Hornady buys Thompson Center

hunting1

WKR
So, is this another company to boycott now?

Wasn't there a string of poaching charges with GR?

I don't remember the outcome, but I thought that's when he kinda faded out the picture.
Game Trails’ Responds to Inaccuracies Regarding Charges
For Immediate Release
Sturgis, Kentucky. April 8, 2009 Misstatements of fact and misleading information related to a misdemeanor case involving Game Trails, a company with operations in Kentucky, has prompted this release to clarify the record.

On March 19, 2009, Game Trails, LLC, and its general manager Dirk MacTavish plead guilty to misdemeanor violations of the Lacy Act. More specifically, the violations were technical in nature and involved the mistagging and telechecking of deer. Both Game Trails and Dirk MacTavish paid fines. No other sanctions were imposed: no probation; no loss of hunting rights; and no loss of outfitter’s licenses. Gregg Ritz was neither charged nor plead guilty to any violation, misdemeanor or otherwise.

At all times throughout the process, Game Trails and Dirk MacTavish were forthright and cooperated fully. The mistakes in tagging deer were admitted and the matter was resolved. As noted, only fines were paid on technical misdemeanor violations. The case has been officially closed.

The relevant facts with regards to this case can be accessed through the United States District Court, Western District of Kentucky, Owensboro. However, the same cannot be said for subsequent reports, which have been littered with half-truths and false accusations. The facts have been misconstrued and inaccurately characterized. This statement will present the truth.

In addition to the aforementioned, the relevant facts are as follows. In 2006, Games Trails was instructed by an agent of the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife and mandated by the land owner Kimball International to reduce the number of deer on the property to help reduce crop damage. Game Trails had been informed by Kimball’s on-site manager that the crop damage caused by deer population had resulted in Kimball International offsetting the tenant farmer’s annual lease in the amount of $35,000. Authorities at Kimball advised Game Trails that its lease would be terminated if the deer population was not reduced.

In an effort to comply, Game Trails conducted the largest ever camera survey for whitetail deer in association with the Quality Deer Management Association (QDMA) to determine the proper number of deer to be harvested. A formal report was presented to Kimball International by the QDMA with a recommendation to harvest 200 deer. However the Commonwealth of Kentucky conducted an independent deer damage assessment and concluded that the harvest number was far greater than 200.

Game Trails sought the advice and cooperation of local Kentucky authorities to request and receive special consideration with the harvest process. The request for special consideration concerning the deer management program was rejected. Instead, Game Trails was informed that if it needed assistance in reducing the population, then it should consider allowing local authorities, their friends and family access to hunt. This idea was not satisfactory to Kimball.

QDMA, on behalf of Game Trails, then appealed directly to officials in Frankfort, Kentucky, the state’s capitol, to request special consideration for the doe harvest. Again, Game Trails was denied special consideration and was informed no consideration would be given as long as Game Trails was in possession of the hunting lease.

Later, in 2006, Kentucky issued Game Trails several hundred Animal Control tags to accommodate the additional deer harvest requirements. The harvesting of the deer and use of the Animal Control tags were improperly managed by a former Game Trails’ site manager, who applied the tags to any hunter; essentially “community tagging” the animals. The former site manager performed all operational aspects of the business and personally tagged every animal. He was later terminated for performance issues unrelated to this incident. It must be noted that no deer went unchecked and all deer were harvested by licensed hunters.

To further clarify and correct the misinformation circulating we would like the public to know the following:

·Neither Dirk MacTavish, General Manager of Game Trails, nor
Gregg Ritz, owner of Games Trails, tagged or tele-checked any of the deer harvested;

·There were no charges or fines levied against Gregg Ritz;

·Neither Dirk MacTavish or Gregg Ritz made false statements to
Investigators, or any other authorities;

·Neither Dirk MacTavish nor Game Trails lost their outfitting
license, hunting rights or were placed on probation;

·Every deer killed was processed and given to families in need;

·With the exception of this 2006 incident, no other violations were
found to have occurred during the period in which Game Trails occupied the property;

·Felony prosecution of former Game Trails’ employee Chris
Helms is only incidental, and is unrelated to this matter; neither Gregg Ritz nor Dirk MacTavish have any involvement with that case; and

·Kimball International sold the Sturgis, Kentucky land last
November (four months prior to this event) and the new landowner chose not to sublease the hunting rights, resulting in Game Trails closing its Kentucky operation at present.

Due to the mistagging and telechekcing at Game Trails, the personal and business reputations of Game Trails, Gregg Ritz and Dirk MacTavish have all been unfairly tarnished. Mistakes were made, and a fine was paid. But Game Trails and Gregg Ritz have built a name of excellence and integrity in the industry, and these technical violations should not diminish that reputation. It is unfortunate that multiple inaccuracies have worked to do just that. Basic fairness dictates that those involved should be judged on the facts of record in this case, and those facts alone.

When you make hunting a business it gets shady, but since the internet posts things that slander is not all true.

TheTone

WKR
So he ran it into the ground years ago and is now back? LOL

He had another poaching case a couple years ago that just kinda magically disappeared. I’d guess attorneys made lots of money on it

Game Trails’ Responds to Inaccuracies Regarding Charges
For Immediate Release
Sturgis, Kentucky. April 8, 2009 Misstatements of fact and misleading information related to a misdemeanor case involving Game Trails, a company with operations in Kentucky, has prompted this release to clarify the record.

On March 19, 2009, Game Trails, LLC, and its general manager Dirk MacTavish plead guilty to misdemeanor violations of the Lacy Act. More specifically, the violations were technical in nature and involved the mistagging and telechecking of deer. Both Game Trails and Dirk MacTavish paid fines. No other sanctions were imposed: no probation; no loss of hunting rights; and no loss of outfitter’s licenses. Gregg Ritz was neither charged nor plead guilty to any violation, misdemeanor or otherwise.

At all times throughout the process, Game Trails and Dirk MacTavish were forthright and cooperated fully. The mistakes in tagging deer were admitted and the matter was resolved. As noted, only fines were paid on technical misdemeanor violations. The case has been officially closed.

The relevant facts with regards to this case can be accessed through the United States District Court, Western District of Kentucky, Owensboro. However, the same cannot be said for subsequent reports, which have been littered with half-truths and false accusations. The facts have been misconstrued and inaccurately characterized. This statement will present the truth.

In addition to the aforementioned, the relevant facts are as follows. In 2006, Games Trails was instructed by an agent of the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife and mandated by the land owner Kimball International to reduce the number of deer on the property to help reduce crop damage. Game Trails had been informed by Kimball’s on-site manager that the crop damage caused by deer population had resulted in Kimball International offsetting the tenant farmer’s annual lease in the amount of $35,000. Authorities at Kimball advised Game Trails that its lease would be terminated if the deer population was not reduced.

In an effort to comply, Game Trails conducted the largest ever camera survey for whitetail deer in association with the Quality Deer Management Association (QDMA) to determine the proper number of deer to be harvested. A formal report was presented to Kimball International by the QDMA with a recommendation to harvest 200 deer. However the Commonwealth of Kentucky conducted an independent deer damage assessment and concluded that the harvest number was far greater than 200.

Game Trails sought the advice and cooperation of local Kentucky authorities to request and receive special consideration with the harvest process. The request for special consideration concerning the deer management program was rejected. Instead, Game Trails was informed that if it needed assistance in reducing the population, then it should consider allowing local authorities, their friends and family access to hunt. This idea was not satisfactory to Kimball.

QDMA, on behalf of Game Trails, then appealed directly to officials in Frankfort, Kentucky, the state’s capitol, to request special consideration for the doe harvest. Again, Game Trails was denied special consideration and was informed no consideration would be given as long as Game Trails was in possession of the hunting lease.

Later, in 2006, Kentucky issued Game Trails several hundred Animal Control tags to accommodate the additional deer harvest requirements. The harvesting of the deer and use of the Animal Control tags were improperly managed by a former Game Trails’ site manager, who applied the tags to any hunter; essentially “community tagging” the animals. The former site manager performed all operational aspects of the business and personally tagged every animal. He was later terminated for performance issues unrelated to this incident. It must be noted that no deer went unchecked and all deer were harvested by licensed hunters.

To further clarify and correct the misinformation circulating we would like the public to know the following:

·Neither Dirk MacTavish, General Manager of Game Trails, nor
Gregg Ritz, owner of Games Trails, tagged or tele-checked any of the deer harvested;

·There were no charges or fines levied against Gregg Ritz;

·Neither Dirk MacTavish or Gregg Ritz made false statements to
Investigators, or any other authorities;

·Neither Dirk MacTavish nor Game Trails lost their outfitting
license, hunting rights or were placed on probation;

·Every deer killed was processed and given to families in need;

·With the exception of this 2006 incident, no other violations were
found to have occurred during the period in which Game Trails occupied the property;

·Felony prosecution of former Game Trails’ employee Chris
Helms is only incidental, and is unrelated to this matter; neither Gregg Ritz nor Dirk MacTavish have any involvement with that case; and

·Kimball International sold the Sturgis, Kentucky land last
November (four months prior to this event) and the new landowner chose not to sublease the hunting rights, resulting in Game Trails closing its Kentucky operation at present.

Due to the mistagging and telechekcing at Game Trails, the personal and business reputations of Game Trails, Gregg Ritz and Dirk MacTavish have all been unfairly tarnished. Mistakes were made, and a fine was paid. But Game Trails and Gregg Ritz have built a name of excellence and integrity in the industry, and these technical violations should not diminish that reputation. It is unfortunate that multiple inaccuracies have worked to do just that. Basic fairness dictates that those involved should be judged on the facts of record in this case, and those facts alone.

When you make hunting a business it gets shady, but since the internet posts things that slander is not all true.

I was thinking something was more recent, like 2015-18.

I'll look later.

I could be wrong as well.

Mcfish

FNG
1714499780919.png

If I was a Hunt Master, I wouldn't take a pic like this making me look choadish. I'd take a pic of me jumping out of a tree with a knife in my teeth ready to stab something. I AM HUNT MASTER!!!!

Just the fact that GR has a bromance with Jim Shockey is enough to make me want to vomit.

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
Hornady and Sierra are keeping component prices real!

Macintosh

WKR
Do I have this right?
1) hornady is buying TC
2) Hornady is price gouging
3) nope, hornady is not price gouging
4) wait, its Greg Ritz (wtf that is) that is buying TC, not hornady.
5) Greg Ritz is a sketchy dude
6) Greg Ritz had nothing to do with the sketchiness, its not fair to tarnish his reputation. (Who is he again??)
7) greg ritz may have had other sketchiness, could still be sketchy
8) greg ritz and jim shocky get along fabulously.

Do I have that all right? Still wondering who greg ritz is. The cracker magnate? How did all of these topics all find their way into the same gossip thread?

Motown

WKR
Do I have this right?
1) hornady is buying TC
2) Hornady is price gouging
3) nope, hornady is not price gouging
4) wait, its Greg Ritz (wtf that is) that is buying TC, not hornady.
5) Greg Ritz is a sketchy dude
6) Greg Ritz had nothing to do with the sketchiness, its not fair to tarnish his reputation. (Who is he again??)
7) greg ritz may have had other sketchiness, could still be sketchy
8) greg ritz and jim shocky get along fabulously.

Do I have that all right? Still wondering who greg ritz is. The cracker magnate? How did all of these topics all find their way into the same gossip thread?
Can’t wait for your recap after this thread hits 8-10 pages!😂

So he ran it into the ground years ago and is now back? LOL

He had another poaching case a couple years ago that just kinda magically disappeared. I’d guess attorneys made lots of money on it
I thought T/C business was booming when he sold it to S&W??? S&W closed T/C because they saw higher profits in pouring more captial into semi-auto rifles and handguns rather than muzzleloaders and bolt actions.

TheTone

WKR
I thought T/C business was booming when he sold it to S&W??? S&W closed T/C because they saw higher profits in pouring more captial into semi-auto rifles and handguns rather than muzzleloaders and bolt actions.
I guess maybe? Looks like he made a ton of money when he sold to SW, but then was still running it for SW? The old news articles aren’t all clear. It certainly was enough money to make his poaching issues vanish and pay really good attorneys.