area that is very desolate with no civilization for miles. It was produced by one canine, not several or a pack. The howls began and then proceeded to come toward my camp, then moved away, then returned once again. There are two howls in the beginning and then a lot more in the middle and end of the audio file.

The one thing I remember more than anything else when it happened is the howls were so forceful I was certain they would blow out the canine's lungs. You can hear that clearly in several of the howls which went on for about 6 minutes (less after editing).

Any thoughts what it is that is making these howls?

Last edited:
Here is an audio of something canine that I recorded that I am trying to identify and was hoping to get some help from the depth of experience here on Rokslide.

This was recorded by me in the blackness of night in an area that is very desolate with no civilization for miles. It was produced by one canine, not several or a pack. The howls began and then proceeded to come toward my camp, then moved away, then returned once again. There are two howls in the beginning and then a lot more in the middle and end of the audio file.

The one thing I remember more than anything else when it happened is the howls were so forceful I was certain they would blow out the canine's lungs. You can hear that clearly in several of the howls which went on for about 6 minutes (less after editing).

Any thoughts what it is that is making these howls?

The link is broken, at least on mobile Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The recording was made in an area where wolves do not exist. I also thought the sound was too deep to be a coyote.

Having said that, I wonder if it is possible for it to be a coywolf.

Last edited:
I've listened to a number of coywolf/eastern coyote audio clips on YouTube and, to my ear, they all sound a bit higher on the octave scale than what I recorded above.

I hear wolves all the time where we hunt (Idaho), and that does not sound like a wolf. It almost sounds like a bark along with the howl. Interesting for sure, but my opinion is not a wolf. Never heard a coywolf, but the yotes I hear have the high pitched chuckle and howl. Is this the YETI?:unsure:

Doesn't sound like any coyote I've ever heard, but I've never been in eastern coyote country either. It does sound a little more wolf-like to me (although still not quite right), but that doesn't make in the NE, nor does a coywolf. I remember Fur-Fish-Game used to run pics of giant eastern coyotes and coydogs, so maybe it was a coydog? Or is there any reason to think it couldn't simply be a feral dog?

Sounds like the coyotes that we have around here in the Northeast. I've shot several coyotes that weighed in the 60 pound range.

Why be so secretive about the location? Cant even narrow it to a state?
You know for absolute fact there is no possible way it can be a wolf. Govt lies for years about where there are.
But it just sounds like a feral dog to me.
They are an actual legit problem.
Govt trappers smoke feral dogs all the time.

I would say possibly wolf , never heard a coy wolf , but could be. Feral dogs are a possibility. Wapitihunter, Why do you say not a wolf? Because of the barking? I have heard plenty of barking from wolves. Just curious
I hear wolves all the time where we hunt (Idaho), and that does not sound like a wolf. It almost sounds like a bark along with the howl. Interesting for sure, but my opinion is not a wolf. Never heard a coywolf, but the yotes I hear have the high pitched chuckle and howl. Is this the YETI?:unsure:

I would say possibly wolf , never heard a coy wolf , but could be. Feral dogs are a possibility. Wapitihunter, Why do you say not a wolf? Because of the barking? I have heard plenty of barking from wolves. Just curious
My experience has always had the drawn out / extended howl from the wolves. I can't rule out a single wolf that was kicked out, but I just didn't hear anything familiar in the soundbite.

Back