Hornady CX vs Barnes LRX

Benjblt

WKR
Any one have experience with either one or, better yet, both of these? I'm looking at them in 127 grain and 130 grain for the 6.5 PRC, first in factory loads and eventually in reloads. Use case would be for killing game up to, but not including, elk sized game at up to 650 yards. My main concern would be weather or not they would open up well at the further portion of that range. Of course accuracy would be a concern but I'll sort that part out.

I've also considered the hammer bullets.

SwiftShot

WKR
I have had hell trying to reload them. Accuracy was everywhere, but I got a box of Barnes in Factory ammo and they shot great. Used that box to get my length right. Now the Barnes are shooting well. I have yet to take an animal with either, the ELDX did great on a cow elk. They both should work well if your gun likes them. Like I mentioned, they can be a challenge to reload as when they first came out data was not so easy to find.

Macintosh

WKR
I don’t have experience at the range you are talking about, but I have used Barnes TTSX at more normal hunting range— LRX are supposed to expand at lower velocity than TTSX, as well as have a better BC. I personally like them and I’ve had what I consider very good success with them, even though a lot of people on this site prefer a fragmenting lead bullet that creates a much larger wound cavity. From what I understand the impact velocity of a copper bullet is going to be the limiting factor. Depending on who you ask the impact velocity needs to be above 1600 ft./s at the absolute lowest, which is what Barnes advertises for their LRX, and is lower than almost any other mono bullet. Most monos advertise 1800 fps, although the photos they publish of the expanded bullets at that velocity show extremely minimal expansion to my eye. At the same time you’ll get other folks with significant experience who insist that below 2000 or even 2200 ft./s you will get a high incidence of non-expanding bullets. There are people with experience on both sides of the spectrum, I suspect that you cannot get a definitive answer without experimenting yourself. I would simply plug your numbers into whatever ballistics app you use and see what range that bullet is going to drop below your threshold velocity, give yourself a little wiggle room to start by subtracting some range and use that as your maximum range for the equipment, and obviously shorten that based on your ability to consistently make a good first round hit in the field. I’m guessing the altitude you will be shooting at will make a pretty significant difference as well.
I have not used the cx. Hornady’s previous solid the GMX I could not get to shoot well out of any of my rifles, so I pretty quickly gave up on them. At this point without some significant push, I see no reason for me to try the cx.

I haven’t messed with monometals in 6.5mm but have experience with them in a 30-06. Have an xbolt speed and found that the factory 180cx (Hornady outfitter) was absolute 💩, shot like 3moa. Loaded up some 165gr CX in Lapua Brass with 54.7gr of H4350 or 55gr Staball and found that after several rounds of testing the CX liked .050 of jump. Got those to just over 1moa @100yds.

Decided to try the 168gr TTSX, bench marked the factory offering from Federal shot ~ 1.6MOA. Loaded some into Lapua brass, 55gr H4350 and .050 off jam got .6” avg 5 shot groups @100yds out of those.

Synopsis is I didn’t have much luck with accuracy out of either factory load (although the federal loads were by far better). Reloading can make them far more useful in my opinion, but like others have said be mindful of what the thresholds are for you minimum velocity and don’t push it. For me I’m not going to trust putting one out past 400yds.

JFK

WKR
I have experience with the 129gr lrx in 270win, so fairly similar to a 6.5prc in terms of velocity and ballistics. Look to keep impact on game above 2200fps, which should not be a problem with hand loads. Not sure if factory ammo will get you there, but handloads should. Furthest I’ve shot game at with that bullet was 480 yards on bull elk, and it dropped like it was struck by lightening.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
You’re welcome to do as you please, but copper produces much inferior bullets compared to lead.
I understand this for the most part. I've just shot enough meat up with lead bullets that I'd like to see how I do with monometal. I don't plan to hunt with them exclusively unless I fall in love with them. I used to hunt with 165 grain barnes in my 300 win 20 years ago and the furthest I ever shot at anything was 340 yards but from that range on in it killed everything dead. Of course, that's well within needed velicities. I also plan to give 143 ELD-X's a shot as well. I'm just concerned I'll run into the same issue I've had lately with bear when I've used 180 grain ballistic tips. Some how I end up hitting the bear in the shoulder and/or have follow up shots that to finish it and hit it in the neck or just multiple times. . Moral of the story there's been lots of lost meat and who knows how much lead ends up in the meat and fat that I render. For sure I could use a bonded bullet (And do) but I figure the ELD-X's wil render similar results. I always intend a behind the shoulder shot or anticipate a longer shot but somehow it goes differently and there's a little more bloodshot than I was hoping for.

The Guide

WKR
You really need to shoot them and see which ones shoot better. Have a 6.5 CM that loves 120 CX and hates 127 LRX. A 6mm CM that shoots the 95 LRX better than the ELDX or ELDM and they shoot really good. I also run a 130 CX in a 270 WSM that would be similar speeds to the 6.5 PRC. I wouldn't shoot it past 600 on elk without aiming for hard bone to break them down and hope for forced expansion. Past 600 with the 6.5 PRC, I'd look at an ELDX/ELDM/Berger in the heaviest available for the caliber. I plan to follow that advice with my own 6.5 PRC build (Tikka barrel on order).

Jay

Tmac

WKR
No experience with the CX. I do use and like the LRX, especially for meat hunts. The 145gr. LRX out of my 280Rem is above 2,000fps just past 600 yards at 3k elevation. Furthest shot on game with it has been almost 350 yards, deer went about 30’ and tipped over. Have quickly killed some does under 100 yards with very good damage inside, as one would expect at that impact velocity. Have not had anything go more than about 60’ so far. I’m picky on my shots so all so far have been well placed.

For me I set 2k fps as my minimum impact velocity regardless of what the marketing dept. says. If I could find more info on its actual terminal ballistics at lower speeds I may alter that. But if I expected to be shooting over 400 I’d be using a different bullet and just be careful up close. Good luck what ever you decide.

I have killed a lot of deer with the Nosler E-Tip in 90gn .243 win, and .270wsm with 110 TTsx, and 117 Hammers. All were under 500yds. Longest kill was with the 110 TTsx Barnes. I dunno about 650yds on Elk with a 130ish gn bullet. That is up to you.
As others have mentioned speed really helps copper so I would go on the lighter side if you go mono metal or aim for the shoulder.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I have killed a lot of deer with the Nosler E-Tip in 90gn .243 win, and .270wsm with 110 TTsx, and 117 Hammers. All were under 500yds. Longest kill was with the 110 TTsx Barnes. I dunno about 650yds on Elk with a 130ish gn bullet. That is up to you.
As others have mentioned speed really helps copper so I would go on the lighter side if you go mono metal or aim for the shoulder.
Oh yes. I forgot about the E-tip.

sndmn11

WKR
Any one have experience with either one or, better yet, both of these? I'm looking at them in 127 grain and 130 grain for the 6.5 PRC, first in factory loads and eventually in reloads. Use case would be for killing game up to, but not including, elk sized game at up to 650 yards. My main concern would be weather or not they would open up well at the further portion of that range. Of course accuracy would be a concern but I'll sort that part out.

I've also considered the hammer bullets.

We shoot mono by choice, and fully understand their shortcomings.

We use the gmx bullet for a bit with fine success. No extravagant wounds, or blood trails,.or flops, but all animals (pronghorn and mule deer) died within a stone's throw within a minute. All shots under 300yds.

One mule deer kill with a 6.5creed at maybe 2700fps and the 120gr Nosler Etip and it was a sidewalk wide swath of blood and 40-50 yard pile up. I have worked up a load in 6.5prc to 3200fps and I am thinking about having my brother shoot it this year instead of the berger eol.

85gr hammer in a creed last year that was a bang flop slide down hill, zero blood and very small holes. That was 3430fps, I have a load for the prc at 3700fps. @Ucsdryder is going to have his daughter use that bullet this year for deer so we can see what happens.

The last few years I have loaded the 168ttsx in a 30-06 and it was fine in a pronghorn at 174yds, with a shoot and flop that caused a lot of damage hitting a rib and sending bone pieces everywhere. I shot a cow elk last year at 425ish, knowing it was getting close to my preferred 2250fps, but I knew the area well and everything seemed perfect. She walked off uphill slow about 15s behind the rest of the herd into some sparse timber 60yds from the impact. I found zero blood anywhere at all, and found her 15yds into the trees with my nose. No blood anywhere, and cutting her open it seems I cut the diaphragm more so than popped the lungs.

That last bit has me thinking about bergers/sierras/elds. @KickinNDishin has a good deer tag this year and is loaded up with 145lrx in her 7-08. I don't have a rifle tag, but do have the 168ttsx load and came up with a 175lrx load if I do get one.

My math with that 120gr Etip at 3250fps from the prc has got it at 2230fps at 650 yds and elk elevation. That's a long way, and I bet it could work. I'd much rather stay inside 400yds, and my brother won't shoot past 300, so that's why I think it'll get to hunt over the berger eol.

NSI

WKR
I shoot the 175 LRX in my 300WSM and the 127 LRX in my 6.5 PRC and 6.5 CM. I have no complaints.

The mono is a philosophical thing.

Shooting a TMK behind the shoulder causes extravagant wound channels and quick death with minimal spoilage of anything you might want to eat. It enables hunting with smaller cartridges at longer ranges because it is effective at far lower impact velocities. This has a knock-on effect, as shooters are generally more competent/accurate with smaller cartridges which recoil less. This is all good good good.

However...

What if your priority is minimizing the possibility of needing to track? Shooting that TMK in the shoulder will anchor the animal but blow through 20% of your meat. It'll also leave you wondering what fragments might be in fine-looking meat nearby.

A hunter can always make the decision to step up slightly in recoil and impact velocity (CM to PRC) or down in range (600 to 400 yards for example) and shoot a mono at the shoulder. The animal will be physically restricted from movement, there will be far less meat loss, and whatever meat is nearby will be free of danger to us or to the children we might be feeding.

Neither approach is correct or incorrect. You just need to know what you're doing and why you're doing it - that is, match up the impact velocity with the target location with the projectile chosen.

-J

SDHNTR

WKR
Geezus. This isn’t hard. If the gun likes em, shoot ‘em. Monos aren’t good or bad. They are bullets and they kill just fine when they hit the right spot. I’ve shot and seen shot hundred of game with monos from a few feet to out to beyond 600 yards. All animals died easily when they were hit it the vitals. That’s all that matters . Don’t do dumb stuff (shooting 1000 yards) and hit where you aim and GM/C/LRX/Hammer vs anything else matters not.