How do you guys carry your spotter in your pack? In a case or in a pocket or the pack unprotected?

repins05

WKR
Leaning towards putting my spotter in a case or the stay on case before it goes in my pack. I don't need a quick draw scenario with it. Not sure I like the weight factor. Also another $100-$200.00 for what I would want. What are you guys doing? If you are using a case...what case are you using. I am looking at a few including the swaro stay on case.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
As I have a Kowa, which does not have a rubber coating, I used shrink wrap to make an armor coat. Then it goes directly into a side pocket with lens covers on.

Side pocket with lens caps on and call it a day. I may put a sock over it at some point though.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Swaro has rubber armor, but still use a neoprene padded scope cover from Kite Optics (still have the scope covers on too)- then in a pack pocket

Kowa 883 tucked under my pack's lid. Still easy to access quickly. Also less likely to be damaged when setting the heavy pack down on any side since the pack is still wider than either protruding end of the scope.

DMTJAGER

FNG
Classified Approved
I have an exterior compartment that holds either of my spotters one is a Nikon 16-47x50 the other is a B&L Elite 20-60x70 on both my mid sized pack and my 7kci pack. I have a HD neoprene case for each scope that allows me to store it with TP attached. I still wrap both in a very flexible and durable sheet of closed cell foam padding.

Rock-o

WKR
Usually in my pack's side pocket. Sometimes I wrap my sitting pad around it in the pocket. On occasion I have left it attached to my tripod and strapped it to the outside of my pack. The Neoprene sleeve for my scope sucks and is in the box.

Swaro ATS 65 in the spotting scope pouch of my SG5900 with my Kuiu glassing pad on the outboard side of the pouch. No stay on case as of yet. Still relatively new to me though.

M70_MAN

FNG
I have a fitted neoprene cover for my Meopta that I leave on all the time. It’s spent a fair amount of time in my pack and has done a good job protecting it.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Side pocket with lens caps on. Sometimes I'll have my raincoat stuffed in the pocket also. It's a bushnell lmss so it's got the rubber coating on it and I've never had an issue with carrying it there.
Now that being said, I've never let Formadilious carry my pack.....🫣

Randy

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I have a kowa 554. No rubber armor on it so I took an old wetsuit and wrapped it in neoprene so it had some protection while in use. When I put it in my pack I first put one of my glassing mittens over each end and then wrap my puffy jacket around the whole thing. Then I stuff that football shape in a small dry sack that is just the length of the scope. I stick that in the main compartment vertical in my pack. Gives really good padded protection while also keeping my puffy and gloves in a dry sack so fills a few needs that way.

I keep it clamped to my tripod/head then strap it to the outside of my pack but under my guide lid. I don't baby my gear by any stretch. I have backups if needed.

Main spotter: Swarovski STS 25-50×65 HD
Secondary: Swarovski STS 20-60x65 NonHD
Backup of backup: Vanguard Endeavor 65S HD

Main tripod: RRS TFC-34L BH-55 with SC-LR clamp
Secondary: RRS TVC-34L Tricer LP
Backup of backup: RRS TVC-33 Tricer LP

Then my main binos are Zeiss Victory 10x56 rangefinder. Secondary are Zeiss Victory 8x56 rangefinder.

If hiking for a long time without plans to use the spotter, it's in the pack in a neoprene case. If hiking from one glassing point to another, it's under the pack lid for quicker access.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The only complaint I have about the neoprene sleeves is the ones I've tried have both sweated or had some moisture issues that either made me question or gave me foggy steam at certain weather variables. I moved away from neoprene in favor of the lighter and puffier closed cell foam DIY job.

could be an environment variable but in AK if it can go wrong it will. the KISS method still has merit here.