Hilleberg Yellow vs Red Label

Thoughts on yellow vs red label for a early August sheep hunt in Northern BC? Like the weight of the yellow but don't want to make a mistake on the purchase

I used a Niak last year in the Wrangells and will use it again this year. I have total confidence in that tent for August in AK. Curious to see what other folks have to say tho

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Early August I wouldn't sweat using a yellow label. The Niak is one of my favourite tents. When my girlfriend tags along hunting we take our Anjan 2 gt. I have weathered some serious storms in both of those tents. I also used to own an Allak, and I've used a Nallo 2 gt. The Allak was more tent than I needed, and used the Nallo for guiding one season. Hilleberg's always make me think that overkill is severely underrated.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a red label and it’s closer to a 4 season mountaineering tent than I expected. It’s heavy. I wish I’d gone with a similar free standing yellow label model.

Mansfield Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Anyone interested in a Hilleberg tent should consider a look at Tentipi as well before making a final decision. Both are legendary Swedish tent makers known for making extremely high-quality tents.

Hilleberg and Tentipi are competitors for sure, but friendly ones, using many of the same materials etc. The primary difference? Helle believes in their tunnel shape while Tentipi believes the tipi shape offers better wind stability and better headroom inside.

As this forum’s sponsor, Mansfield Outdoors offers the full range of Tentipi Adventure Products and we encourage anyone looking at a Hilleberg to compare with their Swedish neighbor Tentipi as well. Take a look at them here - https://www.mansfieldoutdoors.com/

I was in your shoes, I needed a tent for August sheep but also for February goat and bit the bullet on a Soulo RL.

If I was just doing August sheep with this tent I would have no doubt gotten the Niak and saved some weight.

Both of these tents' ability to be freestanding and move around with a fairly small footprint are awesome advantages to both of these models.

I have no experience with the red label tents but I own a Anjan 3 and it is (in my opinion) as much of a *4 season* tent than my Sierra Designs Convert 4 season tent. The only real difference in the two as far snow resistance is the sierra has sod flaps on the vestibules only. The bottom of the fly at the tent body is more ventilated like the hille yellow labels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk