How much backpack weight on shoulder straps?

Gambyt

FNG
I want to buy a backpack to hunt out of, but fibromyalgia in my neck and shoulders causes pain complications. But I've seen pics of guys with loaded packs with shoulder straps off the shoulders. Are these configurations possible? I need to know before I jump in. I have the fever and I just have to hunt. Any advice would be welcome.

muleman

WKR
A pack frame taller than your torso length with properly designed load lifter straps can keep the weight off your shoulders.

There are numerous posts in this forum on this sbuject. Of the handful of packs I have personnaly owned. The Kifaru 26" Duplex and now the Stone Glacier KruX frame can provided me zero weight on my shoulders if I desired that.

Ramoniac

FNG
I've got a Kifaru 26" Bikini frame, and at 5'10", just about all the weight is on my hips. The straps keep the pack from falling backwards, but as far as vertical weight bearing goes, it's like, almost entirely off my shoulders and on my waist/hips.

I am also 5'-10" and own a 26" Kifaru Bikini frame and my experience is the same as muleman and Ramoniac, weight carried on my shoulders is virtually zero.

Shrek

WKR
I'm using a Kifaru Duplex and I can get almost all the weight on my hips. There is pressure on the front of my shoulder but not digging down. My recommendation is to order one and try it and if it doesn't work for you then return it.

Daniel_M

WKR
I'm by no means an expert, but a well setup pack should have very little shoulder pressure, hence the load lifters. Most weight should be on the waist.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
65/70 on hips and 30 on shoulders is text book answer.

Anything under 50 is all on my hips, but after that I spread the weight out a little.

Ironman8

WKR
65/70 on hips and 30 on shoulders is text book answer.

Anything under 50 is all on my hips, but after that I spread the weight out a little.

That's interesting Aron. I was doing a training hike last night and playing with weight distribution and how the pack rides. The only way that I could change how much downward pressure the pack had on my shoulders, was by shortening the length from hip belt to shoulder pads. The shorter it was, the more weight my shoulders carried, the longer it was, the load lifters would be pulling the pads off my shoulder and I'd actually have that gap between the top of my shoulder and the pad.

Is this how you adjust it, or is there another way?

OP
G

Gambyt

FNG
Is ere a problem if I want to keep all the weight on my hips? Or if I do, inferring from Aron's reply, perhaps I need to keep the weight to 50 lbs or less? I don't know how my shoulders are going to react to a heavy load until I put them to the test. However, nothing is going to stop me...

muleman

WKR
Is ere a problem if I want to keep all the weight on my hips? Or if I do, inferring from Aron's reply, perhaps I need to keep the weight to 50 lbs or less? I don't know how my shoulders are going to react to a heavy load until I put them to the test. However, nothing is going to stop me...

With no weight on the shoulders your pack will rock side to side when you walk. With low weight not much of a problem. With a heavy load you will probably find it is easier to carry and more stable to have some weight on your shoulders.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's interesting Aron. I was doing a training hike last night and playing with weight distribution and how the pack rides. The only way that I could change how much downward pressure the pack had on my shoulders, was by shortening the length from hip belt to shoulder pads. The shorter it was, the more weight my shoulders carried, the longer it was, the load lifters would be pulling the pads off my shoulder and I'd actually have that gap between the top of my shoulder and the pad.

Is this how you adjust it, or is there another way?

Yep, that way will work (lengthening torso), but you can also let pack sag a bit as well.

On mountain now....will respond in more depth later.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I generally prefer a 75/25 or even an 80/20 split of hips vs shoulders. With our packs it's pretty easy to adjust the shoulder harness high enough that it doesn't even contact the top of the shoulders though.

When I let my wife adjust her harness when we backpack she always ends up with the top of the harness 3-4" above the top of her shoulders. She likes it that way and I don't say a word...

When I let my wife adjust her harness when we backpack she always ends up with the top of the harness 3-4" above the top of her shoulders. She likes it that way and I don't say a word...

with a light to moderate load maybe, but if were talking hunting, that sounds like a recipe for sore, overtaxed hips to me...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For me if the loads are really heavy (90+ pounds is really heavy for me) and packing out a long distance with many hours with the the pack on I often find I am adjusting the load slightly from the hips to more to the shoulders and back to give my hips or shoulders a bit of a break occasionally. Just something I have found I've had to do from time to time no matter what pack I am using. Granted if only packing out 2-3 miles in decent terrain you can do dang near anything for an hour or two. Its the 10+ mile pack outs with a heavy load where I feel I need to do this.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
luke - I do the same thing. really helps give one area a break before switching back

tttoadman

WKR
For me if the loads are really heavy (90+ pounds is really heavy for me) and packing out a long distance with many hours with the the pack on I often find I am adjusting the load slightly from the hips to more to the shoulders and back to give my hips or shoulders a bit of a break occasionally. Just something I have found I've had to do from time to time no matter what pack I am using. Granted if only packing out 2-3 miles in decent terrain you can do dang near anything for an hour or two. Its the 10+ mile pack outs with a heavy load where I feel I need to do this.

This for me. I am a little on the wimpy side. I get sore on the hips long before I get sore on the shoulders. I would guess I am close to 60/40 and can load or unload the shoulders with minor changes in posture while packing.