Help needed on tipi size!

Coxen02

FNG
Hi all, I’m looking for some input for my first tipi style shelter! My main concern right now is which size will be best suited for my needs. I’m wanting to stay as light as I can, but will go up in size if it’s really needed.

What I’m wanting is something big enough for two guys about 6’ tall each, with packs and rifles also inside the shelter. I’m not super concerned about having a stove inside too at this time. Just because for the hunts I usually do, I’ve never had one I haven’t felt like a really need one.

My considerations right now are the argali Rincon as my minimalist approach, seek outside guardian for a slightly bigger minimalist. And then also looking at the absaroka or cimarron if I just need to get something a little bigger.

Also, I’m aware the bigger options don’t come at much weight penalty. I worry about how hard it will be to find a spot to pitch them in steep country. For anyone that has used 4p tipis a lot, is it actually an issue? Also space taken up in pack is a consideration as well.

Sorry if this is jumbled and long, I really appreciate anyone that has input they want to share. Thank you!

rayporter

WKR
build a mock up of the size you are contemplating. use some pegs and string around a post or pole. it will give you a good idea of size.

a six man would be a good choice.

BDRam16

WKR
My hunting partner and I are both 5’8”ish and I have the Rincon. It’s definitely a cozy fit for two with gear. The only issue with a tipi is you lose a ton of usable floor space near the sides. You would have to sleep side by side on either side of the pole and stash gear up against the wall. If you sleep closer to the side condensation would probably be an issue. It’s doable but I would say it will be tight.

What I have noticed is the tighter the shelter the more organized you need to be ahead of time. If you have to pull everything out of your pack to get something it’s going to be rough. But if you’re squared away and can just toss your pack in the corner and get to sleep it won’t be an issue.

OP
Coxen02

Coxen02

FNG
build a mock up of the size you are contemplating. use some pegs and string around a post or pole. it will give you a good idea of size.

a six man would be a good choice.
That’s a great idea, I’ll do that

OP
Coxen02

Coxen02

FNG
My hunting partner and I are both 5’8”ish and I have the Rincon. It’s definitely a cozy fit for two with gear. The only issue with a tipi is you lose a ton of usable floor space near the sides. You would have to sleep side by side on either side of the pole and stash gear up against the wall. If you sleep closer to the side condensation would probably be an issue. It’s doable but I would say it will be tight.

What I have noticed is the tighter the shelter the more organized you need to be ahead of time. If you have to pull everything out of your pack to get something it’s going to be rough. But if you’re squared away and can just toss your pack in the corner and get to sleep it won’t be an issue.
Good info, thank you. I love the idea of the weight and overall footprint on the Rincon but more space would be nice. Tough decisions as always with gear

Mcnasty

FNG
I have black diamond mega light that I am super happy with for 2 and gear. I run a kabatic bivi with my pad and bag inside so it is wash to deploy and stays clean. I am 5ft 9. Newer version is lighter and has more guy out points. if you are doing the recommended above measuring test, keep in mind that When the wether is bad and it’s buttoned up tight to the ground you loose usable space vs when it’s a few inches off the deck. This also significantly changed the air flow and condensation inside the shelter

BDRam16

WKR
Good info, thank you. I love the idea of the weight and overall footprint on the Rincon but more space would be nice. Tough decisions as always with gear
The photo on the Argali website makes it look alot more roomy than it feels on the inside lol. But after a long day hunting I’m usually out in a few minutes anyways so it’s not a huge deal.

C77BFCE2-77E8-4AC1-97D8-346330583A9C.jpeg

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Cimmaron for myself while hunting. Primarily due to it serving as a shelter when going out with the kids as well during the summer. It’s a palace for me and would be ideal for 2 with gear while hunting. I can’t picture having 2 guys in one of the typical 2 man tents when there are better options. Size wise is negligible compared to the smaller units and it provides a much more comfortable space. The only downside is the footprint requires me to have to be a little more picky on site selection. I believe that this wouldn’t be much different with even the 2 man tepees.

OP
Coxen02

Coxen02

FNG
Thinking I may just get a 4p tipi for this year since I’ll have someone in it with me for all my hunts. Leaning towards the argali but will do more comparing. I’ll probably get a 1p before next year to have as a minimalist option.

Thank you all for the help! Feel free to throw in any more thoughts on 4p tipi’s, cimarron vs absaroka, or the original topic in general. Any info is always appreciated

wyosteve

WKR
I recently had my first opportunity to stay in a tipi and I hope I don’t have to do it again very soon. Don’t know the exact size but the center post was about 10 feet tall, so obviously a ‘bigger’ tipi. We had three of us in it and would not have wanted more, especially with gear. Was fairly breezy one day and the damn thing was noisy as all get out. Plus the wind blew in the bottom since there was no floor or sod cloth. Give me a wall tent any day!