Highcamp or EMR II strategies

idig4au

WKR
I just returned back from trialing my new Kifaru HC 7k bag with Bikini frame on a 10 day hunt down in Mexico. This is my first Kifaru backpack. Its a great pack and the suspension is amazing! I'm sold on it and just need to get it dialed in for my needs. I'm trying to get to the point where I can use one backpack system from minimalist day hunts to 12 day backpack sheep hunts in the high country in addition to be able to use it as a carry on while flying with minimal gear inside (optics and a change of traveling clothes). I'm getting close!

I did experience one difficulty with it which was lashing my rifle to the pack when the main bag was mainly empty. I couldn't get it strapped down tight enough where it wouldn't flop around when the main bag was empty. I was just using a medium pocket on the side for the rifle stock and the side compression straps. I would be interested in knowing what strategies or modifications you guys use to get around this. Or maybe I was just doing something wrong? Did you guys swap out the k-connectors with quick detach buckles for the straps using to hold the rifle in place?

Please don't recommend just using a Kifaru gun bearer! While this would resolve the issue, I tried it and just couldn't get used to it. I'm sure its a great product, but its just not for me! I'm more of a strap the gun to the bag itself kind of guy.

I'm still considering the EMRII bag as I think the batwings as well as pockets on the bag itself would be pretty handy. With my HC bag, I just found myself throwing everything into my long hunter lit. The HC bag might be just a bit too minimalist for me. I need to spend some more time with it to see. The EMRII might be worth the weight penalty over the HC with the assorted pockets. By the time you add a long pocket for the spotting scope and other pockets to the HC bag, you might actually be approaching the same weight of the EMRII bag. But I'm also concerned about the rifle issue on an empty EMRII bag.

It also might be handy to be able to strap the rifle to the back of the bag. This would center the weight, especially if you are not carrying too much in the main bag. My guides in Mexico were using the Sitka 45 Bivy packs and its gun strapping system looked pretty good. Not sure if this strategy (center of main bag) would work on the Kifaru bags, either HC or EMRII?

Thoughts?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The Nomad was designed to carry a rifle down the center. It would also work well for a carry on. Then you can add the center bag when you need more space for those longer trips. It may be just what you're looking for.

lintond

WKR
Have you considered the Nomad + HC combo? This would allow you to use the HC for gear and pack in, then drop it and run the nomad for day gear? This is my plan except I'm not using the HC bag. I wanted the center zip otherwise I would of bought the HC bag.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
You said a 10 day hunt. Was the hunt out of the pack? If you are going to use it on an actual 10 day backpack hunt I would use the EMR 2 over a highcamp. If most of your hunts are like mine, 3-5 days. I would look hard at the Nomad, especially if your using it to pack a rifle in a somewhat empty pack.

You've got a great pack, I have the high camp 4800. If you have the Hanging meat bag, which I assume in daypack mode is in the bottom of your pack. Take the two black lashing straps with the k connectors and lash your gun to the frame instead of your bag. Use the black loops that are on your frame, that will lash your rifle tight against the bag and frame.Good luck

trk3263

WKR
I have removed all of these (K-Connectors) on my compression traps
buryre2a.jpg

And replaced them with G-Hook Wavesloc (The wave makes it so the stap doesn't slip.) It drops about 2-3" on both sides

qumemune.jpg

This gives me a bunch more compression in the Daypack or empty pack mode and have not had any problems with them coming loose. But make sure you get the G-Hooks with the wave in them because I almost bought the wrong ones.

Here is the cheapest ones I found: http://www.hrknives.com/itw887cb-itw-g-hook-waveloc/

Last edited:
OP
idig4au

idig4au

WKR
You said a 10 day hunt. Was the hunt out of the pack? If you are going to use it on an actual 10 day backpack hunt I would use the EMR 2 over a highcamp. If most of your hunts are like mine, 3-5 days. I would look hard at the Nomad, especially if your using it to pack a rifle in a somewhat empty pack.

Yes, I've done 10 day trips out of the backpack before, and have a 12 day backpack sheep hunt in NWT booked for this September :). Lately, most of my hunts have been packing in, setting up camp and then hunting from there with 2 or so days of supplies, and then moving camp as required. So I prefer a bigger pack. I've been using the Barney's pack, but looking at lightening up my pack for the day hunts climbing up the mountains looking for sheep and etc. Barney's is a great pack, but I just don't like the 8 or 9 lb empty weight and it takes up a lot of room in my checked luggage which means I usually have to check another bag at the airport for some of these longer hunts.

The EMRII has me intrigued...I wish I knew it was coming out as I ordered the HC late last year! That is still a great bag too.

OP
idig4au

idig4au

WKR
You've got a great pack, I have the high camp 4800. If you have the Hanging meat bag, which I assume in daypack mode is in the bottom of your pack. Take the two black lashing straps with the k connectors and lash your gun to the frame instead of your bag. Use the black loops that are on your frame, that will lash your rifle tight against the bag and frame.Good luck

Good idea, I will have to try this! Thanks