Help with Kuiu setup for September elk hunt

Going through my gear for next year early season elk. Want to focus on packing what I’ll actually need and not lugging around extra weight that doesn’t make sense to carry. I have a ton of clothing from various manufacturers, but most of it serves identical roles. So I’m looking to start fresh and create a great versatile load out for September Montana or Wyoming elk hunt.

I overheat and sweat easily, but also freeze quickly, so I am aware I need to swap out pieces frequently as the day progresses. This info might be helpful in recommendations. I currently have quite a bit of Kuiu, so looking for recommendations in that.

Base layer:
I have the 145’s, but those can be too warm at 70 plus and moving. I see a lot of people recommend the 125’s for early elk, how do they hold up being lighter weight?

Any other options I should look into for base layers?

Mid layers:
This is where I struggle the most. Since I get chilled easily, I’m always looking for the perfect mid layer

Rain:
From what I’ve read on here, usually just passing thunderstorms early season, so it’s been recommended to get ultralight rain gear to keep in the pack. I’m also interested on if the Kutana rain gear is a good investment, or is it better to grab some lower price ultralight packable rain set?

Puffy:
Which Kuiu puffy set is recommended out of the 2 they have?

Soft shell jacket:
I have the Axis hybrid and the guide DCS, but I read a lot that a soft shell really isn’t needed, especially if you have a good mid/outer layer and a rain shell. What’s the thoughts on that?

Vest:
I like vests, but do not know which of the Kuiu vests would fit this system the best. It’s hard to get an idea how it performs without feeling it.

Pants:
I have the Kutana and the Axis hybrid. Looking at getting the Attacks as well. The Axis are definitely too hot for me at 60 plus and walking. That’s why I picked up the Kutana pair a few weeks ago. My buddy has the attacks and loves his, but I was worried they still might be too hot for early season for me.

Socks and boots:
What weight merino socks and boot rating for this time of year? I have Danner Pronghorns and last years mule deer hunt was 60-70, and my feet roasted in a light/mid weight merino sock. This year our mule deer hunt was 20-30 and my feet froze in a heavy weight merino wool sock.

Better boot recommendations than danner pronghorns?

Packs: I went with the Kuiu pack system. I got the 2300 pro bag for quick hunts, and the LT5500 for longer runs out of base camp.

Spike tent:
I just started researching these. My friend has his heart set on the SO Cimmaron. I think that looks like a good choice as well, any other recommendations I should look into?

Sleeping system:
I just started looking into these as well. Bag or quilt? What temp rating for early archery? Down or synthetic?

I’ll be setting up a base camp from the truck heading out with the option to spike if we get on animals. So I can bring more stuff to keep in the truck. We will have 4 guys, so we won’t be able to pack our full hunting closets though. I’m looking for info on what to keep on me and in my pack daily. Emergency stuff back at the truck.

I’ll keep engaged with this thread, as my hunting buddies are looking for these answers as well

Thanks!

Ben

Bump79

WKR
What's your budget? Exclusively Kuiu or are you open to other options? Are you exclusively a western hunter or are these one of trips?

Baselayer: I like 150 weight merino BUT I don't sweat much. In my opinion you need a synthetic if you're sweater.

Mid Layer: Peloton 200 is the bomb. My favorite peice I own.

Softshell: Nice for your style of hunting. Softshells just aren't ideal for backpacking. I don't see any reason to change.

Vests: I have always liked the idea of a vest... but never found myself wearing them.

Bag: REI Magma is great for the money and can be found for sale up to half off.

Boots: I'm a huge Salwea fan these days. Vary stiffness based on your typical terrain and style. Gohunt shop has an awesome stiffness feature

OP
R
What's your budget? Exclusively Kuiu or are you open to other options? Are you exclusively a western hunter or are these one of trips?

Baselayer: I like 150 weight merino BUT I don't sweat much. In my opinion you need a synthetic if you're sweater.

Mid Layer: Peloton 200 is the bomb. My favorite peice I own.

Softshell: Nice for your style of hunting. Softshells just aren't ideal for backpacking. I don't see any reason to change.

Vests: I have always liked the idea of a vest... but never found myself wearing them.

Bag: REI Magma is great for the money and can be found for sale up to half off.

Boots: I'm a huge Salwea fan these days. Vary stiffness based on your typical terrain and style. Gohunt shop has an awesome stiffness feature
I don’t have a budget. I’m in the camp “buy once cry once”, so I will gladly pay more for better quality especially if it fits the purpose well.

I am open to other brands that out perform Kuiu in various areas.

I am from Wisconsin, so unfortunately I don’t get to exclusively hunt the west (although I’m trying to convince the wife we need to move!) However we do spend a lot of time out west hiking and fishing the mountains in the fall, and now I’m starting to get more freedom to go on more western hunts.

I do have the Peloton 200, but haven’t tried it out yet. I have seen it recommended several times.

Thanks for the help

Legs
Run the Kutana pants. I wear mine from the mid 20s to over 115.
Pick up Peloton 97 bottoms for additional warmth when stopped.

Torso
Wear 145 Merino shirt (odor control).
Grab a Peloton LS zip. More durable than merino.
Grab a StrongFleece 260 for a mid layer.
Grab a down jacket for insulation. Would go Pro over Ultra for better coverage. Would look for options beyond Kuiu.
Take a hard pass on a vest.
Take a hard pass on a soft shell.

Rain Gear
Chugach. Great for rain and snow and can be used to block the wind.

Look for items that can be used both “out west” as well as back home.

I wear first lite wick base, peloton 240 hoodie, Eddie Bauer puffy, kuiu attacks or guides, darn tough extra cushion socks, Solomon gtx4 boots, first lite underwear , first lite merino beanie, or gaiters. Hopefully this helps. I’m still searching for good rain gear. I got a quilt and hate it, every time I roll over it lets in cold air. Best wishes and do yourself a favor and don’t over think it. Kuiu is nice but you probably have gear that will work just fine.

OP
R
Legs

Torso
Grab a down jacket for insulation. Would go Pro over Ultra for better coverage. Would look for options beyond Kuiu.

Rain Gear

I looked at Chugach too. I’ll put that back on my radar.

I was strongly leaning towards getting the SF 260, so I’m glad to see it recommended.

OP
R
I wear first lite wick base, peloton 240 hoodie, Eddie Bauer puffy, kuiu attacks or guides, darn tough extra cushion socks, Solomon gtx4 boots, first lite underwear , first lite merino beanie, or gaiters. Hopefully this helps. I’m still searching for good rain gear. I got a quilt and hate it, every time I roll over it lets in cold air. Best wishes and do yourself a favor and don’t over think it. Kuiu is nice but you probably have gear that will work just fine.
I’m pretty sure I have almost everything I need. I just want to see what everybody be else is using so I can get a good idea on how I should put my gear together. I’m actually a bit confused on which pieces work together the best and what situations they should be used in.

Also, it’s nice seeing people give out recommendations of gear they deem “must have” on every trip.

I only mentioned Kuiu, as I do have quite a bit of it, and there is a good chance someone recommends gear I already have. I’ll use any brand, that fits the use the best.

Thanks

If your speaking strictly about the month of September, this is what I run:

Merino 125 or peloton base layers
Kuiu Kenai puffy/peloton 240 for mid/outer layer
Kuiu attack pant is my favorite by far, very versatile I have three pairs. For early archery I also wear the tiburon pant.

In my experience, most people that say soft shells don’t belong in a system typically hunt open country. I hunt dense timber in Idaho and if I were to be actively hunting in a puffy, I would rip it on alders (and have). This is where soft shells come into system.

When I killed my bull during rifle season this year, I had a merino base layer, the kenai puffy as a mid layer, and my peloton 240 as an outer. I also had on my Kuiu guide pants. It was 30 degrees and snowing and I was perfectly warm while still hunting through the timber. Hope this helps!

If your speaking strictly about the month of September, this is what I run:

Merino 125 or peloton base layers
Kuiu Kenai puffy/peloton 240 for mid/outer layer
Kuiu attack pant is my favorite by far, very versatile I have three pairs. For early archery I also wear the tiburon pant.

In my experience, most people that say soft shells don’t belong in a system typically hunt open country. I hunt dense timber in Idaho and if I were to be actively hunting in a puffy, I would rip it on alders (and have). This is where soft shells come into system.

When I killed my bull during rifle season this year, I had a merino base layer, the kenai puffy as a mid layer, and my peloton 240 as an outer. I also had on my Kuiu guide pants. It was 30 degrees and snowing and I was perfectly warm while still hunting through the timber. Hope this helps!
Forgot about the Peloton 240. Pretty durable and is great at blocking wind.

I would say the peloton 240 is a MUST have in every hunters system. It is by far my favorite piece from Kuiu. Extremely durable, weight to warmth ratio is incredible, and it’s very quiet for archery. It’s an outstanding piece of clothing for hunting.

OP
R
I was just reading other posts about the 240 being a great layer. I am looking into that now.

OP
R
I have the Kutana Hybrid 3DeFX jacket, which I see is no longer on the website. I’m assuming it was replaced by another jacket in their lineup. Does anyone know, which jacket replaced the Kutana hybrid 3DeFX?

Bump79

WKR
I don’t have a budget. I’m in the camp “buy once cry once”, so I will gladly pay more for better quality especially if it fits the purpose well.

I am open to other brands that out perform Kuiu in various areas.

I am from Wisconsin, so unfortunately I don’t get to exclusively hunt the west (although I’m trying to convince the wife we need to move!) However we do spend a lot of time out west hiking and fishing the mountains in the fall, and now I’m starting to get more freedom to go on more western hunts.

I do have the Peloton 200, but haven’t tried it out yet. I have seen it recommended several times.

Thanks for the help
Of course! Kuiu stuff is great. However, in my opinion each brand has it's peices that outperform others.

I belong in the group.. don't cry at all. I like bang for my buck and that allows me to hunt more. Which is the goal right? I've had very expensive peices of gear/clothing that I've been extremely disappointed in and $50 puffys (Eddie Bauer or Gerry), $40 Pants (OR Ferrosi, Wrangler ATG), and $50 merino (Black Ovis) that has blown me away.

Buy once cry once applies to Optics, Shelters and Packs in my opinion. Clothing not so much.

For what it's worth... I've hunted Montana and Wyoming my whole lift and clothing is only .001% of the puzzle. Don't put to much weight and thought in it.

Rain gear is hit or miss but likely it won't rain much in September. I love my Chugach but I got away without it for many years. Down jackets in September for example are in my pack if the weather makes it needed but I rarely actually wear it. If I was glassing for Mule Deer in the high country I wear it more. Not so much for elk.

Lastly, camo for elk isn't all that critical in my experience. Solid prices seems to work fine when calling bulls in. You're playing offense, not defense. Seems like you screw up or get winded before camo busts you.

Last edited:
OP
R
Of course! Kuiu stuff is great. However, in my opinion each brand has it's peices that outperform others.

I belong in the group.. don't cry at all. I like bang for my buck and that allows me to hunt more.. I've had very expensive peices of gear/clothing that I've been extremely disappointed in and $50 puffys that I'm extremely happy with (Eddie Bauer or Gerry).

Buy once cry once applies to Optics, Shelters and Packs in my opinion. Clothing not so clothing
Good point on clothes not always requiring big dollars. I’m all ears for solid performing pieces that cost less.

90% of the time in September I’m only wearing Attack pants and the lightest weight long sleeved merino there is (smart wool).

I have the 145 merino zip off base layer bottoms, but I really only wear them in camp in the mornings. As soon as I start hiking they come off at the first break and I don’t put them on again. I could do without them but haven‘t yet as I’m always wary of a freak cold snap. It dumped about a foot of snow the week before we got there last year.

I like the Kenai puffy as you can actually move in it without overheating, which is nice when you’re calling or slipping through the timber slowly.

I have the Ultra NX rain jacket and Teton rain pants. I’ve never worn them on an elk hunt that I can remember. Could probably do without them but it’s basically an insurance policy.

The only other real piece of clothing a take is a north face micro fleece type pull over. I’ve never needed to wear it in addition to my puffy, but I wear it traveling anyways so I usually pack it in.

I also carry a beanie and light gloves which I’ve used when glassing first thing in the morning, but thats about it.

You really don’t need a bunch of clothes in September

Legs

Torso

Rain Gear

This is pretty much spot on. I’d emphasize on the Pro over the Ultra down jacket as well (warmer and quieter). I’d also consider the Peloton 240 jacket as a mid layer.

wnelson14

WKR
I really like a merino Short sleeve, Kuiu Peloton 97 with a hood and a FL ridge line,

Back up long sleeve Merino, FL Klamath or Kuiu Strong fleece ,& Puffy in the pack, maybe a rain jacket.

Peloton 97, & FL ridgeline are almost weightless and dry very fast.

Here's my system that I'm happy with for the most part:

Tops:
1. Ultra 125 LS. Where I hunt it gets hot during the day and I couldn't imagine wearing anything heavier.
2. Peloton 97 hoodie. Weighs next to nothing. This plus the 125 is usually enough if I'm moving around before sunrise. That said, I run hot. It's also stupid durable for brush busting. My 125 had several holes that the wife patched up this season, but my 97 had maybe one. This is my favorite piece Kuiu makes.
3. Puffy Jacket of some sort. I ran the second gen version of the Kenai last year and found that the shoulders were a touch too tight. I hear the new one is better, but I just snagged a FL Unspellable 2.0 during their 30% off sale, which fits great.
4. Rain shell. I have the older Chugach because I got a deal on it. I use this primarily if I find myself glassing on a really windy/nasty ridge to help cut the wind. If it gets stupid cold, that's where I'll bust out my quilt too to help hunker down.

Bottoms:
1. Cheap ass UA boxers (look for deals on UA's outlet site). Honestly, these were a God send this season where it was unseasonably warm. Kept my man bits dry and free of chaffing.
2. Prana Zion pants. I've gone through a bunch of different offerings in terms of pants and settled on these. Kuiu pants tend to fit poorly (put my junk in a vice).
3. Cheap ass UA leggings (cold gear). Had these forever, they weigh next to nothing and they are there primarily for emergency purposes. Those of you that hunted in CO in 2020 know what I'm talking about with the random early snow storm.

I have removed rain pants from the system since there seem to be two kinds of storms I've run into. The first is a stupid 10 minute long downpour, where you might not have time to throw on your pants. The second is a storm so bad you're finding shelter anyways. It also helps that the Prana Zions dry pretty fast, so I've been OK with them + the Kutana gaiters.

jlively

Lil-Rokslider
Legs

Torso

Rain Gear

Curious about why the pass on softshell? I bought the axis jacket for my first elk hunt kit this year. I could still return it and go a different route.
TIA

Curious about why the pass on softshell? I bought the axis jacket for my first elk hunt kit this year. I could still return it and go a different route.
TIA
Not my post, but I typically don’t run a soft shell in archery. My Chugach will work as a shell if needed.