Help me pick a shotgun

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I started a thread like 3 years ago and things just sort of never panned out. I had a sale fall through on a shotgun, bought a house, finished a masters degree and spent more time moose hunting. Now I’m back to wanting a good shotgun for waterfowl hunting.

I’ve narrowed it down to a few and I’d be interested in input and maybe direct comparisons. For the sake of discussion, I’m only going to get a 12g, and either a 26 or 28” barrel. Knowing very little about shotguns I’d assume that a gun that shoots 3.5” shells can also shoot 3”? The shotguns I have now are an old 870 wingmaster that is….old. No finish left on it. And some cheap weatherby that cost about 300 bucks. I’ve shot dicks and gees with both but it’s time to get a better gun. Again, this is for ducks and geese, coastal Alaska,

I’m looking at the following.

-benelli SBE 3 BE.s.t - do these really shoot high?

-benelli m2 - I understand it’s basically a 3” version of the SBE? Dosent have the be.s.t coating though.

-benelli cordoba be.s.t - I see this is sort of an upland gun that people say works well for ducks, any reason it wouldn’t work for geese too? (Sorry if that’s a ridiculous question)

-beretta a400 extreme plus - seems legit
-browning a5 wicked wing - seems nice too

Any opinions here are more than appreciated, if there’s anything else I should look at or avoid all together please let me know.

SloppyJ

WKR
I was between a SBE, A400, or a Browning Maxus 2 and ended up with the Browning. You just need to go grab each one and see which feels better. I was able to narrow it down really quick when I did that. At the end of the day, all 3 are top options and I doubt you could go wrong. I ran into the Browning new for $1275 so I jumped. Gun.deals is your friend and search it by the model number from the manufacturer's website.

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
You’re shopping all of the ‘correct‘ brands and whatever fits the best is your answer.

I have an A400 Xtreme and it’s been flawless killing ducks, geese and sandhill cranes. That said, it’s not a svelte and lively upland gun by any stretch of the imagination, but that’s not your aim.

Beretta, Benelli, Browning are all solid makers.

yfarm

WKR
I like shotguns that swing well, long barrels seem awkward to me, for used an A5 magnum with a 30” barrel, currently use an 1100 upland with a 21” barrel, have killed doves,quail,ducks,pheasants and geese with the gun. Also own several citoris with 26” barrels, lack of a receiver makes those the same oal as the 1100. If it dies, my next will be a Beretta 1301 Comp with the 21” barrel for the same reason, it also has a 3” chamber unlike the 1100. Lots of discussion here and elsewhere about not needing a 3.5” chamber. I live at the coast on a hypersaline bay, will not take blued guns on the boats, as a result bought a 935 3.5” Turkey gun, coated, relatively cheap, works well, dont’ worry about rust. Have killed a lot of conservation white geese with no failures(only 3” shells). Good luck.

VernAK

WKR
TH,
You're in the right shotgun area. Berettas and Benellis rule the crane/goose fields here in Delta. I use the A400 as I'm very familiar with Berettas and have three other Berettas. I'm old and don't appreciate recoil and the gas gun Beretta has a bit less recoil IMO. Although my two waterfowl Berettas are 3.5", I only shoot 3" as it's all I need.

As for shooting high......the buttstock is easily adjusted for that. Lubricant is often an issue with autoloads.

Don't let go of that old 870!

Let us know what you choose.

V8n

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
Do Beretta's still have the safety forward of the trigger guard? One of my Dad's does and I never got around to liking that. I'm sure it just takes some time with the shotgun to become familiar.

SBE or M2, can't go wrong.
Franchi Affinity for another option (think sako v. tikka, benelli v. franchi) that hasn't had any issues for me.
Don't own but have used SBE2, SBE3 and m2. They're all good.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
As for shooting high......the buttstock is easily adjusted for that. Lubricant is often an issue with autoloads.

It's my understanding that the Benelli rib/bead/bore alignment is regulated for the target to be fully visible above the bead, thus shooting "high" compared to other guns. Think of it like the clay bird and the bead forming an "8" for pattern placement.

My M1 slows to molasses in the cold with any lubricant whatsoever, even full synthetic gun oil in the mechanism.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Go pick some up and shoulder them, also when you get one figure out what shims will help you get the most natural alignment when shouldering yt vids for this. I think you can’t go wrong with any of the big names. Did a lot of waterfowl hunting with a browning maxus, franchi affinity 12g, benelli super nova and finally backed off to a 20 ga franchi affinity. If I buy another semi auto shotgun it would be a franchi or benelli M2. Good luck on the journey! I have heard awesome stories about waterfowling in Ak

Any reason you didn't list the Beretta 1301 for consideration? Coming from an AL390, it is obscenely fast to cycle. By the end of a day on the dove field with my AL390, I felt like I was waiting forever for the action to cycle as I tracked the next bird.

There are some good deals out there on the 1301 Comp Pro, but you'll likely want to take some spray paint or Cerakote to that receiver.

yfarm

WKR
This fall I fired 2 cases(400 rds) of dove loads without cleaning my 1100 to see how long it would function.Stopped at 400 as I could hear the action cycling between rounds. Cleaned and went back to normal function. The cycle time is one of the attractive features of the 1301. Use a Citori for sporting clays for this reason. The autos used by people I shoot with simply cant cycle as fast as a double. The comp has a black receiver rather than the blue on the pro.

I have an SBE3 that I won at a DU Event. Mine does not seem to shoot high, but I don't shoot it that often and I have not patterned it. I generally prefer my Franchi Affinity. Both shoot 3.5 in shells, but I've only shot turkey loads out of the Franchi.

My BiLs SBE3 did shoot high after he patterned it multiple times. I think he's sending it back to Benelli, but I suggested he take to a gunsmith first. Not sure what he's planning on doing. Neither his nor mine are the BE S.T versions.

I was spoiled with picking a Beretta AL390 from my uncle for $300, my vote is the A400. I like gas guns vs inertia guns. A couple buddies had issues with various Benelli’s. Gas guns are smoother to me but need more maintenance compared to inertia guns. 3.5” will take 3” shells. If you can test fit them in person you may find you do like one better than the other.

dtrkyman

WKR
Many of the guns you list have adjustable spacers to fit the drop and cast to you, an hour at the range and a ratchet will get the gun shooting where you point it!

3.5 inch shells are just not needed.

atmat

WKR
Yes, a 3.5” can shoot smaller shells.

The A400 Xtreme Plus is a joy to shoot, and takedown/cleaning is super easy. GunZoneDeals (or other equivalent) paired with this rebate makes them SUPER attractive right now: https://rapid-rebates.com/A400xtreme

The A300 is great, too, and you don’t really ever need 3.5” shells.