How much do barrels help?

Like the title says. Do they make your bait last longer? I feel like I’ve read about guys refilling them everyday. That’s a lot of bait to go through and I had the impression it was supposed to make it last longer.

1. Keeps most of the crows out. 100 crows can eat a lot of bait every day.

2. Keeps the rain out. Kinda. No bear wants soggy bread, donut’s, dog food etc.

3. Keeps them from spreading the bait all over creation. You want them to have to come to that spot because that’s where you have a shot.

In my opinion if you’re refilling a barrel every day that’s good because it means you have big bears or lots of bears. You don’t want to keep them from eating or they will just go somewhere else.

Keep your holes about 12x6 inches so they can't get their head inside. After 20 years baiting in Alaska I figured it out after a while. Also put a small amount on the ground next to the barrel so the wind will carry scent. Had many grizzly rip the barrel loose and take it a couple hundred yards into heavy brush for privacy. Finally started using 3/8 inch chain and running it to several big spruce or alder trees. That solved that problem !

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Done it both ways and gave up on the barrel. We just use logs to form a v for the shot we want. We moved to a thicker area and we get crows, but not enough to make a difference. Use to be on the edge of rokslide and I swear every crow in North Idaho took its share! I think crows calling is actually helpful though, consistent crows calling equals food for most predators. I would think the math is pretty easy-do the crows eat more than the weight and hassle of packing a barrel? Are you packing on your back or do you have four wheeler access? We are all on our back, so that is an easy choice!

OP
C
Done it both ways and gave up on the barrel. We just use logs to form a v for the shot we want. We moved to a thicker area and we get crows, but not enough to make a difference. Use to be on the edge of rokslide and I swear every crow in North Idaho took its share! I think crows calling is actually helpful though, consistent crows calling equals food for most predators. I would think the math is pretty easy-do the crows eat more than the weight and hassle of packing a barrel? Are you packing on your back or do you have four wheeler access? We are all on our back, so that is an easy choice!
That’s a solid point. Here we can only use them on private land and I only have access to 20 acres so I would carry it in but we’re only allowed holes 1” or less or 22” or larger. Kinda seems not worth it but I feel like everyone else seems to use them which made me think I was missing something