Honey Badger: Painless Brass Trimming

Case prep sucks, and trimming brass even more so.

I was recently looking for a way to speed up the case trimming process, already owning a traditional style Lyman and Forster trimmer, and having recently experimented with the Lee Quick Trim on 5.7x28. I've tried using a hand drill on the Lyman, Forster, and Lee, but was unimpressed. I'm shooting a lot of .223 lately, handling each small piece of brass individually gets tiring, especially when progressive press loading has made me lazy.

Nicer press-mounted trimmers like the Dillon RT 1500 are $400+ but you can put them on a progressive press and not have to handle every piece of brass. Meanwhile, dedicated power trimmers like the Giraud or Henderson are even more and require handling each piece of brass. Plus, the idea of buying something motorized (liable to fail) from a reloading company didn't really appeal to me.

Then I stumbled upon a YouTube video showing the Honey Badger cranking out .223 to 300 Blackout conversions in a single pass.

Sure looked a lot like my Bosch router I bought a couple years ago for some projects and had been sitting unused since their completion.... Turns out it was the same router, the Bosch 1617 EVS. It's a $90 attachment, a $20 shroud to hook up a vacuum, and a $20 end mill. Roughly the equivalent of what it would cost to replace my Forster case trim kit.

Here's a picture of my test setup (that loose screw has since been tightened). Once I get the proper toolhead for my progressive, I'll be moving it over there.

I'm using the trimmer with a Lyman Pro trim die ($50) and although I'm not using a jack nut to get perfectly square case mouths, case OAL is still falling within .0005" all around the edges of the case mouth. I've only run 25 cases through, but am very pleased with the consistency and ease.

If you end up trying one of these out, pay close attention to the trim die instructions. Most trim dies are meant to stand alone as both the trim and size die to ensure the cases don't spin. However, Lyman seems to have a really tight die and recommends running your brass through a sizer first. I overlooked this recommendation and got three cases stuck in the die before I figured out that I'm an idiot who needs to read the instructions.

1689887517935.png

OP
The shortened toolhead for my Apex 10 was backordered, and I was looking at a months-long wait for new stock. Luckily, someone who accidentally ordered one decided to return it, and I was next on the list for fulfillment.

The new shortened toolhead for trimming should arrive today. If all goes as planned, I'll run 500+ cases through a deprime > swage > size > trim routine tonight and report back with how it all goes.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I need to make sure I have all the proper fittings for my shop vac attachment...

OP
Ended up prepping about 250 cases last night after getting everything set up. I sampled the brass and found about +-.002" variability in brass length. I'm betting this has to do with some uneven pressure on the toolhead as I'm swaging on the opposite site and pressure to swage each primer pocket is variable.

I may separate the swage and trim operations later, but I'm not sure I shoot well enough for that brass length to make a difference.

OP
Since I'm already sizing my brass using the full length sizing die, I decided to back out the trim die a little bit to relieve some pressure on the toolhead.

After adjusting the trim die back to proper trim length, I prepped another ~300 cases this evening. Far more of my cases fell in a tolerance of +-.001" than yesterday's batch, but I still had plenty of brass in the +-.002" range. Considering that it took all of ~30 minutes to cycle that brass through the press, I think I can settle for that tolerance for now.

I don't even want to think about how long it would have taken me to trim all of that brass using a manual trimmer, or even a power trimmer that requires handling each piece of brass. Been there, done that. I once made myself 1000 pieces of 300 Blackout brass in early 2012 when all I had was a manual trimmer and mini Harbor Freight chopsaw. The year before that I made 500 pieces of an obscure .22 Spitfire brass and had to trim each one. Never again.

OP
I switched case lubes (previously OneShot, now lanolin in alcohol), adjusted my hold down dies, and ran about 650 more cases through a prep cycled about as fast as I could pull the lever—under 30 minutes. Much smoother and faster cycling with the lanolin lube. Tolerances tightened up a little to +-.0015”.

I ordered a jack screw for the Apex 10 to see if that tightens it up further. Again, don’t think I shoot well enough for it to really matter, but I like to tinker.