How much Wyoming wind should someone plan on?

TaperPin

WKR
This was posted in the Fort Collins vs Cheyenne thread and it’s really cool.

This is annual average wind, not wind gusts, or measurements from a windy day. I’ve always said it’s rare when there isn’t at least a 5 mph breeze, and what feels like dead calm is actually a few mph. lol

For someone practicing their 1000 yard antelope shots with a Rokslide special, you’ll need to get good at wind estimation! A3B47733-851E-43EB-A194-BA40AD6A455A.jpeg

djauofd

FNG
fba415747ad241fca35aaf3df5fccdfa.jpg

A lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a pretty cool map. I’ve hunted in some horrific winds in Wyoming!

manitou1

WKR
It’s funny, I’ve antelope hunted in a few diff units in central wy a few times, and never really saw much wind—as in, barely moving the grass at all. But the minute I pull out a fly rod, son, you might be better off flying a kite that day…
It seems that October is one of our least windy months.
DecApr is when it gets real IMO... or maybe it is more noticeable diring cold temps.

taskswap

WKR
I wonder what Colorado looks like.

Wyoming is no joke but my worst wind experience was in Nebraska. It's the only time I've been scared to drive even 45 and gotten off the highway, not to get out of the rain, but because of wind...

Reactions: NSI

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
We bought a house in Cody to retire in while I was still working in CA. I had 3-4 more years of work, so we rented it out. As I'd been there to hunt in November many times I knew its cold and windy. One day I came home from work and saw on the news that Cody recorded a 86 MPH gust during a cold storm in March. The next day I told my very warm blooded Italian wife, that we're selling the house. Looking at that map.....hell Cody isn't even considered that bad!

NSI

WKR
I wonder what Colorado looks like.

Wyoming is no joke but my worst wind experience was in Nebraska. It's the only time I've been scared to drive even 45 and gotten off the highway, not to get out of the rain, but because of wind...
Got pinned down at the Kimball airport for 2 days, 40 knot crosswinds didn't let up for a minute.

-J

OP
TaperPin

TaperPin

WKR
We bought a house in Cody to retire in while I was still working in CA. I had 3-4 more years of work, so we rented it out. As I'd been there to hunt in November many times I knew its cold and windy. One day I came home from work and saw on the news that Cody recorded a 86 MPH gust during a cold storm in March. The next day I told my very warm blooded Italian wife, that we're selling the house. Looking at that map.....hell Cody isn't even considered that bad!
I was just reading about the highest recorded gust and that was north of Cody 30 miles or so - 128 mph a couple years ago. Lol

Hoffy

FNG
Based on the map I guess I hunt one of the windier areas, so it makes sense I've worried about it a bit more. I plan on a 10mph wind for my max range. Definitely doesn't make it any easier

wyosam

WKR

Happens a lot. Wyoming weather does a pretty good job of keeping the riff raff out. (No offense intended). I eventually had to leave and move to AK for the nicer weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
Wind is an issue on 50% of my rifle hunts I'm WY. Ive hunted in wind so intense that I doubt even the most talented shooters could take a 200+ yard shot.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Rippey715

FNG
Always fun holding into the wind, with your steering wheel, in you car, on the highway, driving to a match in Cody. Kestrel should have a special "Wyoming" setting that goes about 45mph and starts at 15.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Wind is an issue on 50% of my rifle hunts I'm WY. Ive hunted in wind so intense that I doubt even the most talented shooters could take a 200+ yard shot.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
Could easily see this. Been close on Iowa deer hunts.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Wind gusts last weekend topped out at 90mph. Was really annoying all weekend