Hero Shot Tips and Tricks

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Over the course of the season I have seen some pictures show up in my news feed and instagram that have not done justice to a quality hero shot picture. One in particular shows a very good mule deer with a mangled rear end from botched shot. The quality/viewability of the picture is great, and it showcases the animals headgear very well. The problem with the picture is that there is a mangled leg on one side of the picture, and frankly this is the type of picture that can do damage to many people's perceptions of hunting.

None of us like to make a bad shot, and truthfully it makes me sick to think about a couple poor shots that I made which hit the animal but didn't tip it over. In 2011 I didn't lead the deer in my Avatar enough and I hit him in the right rear quarter. The shot would have killed him, but not in the efficient manner that it should have. My partner and I found him in the bottom of the basin, very much alive but unable to go any further. I had broken the rear leg and the bullet had traveled into his vitals with my .300 Wby Mag and I wish it would have dropped him on the first shot. I dispatched him a little later with a kill shot through the lungs at close range so as not to destroy any more meat.

We made a lot of effort to make sure that the mangled rear leg was not in the picture. I didn't think it was fair to remember him that way, or to expose the people viewing my blog/threads to that.

I know that blood, butchering, and field care is messy business. A poor shot will happen, and there will be some that we aren't proud of. But I also believe that in our pictures we should do our best to represent the animal and our activity to the best of our ability. Especially in our day and age where the media is huge, everyone all over the globe can see our pictures. After a really bad shot this may mean not posting a few pictures and just keeping them for ourselves at moments. Or it may mean moving the animal to a position that will give it a better reflection.

So, here are my field/hero shot rules to live by:

1. Always look for the best way to present the animal. This may mean moving it from the spot where it dropped, a hero shot with a pool of the animals blood isn't a great shot.
2. The less blood the better(sometimes this is the most difficult).
3. Put the tongue back in it's mouth.
4. Crop the pictures if there is no way to avoid a bad shot.
5. Do your best to be a good photographer, we all love the hero shots and getting to look at the trophies! The better you are at taking quality pictures the better it is for everyone involved.

Please add any tips and tricks you use to get great field photos, especially ones that reflect on the animal well!

Im 0 for 5 on your little list there. But the picture has never been my strong suit or top priority. I get pics of my kills for me to enjoy, if others don't oh well. I've never under stood taking great lengths to not offend someone. That may be a some what over obvious statement coming from me though

To me it's not a matter of offending someone. The Anti hunters will be against us no matter how good of pictures we take.

The majority of the American public isn't anti hunting though, however it is very easy to turn them off with grotesque pictures. Show the rough pictures to a little girl who might be interested in hunting and there is a chance that you might lose her forever. My wife is an example of that, she is softening with time, but when we don't do a good job presenting what we do, well we can lose interest from future hunters.

I take great pics not to make sure I don't offend someone but because I love how a good pic looks. It doesn't have to have a huge scenic background to be magazine quality. A good site to look at for poses and ideas is Hadley creek. They only shoot deer but you can get a good idea for hunter positioning and backdrops. Typically if it's an antlered animal I will observe it for an idea of best angle to show off antlers. Clean it up best you can I usually carry extra water and toilet paper to wipe off blood. I almost always use a flash to fill hat shadows and try to position the sun behind the camera if possible or if it's light out. Also don't zoom in too much you can always crop later but you can't add what you cut out of the original. Those are the basics I use the rest are fine details. Good luck everyone. Below are a few examples of what I try to capture...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 173
The last few years I have taken the time to try and get a nice picture of my harvest. Its not about offending anyone but more about presenting the harvest in its best light with a big ass smile on my face that me and my family & friends can look at and maybe laugh at later. I have found by taking my time now I enjoy remembering the hunt more.

I've seen plenty of hero shots that offend me. I took plenty in my early days. If you're going to do a crappy job why bother? A good pic shows respect for the hunt, the critter and yourself. When I'm in the old folks home I want a big photo album of good pictures to look at not a bunch of crap.

You don't think long after the old man is gone I won't look at this pic and smile?

The old man grumbled when I made him help me drag this buck to the top of the hill but the picture came out nicely and HE likes it.

Great tips. LIke someone previously said, photos of the animals have different priorities for different people. For me, it's part of the memory of the hunt.

A couple things I've learned.

First and foremost, if it's sunny out, USE A FLASH! Even it it's just the flash on your phone, use something. It does a great job of filling in the dark spot underneath the brim of a hat.

Use soft dirt to run on blood stains. It gives them a 'dirty' look instead of blood.

Remove vegetation and/or rocks from in front of the animal if possible.

Clear out background clutter: packs, hats, knives, etc.

Take an extra five minutes to get more than enough photos. Those few minutes will likely be the only time you can take field photos, which are always better then back of the truck photos.

My Dad...South Africa 2011:

2011-04-29%20at%2001-25-57-XL.jpg

The biggest thing about using a flash is to find the "sweet spot" distance wise. Some camera's allow you to adjust the flash brightness, but most don't. If it looks like your flash is too much, back up a couple of feet and zoom in a bit.

I usually snap 100+ pictures, with many of them being very similar, except varying the flash brightness. A variety if angles and poses are also great, just because it can capture things you may not realize at the time. With today's digital cameras, you can snap 100+ photos in 10 minutes.

I tend to cut the tongue off so that it isn't flopping out half way through pictures. It can ruin the best set ups.

Clear every bit of grass and brush away from in front of the animal.

If you've got a nasty entry or exit hole in the front half, use a pack, binoculars, bow, or other instrumental gear to hide gaping holes.

Good field photos are something I like to take pride in, and always want to improve on.

Always use a flash ! no matter what the day light or lack of !! Clean up as much blood as possible. Cut or always put the animals toung back in its mouth.. And most of all always get low!

Pictures are more important to me than the mount itself. I didn't even attempt to fly these caribou antlers home with me this fall, but this picture will last forever regardless where those antlers end up.

P8040295.jpg

And a few more for good measure...

Kentucky Whitetail 2010
IMG_0017.jpg

Alaska Sitka Blacktail 2009
IMG_0536.jpg

Alaska Sitka Blacktail 2009
100_1668.jpg

As for tips: Always Use a Flash. Always clear the foreground. Always look for a good backdrop. Never place the sun directly in the front or back of a picture when it is out and very bright. Try and incorporate something that indicates the region the hunt is in (Mtns in Alaska, Cactus in Arizona, Rocky Cliffs in Mtn Goat pics, etc). Try and clean the animal but don't forget blood can be touched up afterwards.

I'm like Littlebuf . I take pictures to please me and that means au natural. My favorites are ones of how I find the animal. I love pictures of how it looks from the spot you spot it and as the animal is revealed as you come closer. My favorite shots usually don't have me in it. The well crafted hero shots leave me cold and seem pretentious. Tongues hanging out and blood are just plain real to me . For me the mount is the more stylized memory aid but the real life photos really capture the feelings for me..

Back