Help me choose a scope for my sheep rifle

I’ve got an ultralight build coming my way this spring. Still undecided on what to top it with. Because this is a very lightweight build, I’m trying to meet my criteria, without going “overbuilt” for the job. Here’s my non-negotiables/considerations:

Max range will be 700 yards
Mils w/holdover reticle
Reliable tracking w/zero stop
Holds zero/durability
Lightweight: Max 24oz, preferably closer to 20

I’ve basically got two options (unless I’m missing something) from my research:

Nightforce NSX 2.5-10x42
Trijicon Credo 3-15x42

Before I get the FFP crowd chiming in, I’m choosing 2nd focal plane scopes on purpose. I’ve tried both, I’m sticking with a 2nd focal plane. Im looking for real world user feedback on these scopes at full power, (10x and 15x respectively) for holdover and wind hold in hunting situations. Is the 10x on the Nightforce enough juice for the 5-700 yard shots? Is the 15x on the Trijicon too much for the 2-400 yard shots?

I prefer to dial for drop and hold for wind. However, I’m switching to Mils to learn/take advantage of a holdover reticle for dynamic situations.

I’m already biased toward the Nightforce for three reasons.

1. The durability/reliability of tracking for dialing. I know the credo did well in the drop tests, but there’s a part of me that just trusts Nightforce more
2. Lighter weight
3. In my previous hunting, I typically shoot stuff at ranges inside 500 yards. However, I want the capability to stretch out if needed, so if the 10x isn’t enough, I could be swayed to the Trijicon, or something else?

I have one major concern with the Nightforce, and that’s mounting. I will be mounting with Hawkins LR Hybrids (once I can get my hands on a set without the 20MOA cant). Eye relief could be an issue. Action is a Falkor LW7. I really don’t want to have to go to a rail, as it will cost me a net total of 6.5oz (for a Falkor split rail + NF ultralights) The Falkor has the same spacing as a Defiance, so I may have another lightweight aluminum rail option out there I’m not aware of? How reliable are aluminum rails in general? Anyone have experience mounting the NXS 2.5-10 on a Manners PH with one piece talleys or Hawkins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
NXS compact is plenty power for any shot u should take. I did have to use higher rings to make it work..
AL rails are plenty solid. More solid than talleys or Hawkins hybrids.

The trijicon 2.5-15 is awesome. I have several nightforce and trijicon scopes and my choice for my backcountry lightweight rifle is the 2.5-15x42 credo. Mine is a 280 AI and in order to use the little NXS, I would have had to add a rail. I was able to use hawkins with the credo. All in I am just over 7lbs.

OP
Jake Larsen
NXS compact is plenty power for any shot u should take. I did have to use higher rings to make it work..
AL rails are plenty solid. More solid than talleys or Hawkins hybrids.

I’ll have to call Falkor and see if the defiance aluminum rail will fit. If not, I found Murphy Precision. Sounds like He’ll custom build a titanium rail for whatever oddball spacing you need. Any issue with titanium that you’re aware of?

Also, when you say “higher rings” how high are we talking? I’ve never set up a pic rail, so it’s all new to me. Looks like the Nightforce ULs have a ton of height options…

Elite

WKR
Leica amplus 6 is 23 oz and has been extremely reliable for dialling

Elite

WKR
I also personally find the 10x to be lacking at 700 yards

atmat

WKR
However, I’m switching to Mils to learn/take advantage of a holdover reticle for dynamic situations.
This statement isn’t super compatible with SFP systems. Your holdovers are only accurate at one magnification, which isn’t conducive to “dynamic situations.”

I’ve spent time on the NXS. It’s a good scope, incredibly functional. Between the two, I’d choose it for no other reason than 10x is the max mag range I’d go on a SFP scope.

I know you’re anti-FFP, but at least check out the SB Klassic 3-12x42. It meets all of your criteria and is incredibly visible at low power. It’s limited to 4.8mil elevation, but depending on altitude and caliber that should get you to 700. It would be a disservice not to check it out.

OP
Jake Larsen
The trijicon 2.5-15 is awesome. I have several nightforce and trijicon scopes and my choice for my backcountry lightweight rifle is the 2.5-15x42 credo. Mine is a 280 AI and in order to use the little NXS, I would have had to add a rail. I was able to use hawkins with the credo. All in I am just over 7lbs.

Good info, thanks. Seems like my options are likely:

2.5-15 Credo with Hawkins mounts

2.5-10 NSX with aluminum or titanium pic rail + Nightforce UL rings.

Credo is heavier than the NSX, but can be mounted with lighter bases. Weight is essentially a wash, or within 1oz based on some quick internet research of actual weights.

So it comes down to if the 10x is enough juice. Definitely a better option for sub 400 yard shots, Due to FOV - follow up shots and spotting impacts.

OP
Jake Larsen
This statement isn’t super compatible with SFP systems. Your holdovers are only accurate at one magnification, which isn’t conducive to “dynamic situations.”

I’ve spent time on the NXS. It’s a good scope, incredibly functional. Between the two, I’d choose it for no other reason than 10x is the max mag range I’d go on a SFP scope.

I know you’re anti-FFP, but at least check out the SB Klassic 3-12x42. It meets all of your criteria and is incredibly visible at low power. It’s limited to 4.8mil elevation, but depending on altitude and caliber that should get you to 700. It would be a disservice not to check it out.

I’ll check it out, thanks for the recommendation

I understand the benefit of FFP, having used one in the past. I ran a Mark5 HD for several years. Pros just don’t outweigh the cons for a hunting specific rig at the ranges/places I shoot animals. The whole reason I’m debating between these two scopes is exactly as you stated - I will have to run at full mag in order to use the reticle. Not a big deal in a dynamic situation, just throw the lever all the way to the right and get after it. I’m also leaning heavily toward the NSX because 10x is going to likely be advantageous in most realistic hunting scenarios for me.

Last edited:
Good info, thanks. Seems like my options are likely:

2.5-15 Credo with Hawkins mounts

2.5-10 NSX with aluminum or titanium pic rail + Nightforce UL rings.

Credo is heavier than the NSX, but can be mounted with lighter bases. Weight is essentially a wash, or within 1oz based on some quick internet research of actual weights.

So it comes down to if the 10x is enough juice. Definitely a better option for sub 400 yard shots, Due to FOV - follow up shots and spotting impacts.

I like having 15x on the top. 10 is enough, but 15 is better. I prefer the reticle in the credo over the little nxs. I like that the windage turret is capped on the credo. Both are awesome scopes and you can’t go wrong either way. I was in the same boat you were debating the same two scopes and have no regrets.

OP
Jake Larsen
I like having 15x on the top. 10 is enough, but 15 is better. I prefer the reticle in the credo over the little nxs. I like that the windage turret is capped on the credo. Both are awesome scopes and you can’t go wrong either way. I was in the same boat you were debating the same two scopes and have no regrets.

Might have to get one of each haha. I do have another rifle that will need a Mil based scope…

OP
Jake Larsen
Leica amplus 6 is 23 oz and has been extremely reliable for dialling

No holdover reticle unfortunately. Could fit the bill otherwise. Wonder about durability, this is one that should be on the list for Form to test

Last edited:

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I use the NXS 2.5-10 and can easily engage any deer sized animal even at extended range. Same for my SHV 3-10s. Both are reliable scopes and in your weight range.

I usually think that 1-1.5X per 100 yards is suitable mag range. I rarely use over 8X unless I'm punching paper. Most hunting shots are 4-8X for me even out to 600+ yards and this works perfectly fine.

NXS works fine for holdovers, but for hunting if you have time to dial, then I'd strongly advise dialing elevation regardless of SFP or FFP scopes. I just find that under pressure there is too much to go wrong remembering to set the magnification and how it relates to the reticle for holdovers. I know many hunters using holdover reticles that indeed held over and shot over the animal!

Like you, I think FFP is not needed for hunting at lower magnifications. The reticles get too small and are difficult to use in dark or less than ideal conditions. I use FFP in comps, but my hunting scopes have been SFP largely because that's what was available, but also I just can't stand small hard to see reticles at low magnification where I do most of my shooting in hunting.

FWIW, I feel strongly that high magnification when hunting hampers follow-up shots. Even suppressed at high magnification it's easy for the animal to fall out of the field of view. Lower power means I can spot my own shots and get a follow-up if the animal has not gone down or starts to move off due to a miss.

I just had this happen this weekend where I shot a fallow at a 30 degree decline. First shot was good, but then it started kicking and sliding and I did a quick follow-up to keep from having it go about 300 yards down the slope. Couldn't have done it at high mag.

I forgot to add that I slid retrieving this animal down some scree and the rifle took a hard fall on the rocks when I went down with it. It's nice knowing it was going to hold zero when I did more hunting that day. IMG_2873.jpgIMG_2874.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Jake Larsen
I use the NXS 2.5-10 and can easily engage any deer sized animal even at extended range. Same for my SHV 3-10s. Both are reliable scopes and in your weight range.

I usually think that 1-1.5X per 100 yards is suitable mag range. I rarely use over 8X unless I'm punching paper. Most hunting shots are 4-8X for me even out to 600+ yards and this works perfectly fine.

NXS works fine for holdovers, but for hunting if you have time to dial, then I'd strongly advise dialing elevation regardless of SFP or FFP scopes. I just find that under pressure there is too much to go wrong remembering to set the magnification and how it relates to the reticle for holdovers. I know many hunters using holdover reticles that indeed held over and shot over the animal!

Like you, I think FFP is not needed for hunting at lower magnifications. The reticles get too small and are difficult to use in dark or less than ideal conditions. I use FFP in comps, but my hunting scopes have been SFP largely because that's what was available, but also I just can't stand small hard to see reticles at low magnification where I do most of my shooting in hunting.

FWIW, I feel strongly that high magnification when hunting hampers follow-up shots. Even suppressed at high magnification it's easy for the animal to fall out of the field of view. Lower power means I can spot my own shots and get a follow-up if the animal has not gone down or starts to move off due to a miss.

I just had this happen this weekend where I shot a fallow at a 30 degree decline. First shot was good, but then it started kicking and sliding and I did a quick follow-up to keep from having it go about 300 yards down the slope. Couldn't have done it at high mag.

I forgot to add that I slid retrieving this animal down some scree and the rifle took a hard fall on the rocks when I went down with it. It's nice knowing it was going to hold zero when I did more hunting that day. View attachment 652795View attachment 652796

Thanks for taking the time to answer so thoroughly. Point by point, this has been exactly my experience as well, and confirms my thought process leaning toward the NXS.

I’ve been using a dial for elevation, hold for wind MOA based scope the last several years. That system has worked very well for me, but the scope has basically useless sub tensions for holdover. I only want the holdover capability for fast situations when I don’t have time to dial. I practice extensively in field positions, and mostly with my primary hunting rifle. I think/hope I’ll be able to get proficient enough to at least have a chance with the holdover system if I should ever need to use it. The “mph” wind hold system and hacks for quickly calculating drop in Mils should be plenty accurate for the ranges I’ll be shooting.

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got an ultralight build coming my way this spring. Still undecided on what to top it with. Because this is a very lightweight build, I’m trying to meet my criteria, without going “overbuilt” for the job. Here’s my non-negotiables/considerations:

Max range will be 700 yards
Mils w/holdover reticle
Reliable tracking w/zero stop
Holds zero/durability
Lightweight: Max 24oz, preferably closer to 20

I’ve basically got two options (unless I’m missing something) from my research:

Nightforce NSX 2.5-10x42
Trijicon Credo 3-15x42

Before I get the FFP crowd chiming in, I’m choosing 2nd focal plane scopes on purpose. I’ve tried both, I’m sticking with a 2nd focal plane. Im looking for real world user feedback on these scopes at full power, (10x and 15x respectively) for holdover and wind hold in hunting situations. Is the 10x on the Nightforce enough juice for the 5-700 yard shots? Is the 15x on the Trijicon too much for the 2-400 yard shots?

I prefer to dial for drop and hold for wind. However, I’m switching to Mils to learn/take advantage of a holdover reticle for dynamic situations.

I’m already biased toward the Nightforce for three reasons.

1. The durability/reliability of tracking for dialing. I know the credo did well in the drop tests, but there’s a part of me that just trusts Nightforce more
2. Lighter weight
3. In my previous hunting, I typically shoot stuff at ranges inside 500 yards. However, I want the capability to stretch out if needed, so if the 10x isn’t enough, I could be swayed to the Trijicon, or something else?

I have one major concern with the Nightforce, and that’s mounting. I will be mounting with Hawkins LR Hybrids (once I can get my hands on a set without the 20MOA cant). Eye relief could be an issue. Action is a Falkor LW7. I really don’t want to have to go to a rail, as it will cost me a net total of 6.5oz (for a Falkor split rail + NF ultralights) The Falkor has the same spacing as a Defiance, so I may have another lightweight aluminum rail option out there I’m not aware of? How reliable are aluminum rails in general? Anyone have experience mounting the NXS 2.5-10 on a Manners PH with one piece talleys or Hawkins?

I know it was not asked but, reading your post, the first thing that came to my mind was: why a ultralight build? In order to shoot at those distances, a more stable aandless recoiling platform is useful. If you are young and fit, i would consider to build a rifle around 10-11 pounds for this applications.
That said, looking at your scope choices it seems like your budget is limited, otherwise i would have suggested a NX8 4-32×50 SFP.
15x is perfectly usable for shots between 2 and 400 yards while i would prefer having more than 10x for a 700 yards shot but this depends also on the size of the animals you are gonna hunt.
Between the 2 brands, i would stick with nightforce. Too many bad reviews about the trijicons to take the risk for me and NF scopes are among the most proven in the world, esoecially from a reliability/tracking point of view

atmat

WKR
Pros just don’t outweigh the cons for a hunting specific rig at the ranges/places I shoot animals.
The only potential negative of FFP is poor visibility at low magnification. The SB Klassic 3-12x42 is an awesome reticle that doesn’t have that issue. I promise it checks all your boxes haha.

I’ll have to call Falkor and see if the defiance aluminum rail will fit. If not, I found Murphy Precision. Sounds like He’ll custom build a titanium rail for whatever oddball spacing you need. Any issue with titanium that you’re aware of?

Also, when you say “higher rings” how high are we talking? I’ve never set up a pic rail, so it’s all new to me. Looks like the Nightforce ULs have a ton of height options…

Sorry if I missed it but will this be on a short or long action? If on a short you should be fine using rings and should be able to get proper eye relief if going that route. You mentioned your action has the same spacing as a Defiance. I have the NXS Compact mounted on 2 Rebel actions in low Talley rings/bases and for me anyway the eye relief was no problem. You don't have much wiggle room but enough or at least I did. Stock used is a Proof but should still be doable with the one you will be using. Not a great picture but you can sort of see how the scope works in Talleys.

OP
Jake Larsen
I know it was not asked but, reading your post, the first thing that came to my mind was: why a ultralight build? In order to shoot at those distances, a more stable aandless recoiling platform is useful. If you are young and fit, i would consider to build a rifle around 10-11 pounds for this applications.
That said, looking at your scope choices it seems like your budget is limited, otherwise i would have suggested a NX8 4-32×50 SFP.
15x is perfectly usable for shots between 2 and 400 yards while i would prefer having more than 10x for a 700 yards shot but this depends also on the size of the animals you are gonna hunt.
Between the 2 brands, i would stick with nightforce. Too many bad reviews about the trijicons to take the risk for me and NF scopes are among the most proven in the world, esoecially from a reliability/tracking point of view

If you’d ever hunted sheep country you wouldn’t be asking “why ultralight” haha. My current rifle is in the same weight range. With practice and good ergonomics on a stock, 7-8 lbs finished rifles can be shot well at mid/long ish ranges.

Budget has nothing to do with it, an NX 8 just doesn’t fit inside the parameters of the intended use. Different tools for different jobs. If I was building a dedicated long range rifle, it’d be 10 lbs with a 4-16 ATACR on it

OP
Jake Larsen
Sorry if I missed it but will this be on a short or long action? If on a short you should be fine using rings and should be able to get proper eye relief if going that route. You mentioned your action has the same spacing as a Defiance. I have the NXS Compact mounted on 2 Rebel actions in low Talley rings/bases and for me anyway the eye relief was no problem. You don't have much wiggle room but enough or at least I did. Stock used is a Proof but should still be doable with the one you will be using. Not a great picture but you can sort of see how the scope works in Talleys.

Excellent info, thanks! It is on a short action. Falkor LW7, in a Manners PH stock.