How many have strictly done a predator hunt (Wolf)

Luked

WKR
Im still pretty new to hunting out west and with the OTC stuff in CO for elk getting tougher, and the possibility of OTC going away all together in the near future from what I am hearing, I am coming up wiht other ideas to hunt out west.
One of the things I have noticed is Montana and Idaho have really open seasons for Wolves.
Thought it would be a neat hunt and something different just doing strictly a predator hunt for wolves in Idaho or Montana.
Have any of you done something like this?
If so would you do it again?

JCS271

FNG
Intentionally targeting wolves in Idaho or Montana will be the hardest thing you have EVER hunted. Success is literally about a tenth of one percent of tags sold.

But......

If you are successful it will be one of the most rewarding things you have ever done.

Here's a few fairly recent ones to give you some motivation.

2020_1023_11301347~2.jpg

oL5sRS8.jpg

HNkltC9l (1).jpg

Good luck, you WILL need it. :)

I am wanting to start focusing on wolves more in Idaho and Montana as well. I will have to travel, but that is all part of the adventure.

MHWASH

WKR
Every year we do a spring bear hunt in Idaho. Early this year I tried a solo 3 day wolf hunt, but my timing was wrong with too much snow and zero animals of any kind located.

BLJ

WKR
Yep
Wolves and bears
Had an absolute blast and learned a lot
Tags are incredibly cheap and it helps out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve often thought that this would be the best way to have the opportunity to hunt some amazing country and have some form of success at the same time.
But, if I had the opportunity for just wolves, (as the OP asked) that wouldn’t stop me from going. 😁

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have done a couple of bear/wolf hunts in Idaho. If I don't get my elk or deer tags I go anyway for predators. Wolf will be a tough hunt. Sometimes they are there and sometimes you never find them. Calling could help. Plenty of bears all over. Spring is a far easier hunt. I have done spring but will often do it in the fall so I can continue to scout and learn the patterns where I deer hunt.

Q child

WKR
I have not hunted predators, and at this point in my hunting career am not interested in it. Cheers to those that do it and enjoy it.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting Apex predators is truly exciting. I have hunted bear, wolf and Mtn Lion. Well worth the effort even if you don't score. However, realistically I would only hunt wolf in Canada. To much politics in the US and a planned hunt could be cancelled at any time in lower 48.

A good animal to practice on is the Bobcat. If you can kill a Bobcat or coyote with consistency you have good skills. Plus who does not want a Bobcat on the wall?

N.ID7803

WKR
Like many have already said, wolves are incredibly difficult to hunt, but it can be done. I would recommend coming for a bear/wolf combo hunt. Please consider joining The Foundation for Wildlife Management, F4WM.ORG if you are buying a wolf tag in Idaho or Montana.

I am hoping that we have another wolf season soon here in Wisconsin. The last year we had a season I didn't draw a tag but some guys I know did reel well, 6 wolfs in 2 days. One of them was really nice. I dont know the guy that shot the big one personally. Hopefully they get delisted soon.
This was the biggest in 2 days of hunting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210223-153654_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210223-153654_Snapchat.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 81

Tango_41

FNG
Im still pretty new to hunting out west and with the OTC stuff in CO for elk getting tougher, and the possibility of OTC going away all together in the near future from what I am hearing, I am coming up wiht other ideas to hunt out west.
One of the things I have noticed is Montana and Idaho have really open seasons for Wolves.
Thought it would be a neat hunt and something different just doing strictly a predator hunt for wolves in Idaho or Montana.
Have any of you done something like this?
If so would you do it again?
Bear with a bow was a great hunt, plus you get a great hide and a bunch of meat out of it!

mdtennant

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone care to share some tips on what they have found that works or does not work with wolves? I get that it is hard, but it can be done, as evidenced by the photos. What would be helpful is understanding what worked and why you felt it worked, as well as what did not work at all.

Do you set up a calling situation like you would with coyotes? Do you locate first and then set up? Clearly playing the wind and using the terrain to funnel are basics for coyotes... what about wolves? What works, what does not?

I am asking simply because elk and deer sign in two of the areas I have been hunting recently almost instantly disappeared in conjunction with me seeing wolf tracks in the snow, finding a ton of wolf sat with fur in it, and hearing two different wolf packs howling nearby the two different locations. [I know, what are the chances that I'd run into two different packs in two different areas on the same day?]

It was like the elk and deer that were there a few weeks prior had just packed up and left or went underground. Might be pure speculation and/or coincidence, but the record in the snow does not lie. Sign was there two weeks ago and nothing since the wolves showed up.

So, if someone would be willing to help a rookie out, I'd love to learn more about wolf hunting and how to be improve my odds.

Thanks!