Hernia surgery

Well after discovering I had a hernia during archery season (and less than a week before my Alaska moose hunt which I still went on :cool:) I finally had surgery this past Friday. Post surgery I discovered I had a double hernia which they took care of both. Now I'm going out of my mind sitting at home. I've been getting up to walk all weekend but I can't do jack beyond that for a while now. I'll just live vicariously through you guys on here for a bit.

I was planning on the Train to Hunt competition in June at Cedar River Bowmen. I'll see how far back this sets me for getting in shape for that. If all goes well I've got three weeks at home followed by three weeks of light duty at work. I'm already going bonkers.

Last edited:

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
I was turkey hunting 2 weeks after mine, but then again Im not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I just has a single.

had a double the old fashioned way in 1999 . was off work month[locomotive engineer[ but honestly was a year to feel somewhat normal. one of the boys got twisted and took awhile to untwist, was ready to go after him with a knife, honestly. my son is going to mayo later this month for a double, he is college prof , and will be off a month or so too. good luck on your recovery.

rayporter

WKR
at least they fixed you up.

doc told me last month they cant help my back. sent me to therapy and its a joke. luck to ya -ray

swampfox-mmmmmm the the longer i think about that .........

Jens

FNG
I had a double this past july. I was able to go on an elk hunt in september. I did lots of walking for six weeks and then normal training albeit scaled back a bit. It is only in the last month or so that i can deadlift and hit my driver without any discomfort. Good luck to ya.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
I had a single repaired the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend this year and ended up doing a warrior dash the first weekend in August with my wife because her race partner bailed on her, and I hadn't done any training/hitting the gym beforehand at all. I was apprehensive, didn't know what to expect, but actually did a lot better than I thought I would have. I don't recall having any issues during the race, and since then the only problem I've encountered has been the occasional bout of discomfort from some of the scar tissue "settling" or getting broken up.

Your physical condition before the surgery is either your greatest limiting factor or your greatest asset - I was regularly going to the gym, running, etc before my surgery, and I was walking around, going outside to play with the dog the day afterwards, and I think I played my first full round of golf about a week and a half later. I was also definitely able to lift more than the recommended 10 lbs or whatever it was within the first week. I didn't start really hitting the gym again until the doctor gave me the go-ahead at the end of August, but I only waited that long because I couldn't get an earlier appointment.

You'll know what you can or can't do; listen to your body, if it's telling you not to do something, stop, and don't try to jump back into anything all at once.

OP
WonkyWapiti
They sent me home with oxycodone and 600mg of Ibuprofen. I never touched the oxycodone and quit using the Ibuprofen yesterday. I've been feeling pretty good but have been trying to take it easy. I've just been doing alot of walking. I think my dog is going crazier than I am, he really wants to go to work.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
They sent me home with oxycodone and 600mg of Ibuprofen. I never touched the oxycodone and quit using the Ibuprofen yesterday.

Good work - I never got my prescription filled after the surgery and I don't remember taking anything for the pain afterwards either. Narcotics/drugs/medications in general scare me to death and I want as little to do with them as possible. In all honesty, I didn't think the pain was very "painful" anyway, I found it to be more discomfort unless I moved the wrong way or something and then I got a shot that went right through me.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Don't over do it or you will regret it later. Follow what the doctor said and you will be happier in the long run. Last thing you want to do at this point is to injure what was repaired. If you do what you are supposed to, you will be surprised on how fast you recover, especially if you were in decent shape before then. I had an easy one that my total recovery time was less than a month and that was due to followed the doctor's orders otherwise I could have pushed it faster. Meds are there sometimes so you don't injure yourself and so many people can rest and recover. Can't stand the prescription pain killers and don't take unless absolutely necesary.

IrishnId

WKR
Just had an umbilical hernia repaired this week. Sitting around is driving me crazy. I can walk for a little but but then my stitch area starts aching. Wasn't in great shape before, but xfitted every other week when I was home. I work on the road for 8 days and have seven days off. Can't wait to start doing things again. Major life and goal changer for me. Plan on dropping 30 lbs at least preferably 40. Little worried on lifting again though. Maybe more cardio with a lot less weight.