How much to compress your down bag

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
How compact do you guys pack your down sleeping bag? I have a big agnes lost ranger and in the stuff sack its pretty big still I was thinking about moving to the next size smaller but do t want to hurt the bag.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
+1. I've all but stopped stuffing my bag in a stuffsack. I have so much confidence in the waterproofness of my pack bag, I just stuff my quilt down in the bottom. Works good.

I put it in an oversized roll top stuff sack and compress it the minimum amount necessary to fit everything in my bag.

Can't say for sure how much is too much but try to avoid compressing more than is required.

HookUp

WKR
I have a Nemo Riff 15 and compacts to the size of a jet boil. It has a larger bag for when in storage.

BRWNBR

WKR
I stuff it as small as possible on a hunt. Store it in a large loose gear bag in the off season.

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
+1. I've all but stopped stuffing my bag in a stuffsack. I have so much confidence in the waterproofness of my pack bag, I just stuff my quilt down in the bottom. Works good.

Out of curiosity, which pack for that kind of waterproofness on the west side? Seek Outside?

Owenst7

WKR
Western mountaineering's statement that has been reposted all over backpackinglight is that their testing showed no difference in loft due to compression of down.

Synthetic is a different story. Two completely different animals.

jmez

WKR
I compress mine down pretty small in the pack. The stuff sack it came with was pretty big so I use one that is significantly smaller. It hasn't caused any problems with mine. I just don't leave it compressed down any longer than I have to