Hold on to your GMU 23/26A Shorts boys

Zig4648

FNG
I sent them a email asking why the preserve closure will remain in place after the 23-24 regulatory season. The email referenced it appears the federal government will extend the closure of the 7.9 million acre Noatak Federal Preserve to all non-resident caribou hunting. This closure was put in place for the 2022 and 2023 seasons and expires at the end of June. It appears maybe the transporters know something we don’t about extending the closure on federal land. I will let you know on the response they provide me

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for checking with them and asking them to clarify.

Like I posted earlier, I fear the FSB will extend it too. The RACs, the OSM, and several of the agencies will support it.

I guess we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The feeling I get speaking with Kotz pilots is they are trying to plan their services for worst case scenarios to minimize the "well you said this and promised that, so now what can YOU do to save our hunt?"

The fighting points we're dealing with will show up by late April early May IMO. Catag94 is right...wait and see. Then we all can either sigh in brief relief or saddle up for any remaining privileges' to hunt those 'bou.

Finally implementing a reduced annual local harvest and placing restrictions on indiscriminate cow and calf harvest WILL help this herd recover by thousands each year. My hope, dare I say prediction, is that the feds will recognize these BOG adopted steps as a reasonable 2024/25 plan and then reevaluate any need for over reach once demonstrative results are observed with herd response.

The feeling I get speaking with Kotz pilots is they are trying to plan their services for worst case scenarios to minimize the "well you said this and promised that, so now what can YOU do to save our hunt?"

The fighting points we're dealing with will show up by late April early May IMO. Catag94 is right...wait and see. Then we all can either sigh in brief relief or saddle up for any remaining privileges' to hunt those 'bou.

Finally implementing a reduced annual local harvest and placing restrictions on indiscriminate cow and calf harvest WILL help this herd recover by thousands each year. My hope, dare I say prediction, is that the feds will recognize these BOG adopted steps as a reasonable 2024/25 plan and then reevaluate any need for over reach once demonstrative results are observed with herd response.

Honest question, do you think that the cow and calf restriction will really be followed or penalized

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zig4648

FNG
Larry is correct the transporter stated they are hoping for the best but preparing to fulfill hunts on the worst circumstances. The Alaska troopers were honest and stated the cow and calf proposal restrictions is almost impossible for them to enforce.

Frank glaser said that they loved the calves to make parkas. Wonder if they still do that. Apparently the natives had to be fast other wise ravens would pounce on the fresh calve and pick out their eyes.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not likely an enforcement item, despite the seriousness of the offense. I'm not speaking FOR any Trooper I've interviewed over the years but I am comfortable repeating what context they have shared with me regarding local harvest reporting and game law enforcement:

Non-reporting is extremely common and we don't know for sure how many hundreds plus harvests go unreported every season from all NW communities. Coupled with this truth is the fact the LEOs also desire (require) community support in the Bush, so enforcement is a delicate balance and a difficult task in remote regions and with federally mandated subsistence priorities to game and fish.

My opinion is, there is no feel-good scenario where everyone behaves lawfully and is treated equal by game laws and LEOs. All we can do is act in accordance with the laws and continue to fight for our small harvest opportunities.

The human-caused extinction of the Andreafsky Herd is a prime example of what can and will happen IF locals have easy access to caribou, low to no enforcement and do not refrain from over harvesting simply for subsistence rights.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Not likely an enforcement item, despite the seriousness of the offense. I'm not speaking FOR any Trooper I've interviewed over the years but I am comfortable repeating what context they have shared with me regarding local harvest reporting and game law enforcement:

Non-reporting is extremely common and we don't know for sure how many hundreds plus harvests go unreported every season from all NW communities. Coupled with this truth is the fact the LEOs also desire (require) community support in the Bush, so enforcement is a delicate balance and a difficult task in remote regions and with federally mandated subsistence priorities to game and fish.

My opinion is, there is no feel-good scenario where everyone behaves lawfully and is treated equal by game laws and LEOs. All we can do is act in accordance with the laws and continue to fight for our small harvest opportunities.

The human-caused extinction of the Andreafsky Herd is a prime example of what can and will happen IF locals have easy access to caribou, low to no enforcement and do not refrain from over harvesting simply for subsistence rights.
Larry, will you be joining the meeting today?

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No I missed it. I did catch news of a big win for subsistence groups:

IMO this federal subsistence power shift will be weaponized against non-local hunters and anglers in the near future. It's a dramatic precedent that will undoubtedly model what's coming next for caribou and moose hunters all over the state. Makes my chest a little tight, but i predict the most strategic next step would be to wield that power in the NW communities to limit or deduce non-local harvest opportunities.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
No I missed it. I did catch news of a big win for subsistence groups:

IMO this federal subsistence power shift will be weaponized against non-local hunters and anglers in the near future. It's a dramatic precedent that will undoubtedly model what's coming next for caribou and moose hunters all over the state. Makes my chest a little tight, but i predict the most strategic next step would be to wield that power in the NW communities to limit or deduce non-local harvest opportunities.
I was thinking the final decision on proposed regulatory changes was starting April 2 at 13:30 in Anchorage……

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like the meeting will continue today at 09:00 in Anchorage. Did anyone on here join the meeting yesterday who can give a summary? I am tied up and won’t be able to listen today either, but perhaps someone on here can.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
They are voting on it right now
  1. WP24-30/31- Adopt with OSM modification to close Federal public lands in Units 23 to caribou hunting by non-federally qualified users from August 1 to October 31 to include a population threshold that would remove the closure once the Western Arctic Caribou Herd populations exceeds 200,000 caribou