Help me sort through all the Tikka variations, please.

Ok, after MUCH deliberation, way too much actually, yesterday I ordered a Superlight from Cabelas. 6.5 CM, 24" barrel. Talked to smith and he will cut it back to 19" for me, and thread. Its the new camo pattern exclusively for cabelas and the gun is listed at 6 pounds flat. I was looking forward to taking 5" off and losing about 5 ounces... but the cost is an extra few hundred with gunsmith and an interesting looking transition in the fluting to the thread/adapter.

Just this morning I see a model I haven't seen yet on Euro, and they are calling it Roughtech Superlight... it has a 20" threaded barrel and they have it listed at 5.9 pounds. Is this real? I don't see this gun on the Tikka site, but then the tikka site is an interesting one to navigate and now there are so many dang models. That barrel is marginally longer than I wanted, I had settled on 19 but am still thinking hard about 18. No gunsmith needed... no weird transition from fluting to threading/adapter... anyhow, main question is has anyone any experience with this 20" Roughtech superlite??

As far as money goes, I'll be ahead with my current purchase at $949 plus a few hundred for smithing.

Am I missing anything? Are there any other short barreled superlights I am not seeing?

Thanks. I am also now trying to choose a scope.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Love that tikka is getting a clue, now make that same rifle in a 6mm cm… they are getting a little pricey though. For a scope swfa 3-9, trijicon credo or tenmile line, or nightforce or S&B. What kind of ranges are you looking at shooting. The credo 3-9 with hunter reticle is a great scope for 500 yards and in for hold overs, if you want to dial, 3-9 swfa or credo with exposed turrets

OP
Hornseeker
Yeah... I love that 20" barrel option stock, I'm wondeirng if weight is accurate. Also, Euro is calling it a superlite, when tikka doesn't have a roughtech superlite on their site? Maybe I'll call Euro. I guess with the 20" barrel maybe that gun does drop to 5.9?

I am looking at shooting 500 and under. I think if I ever become good at shooting 300/400 and eventually 500, then I'd maybe get a new gun setup with more appropriate scope...?

What is the lightest weight and most reliable way to go on scope, no dialing.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Credo 3-9 with a duplex or hunter reticle. Swfa fixed 2.5-10 ultralight seems pretty reliable NF shv 3-10. The swfa will be least expensive. Then credo, then NF

Can a gunsmith thread a fluted tikka superlight barrel? Even with standard tikka lites typically guys have to cut them back a good bit to get enough metal to thread. I just don’t know that there is enough meat to use unless it is something that your smith has done before and has firsthand knowledge of.

OP
Hornseeker
There's quite a few posts on here that people have done it. I called and chatted with smith and he made it sound like it was no big deal... I probably should really get this ironed out before I take delivery of the one I ordered, because I am not going to be happy with a 24" barrel, or even 22 with the tip cut off.

So, is something like 17 oz considered "lightweight", for a backcountry rifle?
You say SWFS "fixed" 2.5-10? Isn't that a variable? Also, who sells SWFA? I do see some on ebay.

For 300-500 Yards, a christmas tree type reticle would be good right? Or just straight holdover with a regular duplex?

Thanks for all the discussion!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Fixed was a typo, I was thinking fixed 6x but it is a dialer. With the barrel length and caliber you are choosing I would vote Christmas tree reticle for holdover at a minimum, my 20” 6.5 cm starts to really drop around 300 yards, I’m about 13.5” low (zeroed at 100 yards).

Swfa sells there scopes just google them. 17oz isn’t light but seems like you can’t get too much lighter and be reliable these days. Scope is the last place I think about saving weight. I get sort of counter intuitive to have a light rifle with a beefy scope but if the scope can’t maintain zero then it doesn’t matter how light it is

OP
Hornseeker
Ya, I think I can live with the heavier scope if necessary. Question though, without reading scores and scores of threads on this... is the reliability issue more pertinent in the dialing scopes? If I have fixed crosshairs are the Leupolds and such still not reliable??

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ya, I think I can live with the heavier scope if necessary. Question though, without reading scores and scores of threads on this... is the reliability issue more pertinent in the dialing scopes? If I have fixed crosshairs are the Leupolds and such still not reliable??
People need to stop caring if their scope weighs 2-3 ounces more than another scope. It's a fairly important piece of your setup and not the best place to cut weight. There are lots of places to drop a few ounces, the scope shouldn't be one of them.

jahaze

FNG
20" barrels are common in Europe and tikka/sako offer several varieties. However, they can be hard to find here, but maybe they are starting to show up now that suppressors are becoming more common. I had to settle for a 24" barrel on my Sako, I can order a 20" barrel, but at @$700 + shipping, I'd be better off to just buy another gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Hornseeker
People need to stop caring if their scope weighs 2-3 ounces more than another scope. It's a fairly important piece of your setup and not the best place to cut weight. There are lots of places to drop a few ounces, the scope shouldn't be one of them.
So... nut up and buy the NF... 3-10 (22oz) or is that Credo 3-9 legit at 17? Thats 5 oz right there.

OP
Hornseeker
Cool. Ok, Are people using Tikka rings or whats going on there? I'll start searching threads, but since some of you are answering Im gonna just ask!

Macintosh

WKR
my gues is tikka is doing retailer-exclusive models like the cabelas-only camo, and possible the eurooptic version. Either that or its a typo.
Credo is a good scope, only issue is the throw lever can get in the way of the bolt handle. Tikka with a short bolt throw, it may or may not be an issue for you--I had to hacksaw off and file it smooth the throw lever on my wifes kimber. And yes, I bought that credo specifically becasue even the non-dialing duplex reticle scopes ARE frequently a problem. Given your stated use I would personally get the mil-dot reticle on it, it will look just like a duplex most of the time, but if needed you can use the dots for easy holdovers at longer range. Yes, I think 17oz is a lightweight scope if the criteria is one that isnt prone to problems. It's a compact scope so in low rings it puts the weight very close to the gun's center of gravity and really doesnt affect handling much at all--highly doubt you would even notice it, especially on a gun with a particularly short barrel.

Last edited:

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
Cool. Ok, Are people using Tikka rings or whats going on there? I'll start searching threads, but since some of you are answering Im gonna just ask!
Sportsmatch, Talley, Warne, DNZ all make good rings. I’ve run the Talley’s and DNZ’s and had no issues with either. I’ve read people complaining about the Talley’s but have had zero issues on two different 300 wsm’s.

OP
Hornseeker
Credo 3-9 with a duplex or hunter reticle. Swfa fixed 2.5-10 ultralight seems pretty reliable NF shv 3-10. The swfa will be least expensive. Then credo, then NF
SO, I see tons of stuff about the Credo's being bomb... but what about the Accupoint 3-9 at like 13oz. Just not the same build qual as the Credo??

Hnthrdr

WKR
Good question, it is a trijicon scope. I own one personally but haven’t used it enough to say one way or the other, my credos are solid so far I do know that