How long does a repackaged Dehydrated meal last in a ziplock

id450

WKR
Hi, I’m gonna try the repack my meals in a zip lock trick. I plan to include the 02 absorber. How old will these last if I don’t eat one ? Meaning, a Notable difference from oxidation. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
I’m not sure about oxidation, but after two weeks it will start to get a plastic taste, and after a month it’s a pretty bad plastic taste.

OP
I

id450

WKR
Perfect, I’m plenty good to pack a few days before the trip then. Thank you

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I have to imagine this depends on what it is. The only time I've tried this was with Bear Creek soup mix, and it seemed fine to me after a month.

OP
I

id450

WKR
I have to imagine this depends on what it is. The only time I've tried this was with Bear Creek soup mix, and it seemed fine to me after a month.

Just standard MT house, PR and heathers choice type food.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I've never tried those. Any reason you don't like the package they come in, or are you trying to buy a bulk container?

OP
I

id450

WKR
Sounds like A lot of Guys move it over to a zip lock 1q freezer bag to save space. You can really Compress it down. I assume it save a few grams but I’m gonna try it for the space savings. It’s safe to add your hot water to the ziplock and eat. I do plan to take one original package as a pouch for the cool time as insulation and just in case there’s is a leak.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
It's been a while since I've bought Mountain House, but they were vacuum sealed tight. It doesn't get any more compact than that. Sorry if I muddied up your thread. I've mostly moved away from freeze dried meal in a bag types like that, so I'm out of touch how things are now.

BBob

WKR
Dehydrated. Ex: mountain house
Technically Mtn House and the like are freeze dried. When repacking you don't need the oxygen absorber, they'll do fine without for the short period you're talking about. Once you open the original bag (that was vacuumed) and expose the oxygen absorber to atmosphere they aren't good for much absorption anyway.

OP
I

id450

WKR
Theres a ton of threads, mostly, eliminate the extra air or puffiness in the bag from the manufacture. I’m gonna give it a go and see if it’s much difference. I was just asking how long it will hold quality out of the origanl bag. Sounds like 2 weeks.

OP
I

id450

WKR
It saves a fair amount of volume in your pack. Trash volume is smaller too.

Perfect , appreciate the help. You thinking about 2 weeks as stated ?

BBob

WKR
Sounds like 2 weeks.
I've vac bagged them after if I didn't use them and put them in the freezer for months.
You thinking about 2 weeks as stated ?
Two weeks pretty easy. I don't think longer would hurt but I've typically just prepped them a week or so out. I mostly home dehydrate anymore and don't eat the freeze dried so much at all. I
do keep some around just in case for a quick trip.

TaperPin

WKR
Sounds like A lot of Guys move it over to a zip lock 1q freezer bag to save space. You can really Compress it down. I assume it save a few grams but I’m gonna try it for the space savings. It’s safe to add your hot water to the ziplock and eat. I do plan to take one original package as a pouch for the cool time as insulation and just in case there’s is a leak.

Yes, it‘s an all around better way to pack food. The only packaging I can’t give up are the styrofoam cups in cup-o-noodle soup - coffee, hot chocolate, rehydrating dehydrated stuff. 🙂

Ucsdryder

WKR
I don’t get it. If you want to save volume of air, then open it a little, push air out, and zip lock back closed. This is like cutting the handle odd your toothbrush, but dumber.