How much of a PIA factor are Dyeema/DCF for light and fast camping

PlanoDano

FNG
After much debate I decided to go with SilPoly vs DCF for my new shelter tarp. I still have time to call the maker and change my mind. I was afraid that DCF would have an increased fiddle factor when tearing down camp at 04:00 in a lite frost. I already hate my inflatable sleeping pad because of the amount of work to properly stow it under the same conditions. Experienced user please chime in and tell me if my concern is overblown.

Lawnboi

WKR
Wouldn’t dcf be easier since it dosnt become saturated with water?

I’m curious as well, I wouldn’t mind a dcf shelter but need to know it’s going to last before I spend the money.

OP
P

PlanoDano

FNG
"Wouldn’t dcf be easier since it dosnt become saturated with water? "

I went to silPoly hoping it would hold less water than with silNylon. I know exactly what you mean having to unpack and dry out in the afternoon

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
After much debate I decided to go with SilPoly vs DCF for my new shelter tarp. I still have time to call the maker and change my mind. I was afraid that DCF would have an increased fiddle factor when tearing down camp at 04:00 in a lite frost. I already hate my inflatable sleeping pad because of the amount of work to properly stow it under the same conditions. Experienced user please chime in and tell me if my concern is overblown.

DCF is easier . BTW , personal opinion but I don't feel sil poly is a premium material at all . We built some test shelters and were not impressed . It was ok , but I would take nylon everyday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
My experience with DCF is limited to ones square tarp, but all things considered, as of now I prefer silnylon--it is less expensive, packs smaller, seems to have more stretch, which is sometimes a good thing, sometimes not, provides better sunshade if you need it, blends into the background better, and the weight advantage of DCF, which is real, can end up not seeming as dramatic, because of the fixed weight of the other components you need for set-up (stakes, guylines, maybe a pole). DCF doesn't absorb water like silnylon, but that has never been an issue for me in the field. I know that many folks see the net advantages/disadvantages differently but I didn't like the material as much as I had thought i would.

mtnkid85

WKR
Its not a problem to tear it down, a light shake will pop most moisture right off of it.
The one fiddle factor that Ive found with DCF is it can NOT stand up to abrasion/poking. So sometimes getting the setup just right to avoid stumps, rocks, branches can be a slight pain.