Hiker style boot

Jdtidmore

FNG
I’m looking for opinions on some options for a good style boot. Most of my hunting is done in flatter prairie country and not under a heavy pack. I own a pair of Crispi Altitudes but I’ve found I don’t love the stiffer soles when not in rocky terrain. Open to suggestions, the only one I’ve really had experience with is the Keen Targhee

No.15

FNG
I'm using the meindl comfort hiker right now. They don't seem overly stiff to me.

I have about 30 miles on them so take it fwiw

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
For basic hiking boots, I have a lot of miles on my Salomon Quest 4d's.

If you want something truely flexible and lightweight, check out the Vivobarefoot Forest Tracker ESC. I wear zero drop shoes every day so I was already used to minimalist footwear. The Tracker ESC has a thin sole so on rockier routes I've gotten fairly footsore when the pack weight and mileage are high. But for what you are describing they might be perfect.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
Waterproofing is a tricky thing. The Salomons and many other light hikers with fabric aren't the best at keeping water out. Once the waterproofing breaks down, the Gore-Tex membrane can actually work against you because it takes longer for the boots to dry out. I am going to re-treat my Salomons with Nikwax before elk season. When they are at their best they will keep water out for a time, but all day exposure to rain, soaked grass & brush, stream crossings, etc usually results in wet feet by the end of the day.

Crispi Summit GTX boots are very comfortable and light weight, great all around upland/biggame hunting boot and you already know your size in Crispi.

If you are going to be in rocky terrain I would go with the Han Wag Alverstone 2 because they are still pretty light and flexible but are much more durable due to their full rubber rand.

As always boots are a personal preference and everyone's foot is different, what has worked for me may not work for you.

hiker270

WKR
I wear Scarpa hikers and Merrell. Have owned many different hikers over the years and one thing I have learned is just because they are expensive don't mean they fit your feet. Try them on with the socks you plan to wear and do some walking around the store. If you decide to order them make sure you get a rock solid return policy.

TN VOL

FNG
How is the waterproofing on the Salomon’s?
I love Salomon shoes and hiking boots and I wear them everyday for work and on casual hikes, Going hunting is entirely different. If there's even heavy dew I know my feet will be wet in Salomons. I have worn the quest 4Ds and various other models. For hunting a have tried them all. My feet like the Lowas and Schnee's Beartooths the best. For hunting flat ground I would try the Schnee's Timberlines. There's lots of great brands, it's just finding which one fit your feet the best.

PNWGATOR

WKR
This boot is the answer if it fits:

RCB

WKR
I have yet to find a heavy, stiff mountaineering style boot that I like. The majority of my time hunting, I wear Merrell Moabs. They are light, flexible and cheap. This is a popular shoe that lots of people just wear around town here in CO. But to be honest I have never found myself wishing for something more while hunting. I don’t even think about my feet when I’m out there, which is how it should be. Whereas I have certainly wished for something else while hunting in heavier, stiffer boots. I’ve regretted the loss of comfort, agility and ground-feel (for lack of a better term) that comes with that style of footwear. Granted I perhaps don’t hunt the most extreme terrain, but I do spend plenty of time in the mountains looking for deer and elk.
This isn’t a plug for that shoe in particular. Just encouraging your interest in a lighter shoe.

I've had good luck with Vasque Sky Walk's and an ancient pair of Keen's that still do a pretty good job of keeping water out after quite a few years of use.