How important are rain pants

Depends on where you’re going and if it’s a long way from the truck or camp. Here in Colorado I’ve had them for years mostly for temperature regulation or wind block but they’re also nice in the alpine for rain,sleet,snow. I’ve had some mil surplus goretex, a couple different kinds for kuiu, several generic. Currently have a pair from Black Diamond that are a decent affordable option that won’t make you regret carrying them but will handle weather if you need it to.

You can find a good value from hiking brands if you’re looking for a just in case set. Unless you plan on living in them I don’t think the breathable rating matters too much as long as you have zippered legs to vent.

Depends on where you’re going and if it’s a long way from the truck or camp. Here in Colorado I’ve had them for years mostly for temperature regulation or wind block but they’re also nice in the alpine for rain,sleet,snow. I’ve had some mil surplus goretex, a couple different kinds for kuiu, several generic. Currently have a pair from Black Diamond that are a decent affordable option that won’t make you regret carrying them but will handle weather if you need it to.

You can find a good value from hiking brands if you’re looking for a just in case set. Unless you plan on living in them I don’t think the breathable rating matters too much as long as you have zippered legs to vent.
It will be for a 2nd season Colorado rifle hunt. Will set up main camp by the truck and hike in if needed depending on weather. I’m looking at the kings paramount line. They have the jacket and pants discounted so it’s like $240 for the set.

As others have said, it depends on where and when. I hunt mostly in Colorado and don't typically use rain pants. Have a jacket for afternoon thunderstorms. You might also consider gaiters. They are handy for morning dew/frost and after a rain storm when brush is wet. The work pretty well in snow as well if you already have your thermal layers sorted. Can pull off and put in your pack when things dry out a bit and warm up.
It will be for 2nd season rifle in Colorado. I have gaiters as well and typically wear them in the mornings until things dry off. Kings has their paramount rain set heavily discounted so I can add the pants on for like $75.

obviously nice for morning dews and any amount of rain or wet snow.

Even in dry snow, if spot&stalking they are very nice to have vs not

Back