How much protein per day?

goose21

FNG
How much protein should I be taking in per day. I have started doing myfitnesspal to try and watch what I am eating. I am only taking in around 130 grams of protein a day. I am 6'4 and 235 pounds. I lift 3 days a week and try to do some cardio 2-3 days a week including pack hikes and 3-5 mile runs. Trying to get my diet better under control and lose some fat and get around 220 pounds. I have ready I should be closer to 1 gram per pound of body weight. Is this true for weight loss and lean mass building. Should I start taking a protein powder?

Thanks
Jason

Retterath

WKR
According to bodybuilding.com and most fitness mags they say 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of body weight if your planning on really putting on muscle.

Ironman8

WKR
There's a lot of ways to go about it, but just keep in mind what works for me, may not work for you due to all the variables involved. Anything you read, or anything anyone tells you here, would just be a starting point for you to experiment for what works for you.

That said, a good starting point for protein is 1 gram per lb of LEAN body mass. If you try that and feel like you're losing muscle, then bump it up to 1g/lb of body weight. I would experiment with carbs and figure out how much you need to fuel your workouts and everyday life but try to stay away from processed grains and sugars (get your carbs from fruits, veggies, and natural starches like rice and [sweet] potatoes). And don't be afraid of eating quality fats like nuts, avocados, egg yokes, and other healthy/natural sources.

Last edited:
I used this as a starting point
d81ef75ede001d3785fc45dfcba82e4d.jpg

I ended up dropping carbs down a bit because i was trying to lose fat with a caloric deficit , but it depends on how your body reacts and how active you are. I used these with my target weight punched in not the weight i was. Protein powder is a great way to insure you get enough especially around your workouts, but food is the best way.

OP
G

goose21

FNG
Ok. With that model I should start trying to get 200-220 grams of protein a day. I have ordered a good protein powder and will start using it in my shakes after I work out.

Back in the day when I was a gym rat, I made sure to slam down protein non-stop during the day. And especially within minutes of finishing a lifting session. I consumed 1.5 gr/ pound of body weight.