How did my pack get so dang heavy???

hflier

WKR
Even with just your basic pack load it good to use them. Falling with a 50 lb. is no fun.

Travis a lot of us have Kifaru, Eberlestock, and Mystery Ranch, All which have a bow carry Option. So the Bow goes on the back of the pack.

I also have a Kifaru, with a gun bearer (I only use the aux function). Reason I asked is that I don't understand why people don't count there weapon in there total pack weight. Most of your hard packing is going to be coming INTO your area, and OUT (hopefully with an animal), so it doesn't make sense to me why you wouldn't include your weapon in your weights.

Seems like there is as many ways as people to calculate your pack weight. Not saying right or wrong, just an observation.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I also have a Kifaru, with a gun bearer (I only use the aux function). Reason I asked is that I don't understand why people don't count there weapon in there total pack weight. Most of your hard packing is going to be coming INTO your area, and OUT (hopefully with an animal), so it doesn't make sense to me why you wouldn't include your weapon in your weights.

Seems like there is as many ways as people to calculate your pack weight. Not saying right or wrong, just an observation.

No and I completely agree with you. MY Bow and arrows goes as part of my pack weight always. I am assured to have my bow attached to the back on the hike in. On this trip Im packing in with only 3 days of food since we have to come out and meet a few guys at the Trailhead and bring them in after 3 days. So thats one way I am minimizing my load. =-)

Just did a 4 day trip and pack was 49 lbs with bow.

Tested my new Promaster XC525C tripod and couldn't be happier! 2 lbs 1 oz and super stable, great piece of kit!
I was at 1.5 lbs of food per day and pretty much ate it all.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah Im at 1.2 lbs per day minus snacks. My 3 meals add up to that. IM going to be around 48 to 54 depending on a few variables. =-)

Ironman8

WKR
It's not necessarily about "needing" the poles as it is about being efficient. I bet my legs work 15-20% LESS climbing steep trails with trekking poles than without them. Be that with 20 lbs or 100 lbs it's nice to be able to use your arms to help 'pull' yourself up the hill.

Mike

Thanks for the response. I figured they'd be worth their weight in gold in rough/steep country especially with a 50+lb pack, but I'll have to see how heavy I can tolerate before using em since I like my hands free as much as possible. I know 30lbs or so is no problem for me...

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
Start with the little things. I scrutinized my setup all summer and found that little things like two different water carrying containers can add up. I'm down to 40lbs with an eberlestock war hammer coming in at 8.5lbs, 2L water, 5 days of food, 0 degree bag, solar panel and battery powered Christmas lights. But I also use a titanium cookset, msr micro rocket and platypus gravity works water purification. The simple gravity water filtration also doubles as water storage, giving me up to 8L of water on hand without adding extra weight. For me, tweaking little items like that helped my pack go from 60 down to 40 lbs.

Rowndy

FNG
What is the purpose of the trekking poles? I`ve never used them, do they help in some way? I`ve tried using a walking stick, and just ended up dumping it as I like to keep my hands free. I see ALOT of people use them.

Note, this is NOT a sarcastic question, I`m seriously asking.

I always thought they were for sissies, but my boss kept touting them and since I could buy them at wholesale cost I figured whats to lose... I love them, and have now bought several shelters and tents that use them. In the last few weeks I've introduced 2 friends to them, the first said "Well if we haven't learned anything else this trip you've sold me on trekking poles." After a steep climb the other said, "This feels like I'm cheating, as bad as PED's."

chopchop

FNG
My question is how much pack weight do you guys handle before thinking that you need to start using the poles?

It turns out they make a huge difference for me, even with just a light load.

Before poles, I could go on a steep day hike with less than 20lbs, and on the way back down my knee would be killing me, and I'd be gimpy the next day.

I just got some poles and have only used them a couple times. I did a quick overnight ~37lbs for 10 miles and about 1900 ft up and back down... just a little stiffness in the knee, but no pain and nothing at all the next day.

I'll take them every time from here on out.

I get the 12x50 and won't try and talk u out of that but I will say to have such a killer primary and 90% or more used optic then I'd be sacrificing in the spotter, if 40x enough to judge found deer to know whether to hunt or not I'd look for a nikon ed50 with 13-40x eyepiece as it's a very useful 40x IMO, or if 60x mandatory get a kowa 602/3 which is essentially a 60mm poly body ed50 with 60x capability. The ed50 is 22oz including eyepiece, the kowa is 25.5oz plus 8oz eyepiece. And I didn't check your tripod weight but could be room there going to slik 624/34 cf and drop a couple pounds or more. I have a kowa 602 on order and should be here any minute so can say how it stacks up against the ed50 and kowa 664 very shortly, I'm expecting it to kick the ed50s butt and become my new pack spotter but I'm not changing my 10x32 ultravid hd's as my pack glass as much as I think about a 12x50, the kowa 664 and my recently acquired dr optic nobilem 15x60 will take over as my non mountain hunting glass although I could see scouting with the 15s leaving spotter behind in off season. My binos weigh around 21 oz from recollection, likely half of your 12x50? U have to attack glass all at once IMO, u need heavier tripod and head to run heavier glass so vicious cycle, when binos are 21oz and ed50 at 22oz they work superbly on light carbon tripods etc. It's minimal but it's also very effective glass, I don't feel I suffer at all but I know for how little I use a spotter compared to binos the kowa 664 will never go in my pack and only going to check out the 602 to see if it can convince me to drag that up a mountain instead of the ed50. Anyhow my thoughts on your list the biggest gains to be made r in optics side. Good luck!

OP
HellsCanyon
I get the 12x50 and won't try and talk u out of that but I will say to have such a killer primary and 90% or more used optic then I'd be sacrificing in the spotter, if 40x enough to judge found deer to know whether to hunt or not I'd look for a nikon ed50 with 13-40x eyepiece as it's a very useful 40x IMO, or if 60x mandatory get a kowa 602/3 which is essentially a 60mm poly body ed50 with 60x capability. The ed50 is 22oz including eyepiece, the kowa is 25.5oz plus 8oz eyepiece. And I didn't check your tripod weight but could be room there going to slik 624/34 cf and drop a couple pounds or more. I have a kowa 602 on order and should be here any minute so can say how it stacks up against the ed50 and kowa 664 very shortly, I'm expecting it to kick the ed50s butt and become my new pack spotter but I'm not changing my 10x32 ultravid hd's as my pack glass as much as I think about a 12x50, the kowa 664 and my recently acquired dr optic nobilem 15x60 will take over as my non mountain hunting glass although I could see scouting with the 15s leaving spotter behind in off season. My binos weigh around 21 oz from recollection, likely half of your 12x50? U have to attack glass all at once IMO, u need heavier tripod and head to run heavier glass so vicious cycle, when binos are 21oz and ed50 at 22oz they work superbly on light carbon tripods etc. It's minimal but it's also very effective glass, I don't feel I suffer at all but I know for how little I use a spotter compared to binos the kowa 664 will never go in my pack and only going to check out the 602 to see if it can convince me to drag that up a mountain instead of the ed50. Anyhow my thoughts on your list the biggest gains to be made r in optics side. Good luck!

Solid advice for sure. My binos are pretty dang light for 12x50s and come in at 29 oz I think. I came into a situation this year that allowed me to unexpectedly upgrade my binos so I jumped at it. Where I hunted last weekend I was averaging 1.1 miles glassing distance. Used my spotter almost as much as my binos! I'd love to pick up a compact 50mm or similarly lightweight spotter. I think my spotter and tripod currently add about 6 lbs to my pack weight!

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
You know Mike, looking through your list, the only difference in weight I can see is in clothes and optics. I'm sitting at 35 lbs. I'd take the optics too if I could afford it.

On the clothes. I hike many of the same areas you do. I'd throw out the gaitors. Eastern slope of the WA cascades are pretty dry. I usually leave them at home once the snow melts off. Or you could get a pair of the short ultralight ones to keep rocks and a little water out?

To be honest, I'm taking thermal underwear, an el cheapo fleece sweater, and a wool cap. I know it seams minimal, but it's worked fine for me down to 15 deg. Which is pretty dang low for Eastern WA in September. Lower then that, and the fire is getting cranked up or I'm crawling in a sleeping bag.