Help judging

lcneo2112

FNG
I’ve never hunted sheep. A hiker took this pic of a sheep from my unit in Colorado just recently. Does this seem like a middle of the road size sheep? Average size? Shooter or no?
d1c70a203aa0e2424a0da47f9bc0afb0.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Might squeak 7, easily 6 years old. Double broomed with character, looks to be a fighter. In a couple more years that's a dandy.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
What unit? If you are bowhunting, take the first 3/4 curl or better you see and be happy with the accomplishment. There are some units that I'd let that walk but there are some units that I would take that ram in the first hour of season.

Go back and look at the harvest stats of your unit. Know what to expect for that unit. If there are a bunch of rams taken that are over 30", then hold out. However, if most rams harvested in your unit are 1/2 to 3/4 curl, I'd take this ram. If the success rate of your unit is poor, you need to be real with yourself and take this ram.

You drew a tag, that's a big deal. Now go make it happen!

OP
L

lcneo2112

FNG
What unit? If you are bowhunting, take the first 3/4 curl or better you see and be happy with the accomplishment. There are some units that I'd let that walk but there are some units that I would take that ram in the first hour of season.

Go back and look at the harvest stats of your unit. Know what to expect for that unit. If there are a bunch of rams taken that are over 30", then hold out. However, if most rams harvested in your unit are 1/2 to 3/4 curl, I'd take this ram. If the success rate of your unit is poor, you need to be real with yourself and take this ram.

You drew a tag, that's a big deal. Now go make it happen!

Unit S9 Colorado

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
I remember you now. Are you still booked with Sangre? Kent will get you on a better ram than that, especially with a rifle. Your target ram is going to be 170"+. 80% success rate last year in S9 with a rifle. Trust your guide, you have a good one!

Did you get your Wild Sheep Foundation membership updated? I'd hate for you to get a big ram and not get an award in Reno next year.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep Hunting Statistics

OP
L

lcneo2112

FNG
I remember you now. Are you still booked with Sangre? Kent will get you on a better ram than that, especially with a rifle. Your target ram is going to be 170"+. 80% success rate last year in S9 with a rifle. Trust your guide, you have a good one!

Did you get your Wild Sheep Foundation membership updated? I'd hate for you to get a big ram and not get an award in Reno next year.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep Hunting Statistics

Yes I’m a member. I guess what I’m kind of asking is if 170 is a reality what is the one in the picture...

OP
L

lcneo2112

FNG
Yes I’m still booked with sangre

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
The ram pictured would be very lucky to go over 150", in my opinion. Hard without seeing more angles but your target ram will be much better.

You are going with the best guide/outfitter for the unit, so get your shooting dialed-in and get into even better shape. S9 is a butt-kicker/real sheep hunt but you will get an opportunity at a great ram, if you are able to preform physically.

Added Images

Looks 6 years old, no more than that looking at the annular rings on the left. Bases not filled out, and length maybe 32". Six years old max. Lower curl coming forward not below the jaw line. I wouldn't give this youngster a look for at least three more years. Hope you find something in the 170-plus range... won't go over 145-148 B&C. Best of luck to you.
Will try to attach some images. RMBS from Oregon 2009. 9.5 years old. 17 4/8" bases 38 4/8" R 35 6/8" L 179 6/8 net B&C. The Stone's lengths from my original post regarding Unit 11 maps, are 39 5/8" each, 14 3/8" bases B&C 162 5/8" net 10.5 years old. Hope the images are large enough to get a good idea of what to look for.
Diddywahdiddy.

Attachments

• IMG_5678.jpg
    IMG_5678.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5703.jpg
    IMG_5703.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5662.jpg
    IMG_5662.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5686.jpg