Home Cutlery?

Whisky

WKR
I have a block of knives from the Shun Classic line. They are amazing. They do go on sale once in a while so you can pick 1-2 up as time goes on, to build your collection. I much preferred the lighter feel and round handles of the Shuns, to the heavy German knives. Really you should go to a Bed Bath and Beyond and try a few out and see which feels best.

For steak knives, I've actually been happy with Pampered Chef. I couldn't justify the big money steak knives.

shadow

FNG
I like our cutco knives. Our original main set is over 50 years old. You cannot beat their steak knives. Got them from my wife's grandmother. I sharpen them myself usually and they seem to hold a pretty good edge, but if I were to get a big knick in the blade, it was no big deal to send them in.

Old_Navy

Lil-Rokslider
For home use, Vict's are hard to beat. I have a few, I prefer the look of the Rosewood Handles.
Another one to check out is the Messermeister Meridian Elite Series. best out of the box sharpness for a mass produced
knife I've ever bought.

if your into retro, check out ForgeCraft Carbons like your GrandMa would have had. good on the budget & easy to sharpen.

Vic's, most about 25+ yrs.old
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/u-vs0y3sOZYtvliT7s45HNVbbdWWUUE07hZcNU68w8CbawUPj3F0UBjsUAAHsJzQkF1X_gYVcFinWLx6Hg=w413-h275

MesserMeisters
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ETnSa3ZiKQiLnR_aA-BZC96XsT_LnJHeteegOUmiX0lWtaF5fbxhSzz5-Ri7bTYKRSPx1Is2YMSPIjuCw=w413-h275

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7wCuEGLAwADfUSszcXNCS3PCJBoSJZOOCu1uDlfawKYu_Wu104CMfOg_tHjfT3ajXpDmllMuHJZjDU9M0g=w184-h275

Sab & Dexter Russell
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/v0j9-lKvkjnvkE8Ou483njjBeYvIKdht7jYWNS-5b1TWOVnwl20iIeWZROIETER3IqdzdNkt-zb1EL9caA=w413-h275

so maybe i am revealing myself as a cheap bastard but i have several knives ranging in quality from the chicago cutlery set I got for a wedding present 20 years ago to some very nice German knives I have purchased over the years when I find them on sale (My Wusthof steak knives were purchased at a closeout for a price that should be criminal). One thing I did a couple years ago was I purchase the worksharp knife and tool sharpener. With some time I can sit down with a hone and turn most pieces of metal into a razor blade, or I can pull out every knife in my collection and have them all VERY sharp within an hour, which i do about once every other month, or as needed. I really do love this tool.

Work Sharp Outdoor - Knife Sharpeners & Tool Sharpeners

mrgreen

WKR
Any recommendations besides the 8" chef, bread and paring knives? I'd also like to hear opinions on the hollow ground edge blades. Love it, hate it? Does it really help or is it just show?

I would switch the Bread knife for a Slicer, and add a flexible Boning knife.

By "hollow ground edge blades" do you mean the scalloped divots on the side of the blade called Grantons? If that's it, my opinion is they only matter on long slicers.

adamm88

WKR
As a professional chef and having worked in food service for over 15 years i have narrowed my work and home knives to what works best(atleast for me). I use japanese full carbon knives, i like the misono sweedish steel and fujiwara full carbon line. For the price the fujwara are hard to beat as long as you know what you are getting into with the carbon.

For most people(professional and not) they dont know better than Wushthof or shun but if you ever get a chance to try a good knife or use a good knife you will never go back to a Wushtof or shun.

Poser

WKR
I worked for awhile at a craft butcher shop. We used these F. Dick knives which are surprisingly inexpensive. The boning knife pictured here was about $25. High carbon, made in Germany. I bet I deboned 150 whole hogs with his knife.
b5bb8a5eac37e4ce0d13a94bcfdfe94e.jpg

We also had a full kitchen at the butcher shop as we did extensive sausage making, head cheese etc. I bought this Mundial chef's knife, again, about $30. High carbon, made in Brazil. When compared to the selection we had, it was just as precise and pleasant to work with util you got to the $300 range chef knives. From my experience, the Consumer grade Wustoff knives aren't very good for the price. Their high end stuff is nice, but comparably overpriced.
68107f112bd3663ebcdfef284d43c7a6.jpg

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
I say buy some Japanese knives. Chef knives to go is a great resource. I second what the above poster said about the Fujiwara knives. Also check out Tojiro, same steel as Shun with a lower price tag because they don't look as fancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my wife a Case Kitchen knife back in May. She loves it. Looks good, holds and edge, easy to sharpen and Made in the USA!

boom

WKR
Personally I would never buy a block set. To many blades I'd never use.

I have from Wustof my 10" chef, 6" chef my wife uses, and a boning knife. I have a Henkles paring.

I did buy a $$$ Japanese Gyoto. It is thin and oh so sharp. The weight of the knife will push it thru most tomatoes. You know what? I still use my 10" most. I'm just faster. I have it effen sharp! I strop it mostly and it will shave my body. You line up on a winter squash, you would never reach for the j-knife. My 10" is a beast. I love smearing down a garlic paste.

I did buy a high carbon Chinese cleaver. Super cool scooping up chop veggies and dumping into the pan.

adamm88

WKR
I did buy a $$$ Japanese Gyoto. It is thin and oh so sharp. The weight of the knife will push it thru most tomatoes. You know what? I still use my 10" most. I'm just faster. I have it effen sharp! I strop it mostly and it will shave my body. You line up on a winter squash, you would never reach for the j-knife. My 10" is a beast. I love smearing down a garlic paste.

People say that we japanese gyuto especially thin ones that they wont take abuse, Trust me when i say even the thin ones will take abuse, most mid level knives will do anything you throw at it beyond chopping wood or beef bones. If you use your thin japanese knife on the winter squash youll never use your geman knife again, trust me, As long as you push cut through it it will slide right through it.

The only thing i stear clear of with my japanese knives are breaking birds down turkey size or bigger(only if im chopping the body for stock, it your just splting joints its fine), and cutting beef bones or something extremely hard. Thats when my 15 dollar victorinox boning knifes come in.