"Hot" Primers

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
I looked for 209 primers for almost a year before I found some in stock. I got a little excited when I did find them.... and purchased 2,100 (should be set for life lol). I got 3 types: Federal 209A, CCI In-line 209 Muzzleloader primers, and Cheddite 209 shotshell primers. I plan to use preformed pellets, probably 777 (for now. If accuracy is terrible I may have to get the BH QRBP and try loose powder).

I see people talking about "hot" primers and primer this and primer that. Having no experience with Muzzleloaders or reloading, I thought a primer was a primer. Which of my primers is "hottest"? Which primers would you guess works best with preformed pellets in a .50 cal? I don't need 2,100 primers. I'd like to sell or trade the majority of what I don't need. Is there any way to get a decent idea without physically shooting them? This will be in a CVA Optima V2.

Please educate me with your infinite wisdom. Feel free to throw in any information regarding power, bullet, loads, etc. I know nothing about muzzleloaders but want to extend my opportunities to hunt.

RedPaint

FNG
I have had great luck with CCI 209 Magnum primers with pellets. I have heard of problems with ignition of the pellets if non magnums are used. I bought them off gunbroker and paid a lot for 100.

MThuntr

WKR
209A primers are probably the hottest available with CCI 209M a close second. Cheddite primers are right in line with standard 209s and should work just fine for powder pellets.

The Muzzleloader 209s seem to have a stigma of not being hot but designed for 777 pellets. I've never used them because at one time they were nearly double the cost of standard 209s so I'm of no help. Personally I'd rather have regular 209s over the "muzzleloader" version.

If you ever plan to upgrade to Blackhorn then I'd keep the Federal 209As and get rid of everything else

huck

Lil-Rokslider
Go out an shoot 3 groups of 3 with your different primers and that will tell you what what you need to know.

OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Ah, thank you! However, being totally transparent, I don’t fully understand it. Is the pressure rating the “hot” that people talk about? It’s not a physical temperature difference between primers? It also follows a relatively normal trend in regard to velocity vs pressure, but there are a couple of outliers (i.e. Rem 209p and Win 209 MDL). What roll does the velocity play in the ignition process? The pressure?

ENCORE

WKR
Ah, thank you! However, being totally transparent, I don’t fully understand it. Is the pressure rating the “hot” that people talk about? It’s not a physical temperature difference between primers? It also follows a relatively normal trend in regard to velocity vs pressure, but there are a couple of outliers (i.e. Rem 209p and Win 209 MDL). What roll does the velocity play in the ignition process? The pressure?
IIRC that test was completed with one specific propellant with identical charges and 1 1/8oz of lead shot.
Google is your friend :)

Rich M

WKR
Federal 209 creates the most heat, the heat cooks the powder faster and creates more pressure and theoretically, speed.

I had terrible issues with triple seven primers and magnum loads of triple seven pellets. Extremely dirty fouling to the point of having to thoroughly clean between shots.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
I had terrible issues with triple seven primers and magnum loads of triple seven pellets. Extremely dirty fouling to the point of having to thoroughly clean between shots.
The issue is the Triple7 and it gets worse the more you use.

toggy

FNG
Federal 209 creates the most heat, the heat cooks the powder faster and creates more pressure and theoretically, speed.
I also use 209A. Sometimes we're hunting subzero temps in Minnesota and I want as much 🔥 in the powder as possible when the trigger is pulled.