Hogs

Eat 0 , buzzards eat the rest . I stopped eating pigs around our place when we started thermal hunting. I’ve seen them eat and scavenge on the most god awful stuff you could imagine .
I can't say I blame you. They'll eat anything and everything. A friend has a pig infestation/destruction problem on his coffee farm in Hawaii and was asking me for firearms advice to deal with it. He said he could probably shoot 1 a day and not put a dent in the population, but he doesn't know what to do with more than a few pigs a month. His pigs probably eat a little better/safer being amongst fruit, nut, and coffee farms.

OP
HuntHogsnFish
Got my second pig, saw this girl bolting through the woods and cut her off, threw an arrow while she was running that hit behind her and then followed up when she stopped with a perfect double lung. Wish I had checked to confirm sex before I shot but I was caught up in the moment. Still happy but took it as a learning experience as always.
fe86bd2ae3943ca8858a6e33259fa87e.jpg

af2764b5cb554e4ef89183d2fe14c2a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Caught this healthy sow slipping out in the open recently behind the office. She was one of the two largest in a group of 8 right before dark. Stalked in from 98yds to about 15yds across an open field and put a 208gr sub through the engine block. She didn't go 5yds. They have been hell on our landscaping since the oaks started raining acorns about 6 weeks ago.

Attachments

• tusker.jpg
    tusker.jpg
    818.6 KB · Views: 21
1dd563e983d3ad0714b96e0a4ba0ae71.jpg

I run some hog hunts down on my ranch in Texas. We have some absolute units.

For on stand hunt acorns or corn piles. You can add kool aid powder to the corn pile for an extra kick.

For spot in stalk walk into the wind and check oak motts.

With groups of sows with piglets you can usually get a couple bow shots off taking out a few before they figure out what’s happening. Big males will almost always circle you trying to catch your wind and are much more difficult to kill.

For shot placement we say shoot them in the pig. Ha ha.

OP
HuntHogsnFish
1dd563e983d3ad0714b96e0a4ba0ae71.jpg

I run some hog hunts down on my ranch in Texas. We have some absolute units.

For on stand hunt acorns or corn piles. You can add kool aid powder to the corn pile for an extra kick.

For spot in stalk walk into the wind and check oak motts.

With groups of sows with piglets you can usually get a couple bow shots off taking out a few before they figure out what’s happening. Big males will almost always circle you trying to catch your wind and are much more difficult to kill.

For shot placement we say shoot them in the pig. Ha ha.

That dude looks way over 300, you have a weight guess for that crusty boar?

OP
HuntHogsnFish
Eat 0 , buzzards eat the rest . I stopped eating pigs around our place when we started thermal hunting. I’ve seen them eat and scavenge on the most god awful stuff you could imagine .

What’s the worst thing you’ve seen them eating?

There are poultry farms where I live , the farmers are supposed to incinerate the dead chickens , but that cost money . So what usually happens is they pile the dead ones up by the thousands on the back of the property . I’ve seen hogs feasting on a pile of dead chickens that had been in the summer sun for days . I will never forget that smell ….

LostArra

WKR
Hogs eating dead hogs is pretty common.
I don't know if that's the worst but you probably can't think of something they won't eat.
Old tires seem pretty safe though.

State trapper uses sour/fermenting corn similar to the stinky gruel that we use in catfish holes
I've watched deer avoid that by a wide margin but if they were hungry enough a deer would probably try it.

That dude looks way over 300, you have a weight guess for that crusty boar?

I'm not sure. We hunted him and he was a smart old sucker. He would always circle the oak tree he hung out by and would stay out of bow range. No matter how scent free we thought we were he would always pick up scent and not come in. He may still be out there bigger than ever!

TxxAgg

WKR
Got my second pig, saw this girl bolting through the woods and cut her off, threw an arrow while she was running that hit behind her and then followed up when she stopped with a perfect double lung. Wish I had checked to confirm sex before I shot but I was caught up in the moment. Still happy but took it as a learning experience as always.
fe86bd2ae3943ca8858a6e33259fa87e.jpg

af2764b5cb554e4ef89183d2fe14c2a1.jpg

Why does Male/Female matter? Just curious.