Hot weather pants - OR Ferrosi vs FL Trace vs Kuiu Tiburon

CoMtnMike

FNG
I am looking for pants for very hot hiking temps - 80-100F. Hunting durability not the prime consideration as more for summer backpacking. My go to is the OR Ferrosi pants, but I am wondering if the new perforated options from FL and Kuiu are remarkably better. Both add hip vents which helps, but is the material actually much better? Doing a Grand Canyon R2R2R backpacking trip in June which might be stupid heat wise, then Virginia in July. And just general backpacking in Colorado all summer can be hot. Really just interested if folks have direct comparison to the Ferrosi - is it worth spending money or is the performance pretty similar in the real world? Going to be hot no matter what...

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
OR Ferrosi's are my favorite warm weather pant I've used by a long shot. Very breathable and dry quickly. I've been surprised by the durability I've gotten from them especially in the brushy and deadfall filled country I find myself in most often. I will say I'm not sure how much of this durability is from the actual fabric itself, or the fact that they are pretty tight fitting and as a result get snagged much less often.

t_carlson

WKR
Never tried the FL ones.

I had a pair of early Tiburons and they were trashed in just a few days. Any contact with brush pulled the fibers and made the pants fuzzy. Not sure if they're still like that. Kuiu seems to fix these issues eventually.

Ferrosis are great. Sitka's Ascent pants are like the Ferrosis but more durable, IMO.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tiburons are like wearing nothing, that being said you should bring a baselayer or rain pants for chilly mornings or windy conditions. Trace pants look like the same material, haven’t worn them just going by hand feel. No idea on the OR pants.

Cyril

FNG
I have tiburons and have ordered and tried on the trace. Tiburons fit me better, fabric is similar. Honestly I think the 3/4 length no mesh back zipper vents of either the stone glacier de Havilland lite or the fist lite corrugate foundry pants are pretty close to equal to both.

shwacker

FNG
I have the FL and the ferrosi. I prefer ferrosi in every way except they don't come in super cool camo patterns that I can really only wear hunting. The browning early season pants are very similar or same fabric as the FL and can be had cheaper usually. All three would be great choices, but I like the fit, stretch, and breathability/drying power of the ferrosi.

Bbrinks

FNG
Tiburons are great comfort-wise but not durable at all. Not even walking through briars mine tore within the first hour

twall13

WKR
This is a great thread, keep the comparisons coming. I have the exact same question. I own a few pairs of OR Ferrosi pants and was interested in either the FL Trace or Kuiu Tiburon specifically for hot weather mule deer archery hunts. My assumption was that the hunting brands would be quieter but I'm still unsure on the breathability. Sounds like durability would go to the Ferrosi without question.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Dos XX

WKR
I haven't tried the Tiburons because Kuiu pants don't fit me. They don't fit me because they don't have odd number waist sizes and inseams shorter than 31". Outdoor Research does. That said, I do have the Tiburon Snap shirts and like them a lot.

The Ferrosi pants are great. I have 2 pairs. I'm going to buy a few more this year.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Kuiu Kutanas as well. I spent a ton of time in them last year. I was impressed how well they performed in hot weather, 80-100F+. They are incredibly durable as well. I have yet to try the Tiburons though so I can’t comment on them.

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
The Kutana’s are awesome for hotter weather. Definitely give them a look.

OP
C

CoMtnMike

FNG
I have the FL and the ferrosi. I prefer ferrosi in every way except they don't come in super cool camo patterns that I can really only wear hunting. The browning early season pants are very similar or same fabric as the FL and can be had cheaper usually. All three would be great choices, but I like the fit, stretch, and breathability/drying power of the ferrosi.
Thanks for the direct comparison. You and others have saved me $150 by convincing me the Ferrosi is as good or better than the new options from FL and Kuiu. Always better to use what you have if you can. And my ferrosi are a light grey, cool in the sun and a color popular witht he hunting brands so fine to hunt in them! Crazy durable, I use the jacket as my backcountry ski touring shell; full on tree ninja hits and they dont show a scrape!

Also great to know browning is a cheaper way to try that material if I want.

OP
C

CoMtnMike

FNG
browning and these Ketl pants seem to have the same material for a $90 pant - but sadly they dont have the hip vents which can be awesome.... But going to stick with my OR's for this GC trip

OP
C

CoMtnMike

FNG
Now for the perfect sun hoody.. ;P Black diamond alpenglow or FL wick? I have both so will probably take both... wool can be warn but I have been impressed with the wick hoody so far and it wont stink after 3 days of sweating...

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now for the perfect sun hoody.. ;P Black diamond alpenglow or FL wick? I have both so will probably take both... wool can be warn but I have been impressed with the wick hoody so far and it wont stink after 3 days of sweating...
I find the alpenglow clammy and stinks fast.

Mojave

WKR
I like the Tiburons never owned the other ones.

Hot and humid I would never wear pants.

I normally wear swim trunk type shorts from Coolibar for that weather.

OP
C

CoMtnMike

FNG
yeah, if not in intense sun shorts are nice. But I have had way too much sun exposure in my life and already had skin cancer, so covering up is the best option. Plus humidity isnt a concern so much in Colorado or Grand Canyon... it will be in VA though!

twall13

WKR
As far as sun hoodies go, there are quite a few good options out there. If you want merino, the Voormi River Run is a lighter weight merino than the FL Wick by a noticeable amount. It looks like they've changed things up in recent years and moved some manufacturing overseas so there are some differences in the River Run line from the ones I own but they've been my go to sun hoodie for really hot weather. While I wouldn't call the brush busting shirts, for how light they are I'm pretty impressed with how well they've held up for me. I do have some snags, etc. but they are still performing well. I'm too fair skinned and burn way too easily to not cover up. I also have an Orvis sun hoodie I like and have considered an Outdoor Research Echo hoodie since I do love the Echo fabric, I've only used the T-shirt though and haven't tried the hoodie.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk