How did my pack get so dang heavy???

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd ditch the Toiler Paper. Its a mess in the woods, IMO. I prefer the softer paper towels (Costco-Kirkland). Take 2 sheets per day, folded in half and torn when needed so I have 4 rather sturdy squares per day that don't disintegrate all over the place if I have to crap in the rain... I then throw a small pack of scent free wipes in there in case things get messy or to clean hands... Toss the whole kit in a gallon zip-lock freezer bag. Its probably not the lightest approach, but its the cleanest approach I have found.

Ironman8

WKR
With the wipes, a good tip I picked up in a different thread was to dry them out before the trip and just add water when you need them moist...Haven't weighed the difference yet, but should save a bit of weight. That does sound better about the softer paper towels. I'll probably be trying that this year.

6t4nova

WKR
I'm at 48 lbs for a 10 day trip. That's with a little extra food and also 100 oz of water. I could drop down to 42-43 easily but I like to take things for convienance. Example is I have a mega tarp and also paratarp with me. Take the para in case I need to build a shelter over meat or if it starts raining alot. I also take a bivy with me even though I probably won't need it. It's more for protection of my down bag in case of heavy rains.

B6F16B54-63C2-4AED-852B-F11B4EECC545-376-00000033A9497984_zps0630b8f3.jpg

OP
HellsCanyon
I'm at 48 lbs for a 10 day trip. That's with a little extra food and also 100 oz of water. I could drop down to 42-43 easily but I like to take things for convienance. Example is I have a mega tarp and also paratarp with me. Take the para in case I need to build a shelter over meat or if it starts raining alot. I also take a bivy with me even though I probably won't need it. It's more for protection of my down bag in case of heavy rains.

B6F16B54-63C2-4AED-852B-F11B4EECC545-376-00000033A9497984_zps0630b8f3.jpg

Don't see a weapon in that pack?

I'm about out the door for my trip! Finishing up a little work then the 2013 season has officially begun... can't wait! Right around 47.5 lbs I think. Thanks for all the help everyone. :) catch ya on the flipside!

Mike

KMT

WKR
My pack is 45 lbs with three days worth of food and a full camelback. That doesn't include my bow.

So...when you are packing into your spot you carry the bow the whole time? No trekking poles?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Travis a lot of us have Kifaru, Eberlestock, and Mystery Ranch, All which have a bow carry Option. So the Bow goes on the back of the pack.

KMT

WKR
Travis a lot of us have Kifaru, Eberlestock, and Mystery Ranch, All which have a bow carry Option. So the Bow goes on the back of the pack.

Yup. I strap my bow to my pack on the way in. I was just providing a "base" weight. I can add a couple more pounds if I bring a pack rod and fishing stuff with me.

scrubs

FNG
So...when you are packing into your spot you carry the bow the whole time? No trekking poles?

What is the purpose of the trekking poles? I`ve never used them, do they help in some way? I`ve tried using a walking stick, and just ended up dumping it as I like to keep my hands free. I see ALOT of people use them.

Note, this is NOT a sarcastic question, I`m seriously asking.

OP
HellsCanyon
What is the purpose of the trekking poles? I`ve never used them, do they help in some way? I`ve tried using a walking stick, and just ended up dumping it as I like to keep my hands free. I see ALOT of people use them.

Using trekking poles correctly is like having a set of hand rails to help pull myself up a mountain. And they're awesome for having a third (or fourth) balance point on unequal terrain and help absorb a little shock coming down hill.

Mike

I was in the same boat as you a couple months ago. I didn't get the whole trekking pole thing. Then I got a pair and have to agree they are worth their weight in my opinion. They make acceding and descending so much easier especially with a heavy load.

desertcj

WKR
Are you guys really taking ~50lb packs and then adding 75lbs of meat and antlers on top of that if you score?

scrubs

FNG
Thanks for the information HellsCanyon and afteamroper. I figured there was something to it, but I wasn`t sure how it would work in a hunting situation.

hflier

WKR
Try two good trekking poles, not one walking stick. You will never go back to toting a heavy load without them.

I have packed 141 pounds out 10 miles before. That is why I try to go in as light as possible now. Packs like that suck. And trekking poles do help a ton going up hill when you have a lot of weight.

Ironman8

WKR
I've never used trekking poles either but will probably be picking up a pair to pull double duty as my shelter poles.

My question is how much pack weight do you guys handle before thinking that you need to start using the poles?

OP
HellsCanyon
I've never used trekking poles either but will probably be picking up a pair to pull double duty as my shelter poles.

My question is how much pack weight do you guys handle before thinking that you need to start using the poles?

It's not necessarily about "needing" the poles as it is about being efficient. I bet my legs work 15-20% LESS climbing steep trails with trekking poles than without them. Be that with 20 lbs or 100 lbs it's nice to be able to use your arms to help 'pull' yourself up the hill.

Mike

desertcj

WKR
I have packed 141 pounds out 10 miles before. That is why I try to go in as light as possible now. Packs like that suck. And trekking poles do help a ton going up hill when you have a lot of weight.

I was thinking about this while coming down off the mountain today. If I did kill one up there, it would have been HELL packing it off the mountain 6 miles! I'm not even sure I could do it by myself in one trip and the thought of two trips has me questioning my reasoning for going up there in the first place. I actually see more game within a mile of the road then I do 5 miles from the road...